BajaNomad

Kayak fishing

jbcoug - 4-28-2015 at 01:23 AM

I spent this past February in Baja and did a little kayaking, but I didn't do any fishing from it. I hope to be back next spring as well. What advice can you share regarding good locations, what to look for, type of gear/baits/lures to use, or any other valuable advice. I would probably limit my attempts to the Sea of Cortez side and not be out more than a mile. All advice welcome!

aguachico - 4-28-2015 at 03:56 AM

www.bigwatersedge.com

BajaBlanca - 4-28-2015 at 04:13 AM

Not sure if this might interest you since it is NOT the SOC but La Bocana has a 8 mile long estuary and the fishing cooperative bought kayaks which they rent out. There is a catch and release program in effect and I understand the fishing is quite fun.

bajabuddha - 4-28-2015 at 05:11 AM

As you travel Baja, the best way to learn local fishing spots is by way of the Proverbial Pacifico..... share a cold one with someone who's been there a while and fishes, and chat. Since you won't have a fish-finder you'll have to rely on local advice for the better spots, bottom features, etc.... Always keep an eye out on the horizon where the prevailing winds come from and watch for "the black line", when the wind is on the way; you'll have about 20 minutes or less to get your butt back to camp. Far's what to use and how, see above; same rule of chat applies. Buena Suerte and rip some lips! I had a buddy catch a 50 lb. dog snapper in his single open kayak that towed him around for over 3 hours; he finally did land it (with my help in an inflatable w/gaff) and sunburned his teeth doing it.

Pescador - 4-28-2015 at 07:30 AM

The beauty of a kayak is the simplicity and ease to launch and cover ground that the big boats have a challenge with. I always use a fish finder and love to work the reefs and close in water where I find cabrilla, snappers, basses, and migratory fish like corvina and sierra. I even have friends with live bait tanks and full gear that target yellowtail, dorado and billfish. My first sailfish from a kayak was a real hoot, but I had to build up to that.
We set up a trip one year with aguachico and some friends who used a panga as a mother ship and they fished yellowtail off of the north end of San Marcos and kept the bait supplies and stuff on the panga. They sure had big smiles.

chuckie - 4-28-2015 at 07:32 AM

When did they start making kayaks big enough to fit YOU?;)

Udo - 4-28-2015 at 09:01 AM

When you go on the big waters edge website, check out rossman's posts.
He is currently fishing on his kayak in Bahia Asuncion.

vgabndo - 4-28-2015 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
When you go on the big waters edge website, check out rossman's posts.
He is currently fishing on his kayak in Bahia Asuncion.

I watched Ross paddle by the window about an hour ago! (I'm at Shari's kitchen window) As I glanced up just now, a mother and baby whale cruised by north bound RIGHT where Ross had been fishing! They made a couple of circles and one of them blew under water leaving a huge bubble ring that got my attention.

Pompano - 4-28-2015 at 02:45 PM

You might check with full-time sailors in any given achorage. Almost every full-timer I have known over the years has had a kayak or dingy that he fishes out of from the liveaboard. If you anchor in a bay for months at a time, you get to know the waters very well...like Co-pilot in her kayak.

Then she puts me on the fish....simple.

[Edited on 4-28-2015 by Pompano]

Udo - 4-28-2015 at 02:46 PM

I think I would need Shari's confirmation on this...

But I think that the reason some whales travel between the island and land is because they remember the great feeding right in front of our place. I have seen the daily fish boils in the early mornings.

One of these days my MDs will give me the go-ahead to travel again to BA. Although I feel really good, it would probably take me 4 days to make it to BA.

Rossman - 4-28-2015 at 03:34 PM

Love these small villages. Everyone knows what you are up to. It is one of those perfect days in Bahia Asuncion today. Most of the days that I have experienced since I got here in March have been almost cookie cutter with a light offshore breeze in the morning giving way to a pretty strong WNW wind in the afternoon. Today the slight offshore never freshened. I could decide to do an evening session on the kayak for the first time since I've been here.

