BajaNomad

Favorite place to stay, LA Bay

mooose29 - 4-24-2015 at 08:07 AM

I know we all have our favorite places to stay when traveling in Baja. Since Gonzaga Bay is all booked up so for next Saturday I am thinking we will be staying the night in LA Bay. I haven't be there in 10 years and would love to hear from Nomads about your favorite places to stay for a night or maybe 2.

Thanks all.

TecateRay - 4-24-2015 at 08:13 AM

Costa del Sol. Good food and drinks there as well.

Costa Del Sol

bajaguy - 4-24-2015 at 08:51 AM

They also have a pretty good restaurant/cafe

David K - 4-24-2015 at 09:17 AM

Costa del Sol, specially the original rooms... The new building (2009) bed was harder than concrete... so check it out, or bring an air mattress, if still that way!

The food made there was great (soup was awesome) too!

Bob53 - 4-24-2015 at 09:24 AM

I second that about Costa del Sol. Clean rooms, decent food and good drinks. If you want some great food, venture to the north end of town to Alejandrina's. It's on the east side of the road just north of the circle.

motoged - 4-24-2015 at 10:39 AM

Costa del Sol is my first choice....

woody with a view - 4-24-2015 at 10:47 AM

i had a killer birthday dinner there this year. I don't remember all of it, but the pictures fill in the foggy areas!

David K - 4-24-2015 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob53  
I second that about Costa del Sol. Clean rooms, decent food and good drinks. If you want some great food, venture to the north end of town to Alejandrina's. It's on the east side of the road just north of the circle.

Mary Ann Humfreville, Dern, Paulina, Baja Angel (July 2012)

motoged - 4-24-2015 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
i had a killer birthday dinner there this year. I don't remember all of it, but the pictures fill in the foggy areas!

Woody,
I believe you have pics of the pre-dinner c-cktail tailgate party...:cool:

woody with a view - 4-24-2015 at 11:25 AM

THEEE best margarita's provided by Ged!

my contribution was the Sam Adams Rebel IPA!

then the fog rolled in, so to speak!

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by BajaNomad]

Alm - 4-24-2015 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
I know we all have our favorite places to stay when traveling in Baja.

Yes, and they are all different. I prefer accommodations on the beach, even if rooms were not renovated recently. Costa del Sol is on the other side of the main street, no waterfront there. Not very cheap, but better locations North of town are more expensive yet, and not always better quality. You have nothing to lose staying at Costa one or two nights.

mooose29 - 4-24-2015 at 10:26 PM

Thanks for the responses all, how about if we want to stay on the beach?

David K - 4-24-2015 at 11:29 PM

Organized camp or open/dry camping?

Camps that Nomads like:
http://bahiadelosangeles.info/archelon.htm
http://bahiadelosangeles.info/camp-daggetts.htm

Open camping (both sand and gravel beach options): La Gringa

bent-rim - 4-25-2015 at 05:59 AM

A good place on the beach In L A Bay is Guillermo's. It's hard to beat the sunrise there. The drinks are good, food is pretty good to really good. It's a little tired, but authentic. It's the only place I've stayed in LA Bay.

BooJumMan - 4-25-2015 at 08:38 AM

Wasn't too impressed with Daggetts. Only been there once though. Toilet didn't flush, water pressure was non existent, as was hot water, rooms run down and small. Expensive. Wanted to stay at Villa Bahia hotel but they didn't have room. The owner there was really nice. We ended up cutting our trip short at Daggetts and ended up camping at La Gringa.

norte - 4-25-2015 at 08:51 AM

where is that darn picture policeman?

MMc - 4-25-2015 at 08:53 AM

I like Larry and Raychel place next door to Daggets right on the beach room are basic and clean. It works for us.

güéribo - 4-25-2015 at 09:26 AM

I also vote for Costa del Sol. For a small fee, there was a very kind woman who did a bit of laundry for us.

on the road to Gringa

woody with a view - 4-25-2015 at 09:40 AM

just a bit past the military base is a spot next to Campo Amigos/El Payaso. look for this structure. it might cost $5/night just because.

the kitchen is on the left. this is your view:

the time passes slowly and the golf balls always seem to return after a few days!

