BajaNomad

There is no surf in Baja

Chupacabra - 5-7-2015 at 08:49 AM

Contrary to popular opinion, there is no surf in Baja. Case in point: we went down to a spot a couple hundred miles south May 2-6, 2015, knowing that a big SW swell was running. Imagine my disappointment when I found there was nothing but cold water, bad waves, wind, hostile locals, rabid dogs, and wind.

This is not me on this wave, it is a GI Joe figure I photoshopped in just to show how bad the waves really are in Baja:

More imaginary Baja "waves":

The place is infested with old men on bodyboards:

There are rabid dogs all over, beware!

The wind constantly blows offshore, making this annoying spray that gets in your face:

Bandits are everywhere and they will rob you.

Bottom line: the waves are terrible in Baja...don't go!

rdrrm8e - 5-7-2015 at 08:54 AM

Thanks for the warning. I will scratch this off my bucket list.

You are a brave man.

AKgringo - 5-7-2015 at 09:25 AM

You forgot to mention the crowds, looks pretty jammed up!
I will consider taking up the sport somewhere else just so I can avoid going there.

[Edited on 5-7-2015 by AKgringo]

David K - 5-7-2015 at 09:52 AM

:biggrin: lol

Bob53 - 5-7-2015 at 10:00 AM

And let's not forget that...It's just the desert.

4x4abc - 5-7-2015 at 10:12 AM

yeah, stay away from Baja. Nothing there.

pauldavidmena - 5-7-2015 at 10:57 AM

I'll take over 100 inches of snow per year any day.

StuckSucks - 5-7-2015 at 12:22 PM

A bunch of years ago Bruce Barber told me that the banditos are getting high tech in Baja. They're pulling people over on the highway, and then with a satellite uplink, scanning the victim's credit cards and instantly withdrawing cash from their accounts. Bruce is awesome.

BajaBlanca - 5-7-2015 at 12:44 PM

wow....beautiful! I mean the lack of waves is beautiful.....

BajaGeoff - 5-7-2015 at 01:08 PM

Looks like a horrible, awful place...no fun at all! ;D

Howard - 5-7-2015 at 01:21 PM

Don't forget about that swill they call Pacifico, who would want to drink that crap?

David K - 5-7-2015 at 01:50 PM

Cactus, Banditos, and Snakes... oh my!

Whale-ista - 5-7-2015 at 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reminders...and maybe warn people about the fish tacos next time. And lack of skilled auto mechanics...

chippy - 5-7-2015 at 02:37 PM

This is such a KOOKISH thing to do:mad:. Its what ruined baja for me. Why canīt you just go down there get some waves come home and be happy?:?: Insted you race home and post up. You sir are a KOOK. Carry on.
PS nice survival stance :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Udo - 5-7-2015 at 02:52 PM

:bounce::biggrin:

Maron - 5-7-2015 at 03:14 PM

Did you at least get a refund for your "wasted vacation"?

Chupacabra - 5-7-2015 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
This is such a KOOKISH thing to do:mad:. Its what ruined baja for me.

The Pacific coast of Baja runs roughly 1000 miles, most of which is quite remote and uninhabited. If someone can't find waves all to themselves it's because they are simply too lazy to get off the beaten track.

Ambiguous pictures of an unidentifiable surf break didn't ruin Baja; you ruined it for yourself with a bad attitude and an overblown sense of entitlement.

BajaTed - 5-7-2015 at 05:37 PM

I know that place, its BAJA MALIBU:lol:
The MALIBU attitude just don't fit in Baja if your in Baja:?:

chippy - 5-7-2015 at 05:39 PM

Thats simply not true. You are a kook who has minimal skills who wants to be some kind of internet hero. Loser comes to mind?

tiotomasbcs - 5-7-2015 at 05:49 PM

Kinda funny but Lame. I'm with Chipsker. I'll shutup before I really pee you off. Tio ps you really missed in the early days. :cool:

Ateo - 5-7-2015 at 06:00 PM

Jesus, you downers are real downers. Thanks Chupa. Nice report.

chippy - 5-7-2015 at 06:08 PM

Nice report for who/whos ego? Ateo if thats your picture on your sig then I understand. You will NEVER get it.

woody with a view - 5-7-2015 at 06:56 PM

at least he is respectful enuf to crop most of the id's and leave the names out.

who cares if he is the guy doing jumping jacks on the bluff, taking fotos and doesn't even surf!

:lol:

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by woody with a view]

BooJumMan - 5-7-2015 at 07:30 PM

It does bum me out seeing all the publicity on the internet lately surrounding Baja and surfing.... however, seeing it here on BN doesn't really bother me. Because for the most part, the people on here are and have been passionate about Baja for a long time.

