BajaNomad

Mercedes to make Tacoma-like truck...

David K - 5-1-2015 at 09:19 AM

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2019-mercedes-benz-glt-new...

Mercedes-Benz previews G500 4×4˛ off-roader ahead of Geneva debut – UPDATE

Mercedes-Benz has shed some insight into what we can expect from its first-ever premium pickup truck.

The head of the company’s commercial vehicles division bluntly explained that the upcoming pickup, which will most likely wear the GLT-Class moniker, will not be a “fat cowboy truck for North America.” In other, more politically-correct words, Mercedes is not aiming for the Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra twins, the Ram 1500 and the hot-selling Ford F-150.

Instead, the GLT will take the form of a much smaller mid-size pickup that will be aimed at overseas markets such as Latin America, Africa and the Middle East. The GLT will be sold in Europe, too, but the pickup market on the Old Continent is relatively small. U.S. sales have been ruled out for the time being.

Mercedes will co-develop the truck with industrial partner Nissan. British magazine CAR reports that the GLT’s frame, axles and body structure will all be sourced from the new Nissan Navara, but the sheetmetal, every part of the interior and the drivetrain will be Mercedes-specific.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2019-mercedes-benz-glt-new...

durrelllrobert - 5-1-2015 at 09:38 AM

Heard that Nissan will also be building a 4x4 version of the Mercedes

55steve - 5-1-2015 at 10:55 AM

Looks more like the new Ford Ranger to me....

David K - 5-1-2015 at 02:59 PM

Chevy Colorado is another Tacoma style mid truck copy...

What's on the inside and how well it is built is why it will take a lot more than looking like a Toyota to perform like a Toyota!

chevy colorado.jpg - 64kB

Bajahowodd - 5-1-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Chevy Colorado is another Tacoma style mid truck copy...

What's on the inside and how well it is built is why it will take a lot more than looking like a Toyota to perform like a Toyota!

Just because you own a Tacoma, you don't have to keep convincing yourself about your purchase. Many manufacturers were making heavy duty trucks long before Toyota jumped in. Frankly, I fail to see how you can state that Mercedes is building a Tacoma-like truck. The Mercedes folks might just want to track you down and do you harm.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 5-1-2015 at 05:04 PM

The drawing and web site are not mine... I am just sharing an interesting off road news item.

Baja Nomads are bigger Tacoma drivers than you may think, out-numbering all other mid size trucks by a huge margin and one of the top 4WD vehicles if all categories are included.

Not my doing, I am not the first Baja amigo to get a Tacoma, and if you are not happy because you have something else, they do take trade ins! LOL

But......

bajaguy - 5-1-2015 at 05:22 PM

Will it have ATRAC???????

chippy - 5-1-2015 at 05:26 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCxKdA...

I think it has more in common with its German cousin.:light:

P1000709.JPG - 163kB

David K - 5-1-2015 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Will it have ATRAC???????

Since the Germans invented it (4x4abc had a helping hand), why not?

chuckie - 5-2-2015 at 05:33 AM

More of DK's delusions....

Bob and Susan - 5-2-2015 at 05:47 AM

it looks a lot like this vw...there's a ton of these made by chevy and ford too down here

mini trucks are what people really need...
how many people haul a cubic meter of dirt?
all you need is room for the quad in the back

18d3r9hdp0wvsjpg.jpg - 22kB

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by Bob and Susan]

bajaguy - 5-2-2015 at 06:41 AM

Or a family of eight

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
it looks a lot like this vw...there's a ton of these made by chevy and ford too down here

mini trucks are what people really need...
how many people haul a cubic meter of dirt?
all you need is room for the quad in the back

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by Bob and Susan]

durrelllrobert - 5-2-2015 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Or a family of eight

..and equiped with 8 seat belts of course :?: