BajaNomad

Got tortillas?

BajaBlanca - 5-3-2015 at 04:14 PM

La Bocana has a new tortilla house:

It is right up the street from the gas filling station:

and there is nothing quite like a fresh HOT tortilla in the afternoon!

Maybe others could post where your local tortilleria is? and some pics.

Nothing better...

Whale-ista - 5-3-2015 at 07:03 PM

Than freshly made tortillas. I miss them. (None available near my San Diego home- need to drive a ways.)

Yummm...

Pompano - 5-3-2015 at 07:37 PM

Maize or harina, I agree, there's nothing quite like "Hot off the press." This one was close to Mely's in Mulege.

Plus you can find other 'favorites' made by individual tortilla-makers at most of the local markets..like these by Norma in this cooler at Saul's Market, Mulege. Okay, now I'm drooling again....

When I or Copilot ask for some at Manuel's tienda, La Celina, he winks and pulls a package of delicious ones out from under the counter. I feel almost privileged....like somehow getting some prized black market goods! Great way to peddle those tortillas, amigo!

[Edited on 5-4-2015 by Pompano]

güéribo - 5-3-2015 at 07:41 PM

Yes, nothing compares. I'm blessed to live in a town with lots of good Mexican cooks who share their culinary art.

Bajaboy - 5-3-2015 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Than freshly made tortillas. I miss them. (None available near my San Diego home- need to drive a ways.)

Yummm...

Pancho Villa's on El Cajon and 805 has the best tortillas hands down. Better than any I've had in Baja.

Whale-ista - 5-3-2015 at 08:13 PM

There are also many tortillerias over on University Avenue, but they're just not that convenient for my neighborhood. And you need to be there early in the day to get the fresh ones. (I've tried later in the afternoon and they often run out.)

So… Another thing to add to my list of considerations as I imagine spending more time in Baja.

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Yummm...

Pancho Villa's on El Cajon and 805 has the best tortillas hands down. Better than any I've had in Baja.

Bajaboy - 5-3-2015 at 08:50 PM

There are also many tortillerias over on University Avenue, but they're just not that convenient for my neighborhood. And you need to be there early in the day to get the fresh ones. (I've tried later in the afternoon and they often run out.)

So… Another thing to add to my list of considerations as I imagine spending more time in Baja.

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Yummm...

The tortillas are made to order all day long.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pancho-villas-farmers-market-san-die...

Maron - 5-3-2015 at 08:57 PM

Looks so good and makes me wish I had half a dozen with lots of butter and two cold beers

thanks for the pics

redhilltown - 5-3-2015 at 11:45 PM

Make that three beers...

vandenberg - 5-4-2015 at 07:36 AM

They need to be made with lots of lard to be any good.
I especially love the Harina ones, yum, yum!!

BajaBlanca - 5-4-2015 at 07:56 AM

805 and El Cajon -on the checklist

there is a place near downtown san diego that makes fresh ones that are so outstanding as well

and there was a Mexican restaurant in Old town that made fresh ones in the evenings - not sure if it is still there.

Cheaper by the dozen?

durrelllrobert - 5-4-2015 at 08:54 AM

I remember the first time I took my kids to San Felipe for spring break in the '60s.
Went to the Tortillaria to get a dozen and was told that they only sold them by the kilo. Not knowing how many were in a kilo I asked for 5. Gave as many free tortillas to everyone else camping there that wanted some. Of course after a day or to the remaining ones were all stuck together and had to put them in the trash can.

DENNIS - 5-4-2015 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Of course after a day or to the remaining ones were all stuck together and had to put them in the trash can.

There's a common method to prevent this. Open a kilo of corn tortillas and flip flop the whole stack.....one up...one down. Rewrap them and put them in the refer. That's what the locals do.

May I offer an alternative?

Pompano - 5-4-2015 at 07:26 PM

If you like tortillas, you will probably LOVE this Norsk treat...'Lefse'

Lefse is a traditional soft, Norwegian flatbread. It is made with leftover potatoes, flour, butter, and milk or cream. It is cooked on a griddle. I was raised on Lefse as a special treat for the holidays. We still make it every holiday season, and my aunt Alice had the best recipe ever. We eat ours with butter and sugar. As a kid, I always spread whipped cream on one, then sprinkled with cinammon sugar, rolled it up, shoved it in my drooling mouth...and still managed to stay slim!

At home I make the grande sizes..

A plus is that lefse makes a terrific thin crust pizza! My day-to-cook specialty is lefse crust pizza with pepperoni/pineapple. Red Truck wine during the process is mandatory.

And that's a Baja Lefse pizza! Stay hungry, my friends.

Bajahowodd - 5-5-2015 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
If you like tortillas, you will probably LOVE this Norsk treat...'Lefse'

Lefse is a traditional soft, Norwegian flatbread. It is made with leftover potatoes, flour, butter, and milk or cream. It is cooked on a griddle. I was raised on Lefse as a special treat for the holidays. We still make it every holiday season, and my aunt Alice had the best recipe ever. We eat ours with butter and sugar. As a kid, I always spread whipped cream on one, then sprinkled with cinammon sugar, rolled it up, shoved it in my drooling mouth...and still managed to stay slim!

At home I make the grande sizes..

A plus is that lefse makes a terrific thin crust pizza! My day-to-cook specialty is lefse crust pizza with pepperoni/pineapple. Red Truck wine during the process is mandatory.

And that's a Baja Lefse pizza! Stay hungry, my friends.

I totally agree that they are very tasty. But, here in SOCAL, I have never seen them sold retail. The on line price works out to about $45 for 16 of them. That said, we can buy corn tortillas in the price range of 30 for $1.50.

Any ideas where I can buy the Lefse?

durrelllrobert - 5-5-2015 at 04:29 PM

My (former) girlfriend from North Dakota made lefse alot

motoged - 5-6-2015 at 12:17 PM

Ya, shore....ya betcha....

Beats matzah (matzo) ....:saint:

bezzell - 5-6-2015 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

:lol::lol::lol: and still, some folks wonder ... "how come I'm having to support Big Pharma in my twilight years?" :?::?:

vandenberg - 5-6-2015 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

:lol::lol::lol: and still, some folks wonder ... "how come I'm having to support Big Pharma in my twilight years?" :?::?:

Good reason to have them once a month.
Appreciate them more that way.:biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 5-6-2015 at 02:08 PM

oh my gosh ... I love fresh tortillas .... and cannot resist them. They just jump from the table right into my mouth!

:o