In answer to the original poster's question, I have always been a fan of the he Bahia Gonzaga area for kayak fishing. Tremendous variety of species and an easy paddle to the good areas. Gotta watch the wind most of the year because it can change from dead calm to dangerous in a matter of a few minutes. The summer months are not quite as bad for wind events but it is very hot. I am a warm weather person but Bahia Gonzaga in the summer goes beyond the point of reasonableness.

redhilltown - 4-28-2015 at 11:49 PM

I second Rossman's thoughts as to Gonzaga Bay...you have some relief from the winds if need be and can usually get out on the water and catch some dinner (unless the gill netters have completely wiped it all out as they seem to be trying to do.) Papa Fernandez is a great safe place to camp and launch.

toronja - 4-30-2015 at 10:25 AM

I will second BajaBlanca... if you get over to the Pacific side, the La Bocana lagoon is awesome and protected for kayaking (and full of fish), but watch your step - it is also chock full of stingrays, as we learned the hard way.

MMc - 4-30-2015 at 12:15 PM

I kayak fish on the pacific side a bit. Both La Bocana & Coyote have lots of fish in them, also the beaches in front of those towns do too.
I will often troll with a lead head or a croc while getting from one place to another. I use a couple of bobbers to keep the lure from sinking when I stop of slow down. I put them 4 or 5 feet ahead of the lure, so the lure only sinks to the bobber. It keeps me from hooking the bottom when I stop.
A rutter is a big help while in the ocean.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by MMc]

pangajohn - 5-16-2015 at 05:44 AM

Check out this site mangroveinnbaja.com. They have kayak fishing in the mangroves in Lopez Matoes and a really super hotel right on the water that is new. They have also told me they are expanding the kayak service to Cerralvo Island outside La Paz and La Ventana in the near future.

Kayaks are for wimps

baitcast - 5-16-2015 at 07:09 AM

A real fisher person.........eat your hearts out guys:lol:

bajabuddha - 5-16-2015 at 10:54 AM

Who sez no more big fish in La Bahia C. ?
My friend catching a 50 lb. dog snapper, towed him around for 3 hours. Light tackle, 20 lb. test.

Rosa's casita at La Perla Point in background, playful dolpin watching the fun.

Two hours in, Isla Requeson in background.

Small sand shark I caught in the meantime; lots of blips on the fishfinder underneath the big fish's struggles. Note the lure; same one caught the snapper.

First look.

SUCCESS!

Happy angler.

Transferred to my boat, too big for his.

That's why it's called a 'Dog Snapper'. Woof.

Back home at La Perla, it's Pacifico time!

RnR - 5-16-2015 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Who sez no more big fish in La Bahia C. ?
My friend catching a 50 lb. dog snapper, towed him around for 3 hours. Light tackle, 20 lb. test.

Rosa's casita at La Perla Point in background, playful dolpin watching the fun.

Interesting -

The biggest fish that I've caught from my kayak was a 35 lb dog snapper on 15 lb line.

And .... It was just outside of El Requeson and we were camped at La Perla. Deja vue....?

P.S. - I think I remember your inflatable boat being beached right next to our palapa. Second or third palapa from the south end. Late 1990's ... ?

bajabuddha - 5-16-2015 at 12:12 PM

RnR, yuppers. Prolly me. Back then I had a 25' Jayco trailer, and I was either at the north end or south end of the beach. Late '90's I was there w/ future ex-wife and big wolf-shepherd dawg.

My bud hooked that monster right off Rosa's casita in about 12' of water; towed him out almost a mile offshore of Requeson (you can see Buenaventura in the background).

Did we have great outhouses (blue) when you were there? Me and a beach buddy Kenny built 'em both right around that time, best groovers in Baja. Hurricanes finally got 'em both, that with no maintenance from the family. Too bad, they were way comfy.

RnR - 5-16-2015 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Did we have great outhouses (blue) when you were there? Me and a beach buddy Kenny built 'em both right around that time, best groovers in Baja. Hurricanes finally got 'em both, that with no maintenance from the family. Too bad, they were way comfy.

Yeah, the outhouses, (with the little porch/privacy screen in front of the door), were a huge improvement over the original 4ftx4ft white ones with the broken doors.

Good on you.

bajabuddha - 5-16-2015 at 05:01 PM

:saint:

Happiness... is a cool groover.

Oh, and by the way, no kayak in this one, but there's still fish in the bay, this one was 58 lbs at Roca Frijole:

Now back to the kayak pics.

[Edited on 5-17-2015 by bajabuddha]