Believe me, I know Baja has been known as a surf destination forever, but lately there has been a lot of hype around traveling down there. It's once again bringing a "wave" of surfers with even sh*ttier attitudes than those held by myself, Woody (although he's gone soft lately), chippy and others. Lots of "crews" of guys going down, loading up lineups and acting like idiots. Just like myself... i guess.

woody with a view - 5-7-2015 at 07:47 PM

I just got to the point where I say what I need to say, my blood pressure doesn't rise and in the end the new guys will do what they want, when they want.

some get it, some never will. I think OP gets it....

[Edited on 5-8-2015 by woody with a view]

Kgryfon - 5-7-2015 at 09:34 PM

Well, I was enjoying this thread until the sniping started.

BornFisher - 5-7-2015 at 10:01 PM

Nice report for who/whos ego? Ateo if thats your picture on your sig then I understand. You will NEVER get it.

Great report and pics. I see no ego here.
If you don`t think Ateo gets it, then please enlighten those of us who are clueless and can`t see the light.

Chupacabra - 5-8-2015 at 06:44 AM

As I mentioned before, the Pacific side of Baja has roughly 1000 miles of mostly deserted coastline. All one has to do to get great, empty waves is get just a little bit off the beaten track.

An open mind, a sense of adventure, and some legwork really pays off in life. On the other hand, an overblown sense of entitlement coupled with a victim mentality gives the dubious reward of anger and bitterness.

StuckSucks - 5-8-2015 at 08:20 AM

Chupacabra - awesome report.

motoged - 5-8-2015 at 08:57 AM

Baja sucks....for sure.

Just boring desert, prickly plants, too much coastline to see in a one-week trip, and the surfers fighting off-roaders.....no peaceful settings to enjoy anywhere....just throngs of gringos looking for cheap vanilla and t-shirts....

Why do folks think it is worth a trip into that dangerous and hostile place?

Much better to stay home where people "speak American"...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :biggrin:

Martyman - 5-8-2015 at 03:55 PM

I wonder who would win in the Surfers vs Off-Roaders fight. Will it be on pay per view?

ehall - 5-8-2015 at 04:05 PM

Even Gonzaga tried to provide a little action. lol

woody with a view - 5-8-2015 at 04:07 PM

off-roaders have too much money and influence. my TKT is on them.... BUT, i imagine many of my bredren tossing boulders from the shadows of the cardon will make it an interesting affair!

:light:

MMc - 5-8-2015 at 04:16 PM

It's not the surfer v Offroad, It's who gets it and who doesn't. Some of us prefer to let Baja change on it's own without us exploiting it for our own reasons. I think this is a great report, I know the spot and it's a nice wave. he doesn't give away this spot. He went, he scored, he's letting us know he scored. So what?
He's telling us to go make our own way and to figure it for yourself. No GPS points or maps were harmed or given out making this report.
As to how well he surfs " The best surfer is the guy having the most fun".

Chupacabra - 5-8-2015 at 06:04 PM

PS nice survival stance

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
As to how well he surfs " The best surfer is the guy having the most fun".

Lol, I suppose that was a bit of an awkward stance...but in my defense it was just a quick snapshot at the end of a three-hour session.

Here's a couple other random Mex shots, just to boost my already over-inflated ego. Hope these don't ruin Baja for anyone ;)

motoged - 5-10-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
off-roaders have too much money and influence. my TKT is on them.... BUT, i imagine many of my bredren tossing boulders from the shadows of the cardon will make it an interesting affair!

:light:

Woody,
When I think of off-roaders, I am myopic and think of a few guys on dirtbikes or something like that....not the glitzy RedBull rip to tip types w/ helicopters and professional film crews.....yep, they have too much money.

So, a few dirtbikers vs surfers???? Surfers win out just 'cuz you guys have that quiet element of "cool" going on....you are clean after a day of playing.....and you have more than your nose and wrists tanned.

Plus, the Beach Boys never sang about their Honda 50's as much as surfin'.

At any rate, Baja is certainly no place to go to surf or ride the dez....dangerous, too far from the mall, and what's with the concept of fish tacos?

David K - 5-10-2015 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

When I think of off-roaders, I am myopic and think of a few guys on dirtbikes or something like that....not the glitzy RedBull rip to tip types w/ helicopters and professional film crews.....

Not Red Bull....

Terry28 - 5-10-2015 at 11:19 AM

Nice to see you have a sense of humor!!~! Old Surfers Rule!!