BajaNomad

Gonzaga Bay Info

Big Al - 5-10-2015 at 10:39 PM

I haven't been to Gonzaga Bay in over 10 years. Looking for information on the road from San Felipe south to Gonzaga. Also is Alfonsina's still a good place to stay? How do I make a reservation with them?

Thanks

mooose29 - 5-10-2015 at 10:49 PM

Was just through there the last two weekends. The place is awesome. We did not get to stay there as it was full so definitely recommend a reservation. I have their email in the car and will post later. Ate lunch there and the food was great and service really good.

The road was in great shape all the way from the border. From San Felipe to Puerticitios there are some areas of Vados (dips) that you need to watch out for but generlly in good shape and south of puertocitios to Gonzaga might be the best stretch of road in Baja right now. It is wide smooth, fairly straight, and outstanding views.

Big Al - 5-10-2015 at 10:57 PM

Awesome thanks. Please post the email address when you can. I like the adventure of the old dirt road, but it did take forever to get there.

ehall - 5-11-2015 at 05:05 AM

Email is alfonsinas@hotmail.com we have reservations for the next 5 days. If anyone is passing by stop and drink a beer with us.

ehall - 5-11-2015 at 05:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mooose29  
Was just through there the last two weekends. The place is awesome. We did not get to stay there as it was full so definitely recommend a reservation. I have their email in the car and will post later. Ate lunch there and the food was great and service really good.

The road was in great shape all the way from the border. From San Felipe to Puerticitios there are some areas of Vados (dips) that you need to watch out for but generlly in good shape and south of puertocitios to Gonzaga might be the best stretch of road in Baja right now. It is wide smooth, fairly straight, and outstanding views.

How was the wind. Was the water warm.

Marc - 5-11-2015 at 06:34 AM

Never could get a response via email or phone from Alfonsinas. We camped at R Grande beach in the upgraded Palapas. Drive time is 1.5 hours from S felipe now with new road. Two weeks ago was windy 4 days out of 6 and very cold at night. Water this time of the year is always cold.

mcfez - 5-11-2015 at 08:37 AM

The road from Mexicalli to San Felipe has been greatly improved. From San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay....it's nothing like it was ten years ago...smooth and paved.

Big Al - 5-12-2015 at 11:00 AM

Alfonsina's doesn't allow dogs. Where is the best place to camp on the beach?

Anybody ever stay here?

Howard - 5-12-2015 at 11:21 AM

Does anyone know if dogs are OK there? Any feedback on the place?

Oops forgot the website

http://www.kiki.com.mx/

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by Howard]

David K - 5-12-2015 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Big Al  
Alfonsina's doesn't allow dogs. Where is the best place to camp on the beach?

There is beach camping at Papa Fernandez' (over on the Cortez side of the point). Then palapa camping at Rancho Grande (next door to Alfonsina's property, south of runway). Then palapa camping at Campo Beluga, a mile+ south of Rancho Grande. Here are my photos at Beluga: http://vivabaja.com/207/page3.html

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by David K]

Marc - 5-13-2015 at 05:55 AM

Rancho Grande has upgraded most of the palapas. Partially enclosed with cement floors.

Big Al - 5-15-2015 at 09:45 PM

can you reserve the campsites at Rancho Grande? If so, how?

bajabuddha - 5-15-2015 at 11:03 PM

RESERVATIONS?

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING RESERVATIONS !!!!

They've upgraded all their palapas, and now charge about double for each. You get what you pay for. Unless it's a holiday weekend you shouldn't have to worry about reserving anything, and if it is full, there are other beach camps close by. I'd also recommend a few tarps (8x12' or bigger) in case the wind blows. When I was there a year ago they'd disc/leveled the area behind the beach camp to where the new road is now, so it was all blow-sand, and when the wind blew it did too.

Have fun, bring money. The price of North Shore just went up with the asphalt. Little San Diego is migrating southward.