[Edited on 4-25-2015 by BajaNomad]

Von - 4-25-2015 at 10:05 AM

We've been staying at Daggetts for over twenty years. We stayed in their cabanas. Lots of water and the toilets flushed fine as usual. I even climbed Mikes mtn. Ruben and Amanda are Awesome. If you want something away from town 1.5 miles , and twenty feet away from the water, That's a place you might want to check out :D Tell them Von says Hi from Poway.

honda tom - 4-25-2015 at 10:26 AM

last couple of trips I have been staying at Campo Archelon (sp).
3 minutes north of town just before larry and raquels. 3 sided palapas with big cots for 8 bucs a head 15 feet from the water. Showers and toilets.
or you can rent one of his rooms for 30 bucs. so nice to sleep on the water.

mcfez - 4-25-2015 at 10:46 AM

http://www.villabahia.com/
Contrary of a few negatives spoken about this GREAT place here at the BN......you'll find this to be the get away spot. Near town.....a few miles. Dead on the beach, arrangements for what ever you may need....including a lady that will come in to fix your dinner from the day's catch.....free kayaks. Contact by email or their FB page. Excellent rates BTW

Whale-ista - 4-25-2015 at 12:58 PM

Sounds promising...and they offer the big horn trips?

Any photos?

Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
last couple of trips I have been staying at Campo Archelon (sp).
3 minutes north of town just before larry and raquels. 3 sided palapas with big cots for 8 bucs a head 15 feet from the water. Showers and toilets.
or you can rent one of his rooms for 30 bucs. so nice to sleep on the water.

basautter - 4-25-2015 at 01:12 PM

I always stay at Guillermo's. Simple but clean. Huge rooms, great restaurant. It's on the water at the south end of town, right at the bend.

Alm - 4-25-2015 at 02:33 PM

Yes, Camp Archelon have cabins on the beach. Cost $50(?), with shower and some kitchen. I haven't been inside. The electricity is provided by small solar panel (looks like 100W panel). No A/C of course. There is no phone. Email Antonio to book your stay, the camp is popular with Mexicans in summer. He speaks fluent English and is polite and helpful person.

Yes, palapas $8 a head, also on the beach. Nice if views and tranquility is what you're looking for. Just keep in mind that this is not a Mariott Hotel.

In the last few years the camp has somewhat lost its tranqulity, few expats built homes and are running generators, and the live-in caretaker (his supposed role) is running a car/boat/anything repair shop in the middle of the camp. But it's quieter on waterfront.

Ruben Daggets next door also has "sort of waterfront" sites, but no palapas and campers there are packed next to one another. You'll have more privacy at Antonio's. Daggets is a big operation, they have a motel on the camp, not sure about A/C.

Bob53 - 4-25-2015 at 03:01 PM

If you just want to camp and don't need a palapa or room, La Gringa is a nice area. It is located about 10 miles north of town.

Jaybo - 4-28-2015 at 08:38 AM

We stayed at the Princess Motel up on the hill above town when we were there, price was great, but again, its up on the hill. Small room, big comfortable bed and had AC (we didn't need it though)

David K - 4-28-2015 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jaybo  
We stayed at the Princess Motel up on the hill above town when we were there, price was great, but again, its up on the hill. Small room, big comfortable bed and had AC (we didn't need it though)

Nice to hear about the newer places, thanks!

Larry and Raquel House Rental

Family Guy - 3-28-2016 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I like Larry and Raychel place next door to Daggets right on the beach room are basic and clean. It works for us.

It's been a while since I stayed out at Raquel and Larry's and was wondering if the beach house is still rented out. Who runs the place now? Is there a contact?