We spent a morning at Campo Rene and there are some new things there:

look at the shell art:

the ramp is same as ever:

Inside the restaurant

someone's poem:

most of the items on the menu are NOT available but it sure looks fancy:

and we saw an osprey with a fish as we were leaving...nice send off:

StuckSucks - 4-6-2015 at 03:26 PM

Is Rene on the way to Punta Abreojos? Looks like a great place to grab a bite.

rts551 - 4-6-2015 at 04:04 PM

The picture of the "old" campo Rene always brings fond memories. My father used to sit with Rene and later Cappy to tip the bottle (usually tequila) and talk a little.

willardguy - 4-6-2015 at 04:07 PM

still need a crash helmet going into the cabins?

Russ - 4-6-2015 at 04:30 PM

Friends just stayed in the two new cabins that have their own bathrooms with hot water. Can't find the photos they sent but they look nicer than the small boxes with bath rooms out back with iffi water and cleanliness.

brewer - 4-6-2015 at 05:07 PM

Looks nicely cleaned up. It has always been a good place to camp and take off in the day and explore. We'll be back there in June.

rts551 - 4-6-2015 at 05:59 PM

Easy to launch your boat... at high tide...or a Kayak any time

elgatoloco - 4-6-2015 at 06:16 PM

Late 90's we drove in and place was closed. We drove down the airstrip and camped on the edge of the Estero and fished from kayaks and marveled at the huge flocks of birds. The tidal swings were spectacular and in the afternoon on the incoming 6-7 dolphins surfed in and cruised around for a feed and then headed out. Next day they did the same. It was February and cold but we toughed it out for a couple days then headed to SOC.

bajajudy - 4-6-2015 at 09:46 PM

It is such a special place. They have always had shell art but not that fancy
Love the place

dtbushpilot - 4-6-2015 at 09:48 PM

One of my favorite Baja places. I tried the burger last time I was there, it didn't look like the picture on the menu, not even a little bit. Oh well, who orders a burger in Baja anyway?

BajaBlanca - 4-7-2015 at 07:39 AM

StarS. Campo Rene is indeed on the way from the highway to Abreojos

The fish tacos are ok, nothing to write home about foodwise but the location is spectacular and quite unique......when you go there, you want to spend hours. Birdwatching is incredible. Fishing is usually great. When kayaking one must watch the tidal pull, it is very strong and I have heard that sometimes the boats are pulled out Nd have to wait for the tide to come in to return!

Many people spend months there during the hot summers, very nice people.

The new cabins are nice!

aguachico - 4-7-2015 at 07:58 AM

Blanca so true. My first experience there as a tourist towing a girlfriend and two kids was less then normal Baja food. The bar was set too high after eating a a little restaurant in La bocana in the back of a house near the COOP.

Campo Rene more then made up for it''s lack of food with a kayak trip in the estero. Experienced porpoise feeding, small goupers and beautiful scenery.

I miss that area.

DianaT - 4-7-2015 at 08:59 AM

I LOVE that place. It is just such a perfect place to do absolutely nothing except watch the tide come in and out!

Thanks for showing the changes.

Marc - 4-7-2015 at 10:26 PM

Twice I have had to retreat to Rene to escape the SOC heat. In the lagoon we launched a kayak with a small sail. A gust of wind flipped us over in 18" of water.

[Edited on 4-8-2015 by Marc]

Commuterfisher - 5-17-2015 at 09:23 AM

Shrimp c-cktails are awesome. The new cabanas look great. A great place to spend an afternoon sipping beers and enjoying the scenery. On our last Flying Doctors trip we had a great time here. We even water skied behind the jetski. We had dinner here after a fun day at the lagoon.

David K - 5-17-2015 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Commuterfisher  
Shrimp c-cktails are awesome. The new cabanas look great. A great place to spend an afternoon sipping beers and enjoying the scenery. On our last Flying Doctors trip we had a great time here. We even water skied behind the jetski. We had dinner here after a fun day at the lagoon.

Great to read of good news there!

Maron - 5-17-2015 at 10:20 AM

Great pictures, Blanca! Can you or somebody tell us more specifically where this place is in Baja? We are not familiar with Abreojos. Sounds like a rustic place with lots of pristine beauty, so they probably don't have R.V. hookups, right? Either way, sounds like a good place to camp.

Commuterfisher - 5-17-2015 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Commuterfisher  

Great to read of good news there!

image.jpg - 100kB image.jpg - 140kB image.jpg - 108kB image.jpg - 136kB

David K - 5-17-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
Great pictures, Blanca! Can you or somebody tell us more specifically where this place is in Baja? We are not familiar with Abreojos. Sounds like a rustic place with lots of pristine beauty, so they probably don't have R.V. hookups, right? Either way, sounds like a good place to camp.

West and then south of San Ignacio...

About 8 miles north-east from Punta Abreojos by road, see it on the coast of the bay and estero.

Russ - 5-17-2015 at 10:50 AM

Friends stopped by to check out the new doings last week and there wasn't a soul around. They were able to check out the new cabins through the ir back doors. The were impressed.

Maron - 5-17-2015 at 12:35 PM

David K

Thanks for the response.

David K - 5-17-2015 at 12:37 PM

Glad to help! It is a cool place for fishing or nature photography... went there once.

JohnMcfrog - 5-17-2015 at 02:20 PM

The seafood c-cktails never disappoint. Love sitting on the deck and watching the birds chase the fish near the mangrove islands. Great for SUP or fishing. Nice people and food you can depend upon to be well prepared.

shari - 5-17-2015 at 03:34 PM

Who owns Campo Rene now Blanca? nice they are fixing up such a great spot!

4Cata - 5-17-2015 at 03:56 PM

Any idea of rates to park an rv? It really looks like a place I'll love, specially s-c-cktails and micheladas! Yummy! Any clamming?

rts551 - 5-17-2015 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Who owns Campo Rene now Blanca? nice they are fixing up such a great spot!

The coop bought Campo Rene a number of years ago. They also own the PEMEX in town. Diversifying.

rts551 - 5-17-2015 at 04:03 PM

http://www.camporene.com/punta-abreojos.htm

4Cata - 5-17-2015 at 04:14 PM

Thanks for the link!

BajaBlanca - 5-17-2015 at 09:07 PM

the cooperative is indeed the owner of campo rene and slowly but surely they are doing some improvements - the new cabins are really quite nice.

sorry but I really dont know any of the pricing but so many stay there that it must be reasonable.

it is awesome for SUP, kayak, relaxing for a day or more!