BajaNomad

Baja 500 course map

StuckSucks - 5-12-2015 at 10:27 AM

Click to embiggen:

David K - 5-12-2015 at 10:33 AM

Wow... just about 500 miles too... looks fast!

Course Notes have been updated 5/24 with course information on the new dry lake by-pass. Total race mileage increases to 510.58 from the original 495.58 miles. Complete notes at: http://score-international.com/2015-bud-light-baja-500-cours...

[Edited on 6-6-2015 by David K]

TMW - 5-12-2015 at 12:30 PM

The La Rumorosa Grade in the dirt on the race course.

Here is a report I did in 2008 and my friend and I drove down the grade. Pictures from a throw away camera.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=35591

StuckSucks - 5-12-2015 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Here is a report I did in 2008 and my friend and I drove down the grade. Pictures from a throw away camera.

Fun to see the photos - thanks for sharing. Someone on RDC said if you drive off Rumorosa, you'll die of old age before you hit the bottom.

I've never driven the grade, but would be all over it.

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by StuckSucks]

David K - 5-12-2015 at 01:18 PM

It was originally called the 'Cantu Grade' named after the governor who had it built so Mexicans could drive to the Pacific staying inside Mexico. The first paved Hwy. 2 replaced it in the 1950's. Just read a 1953 Desert Magazine article where the Cantu Grade was still used, and the detour onto it was the only part of Hwy. 2 not yet completed.

Ateo - 5-12-2015 at 08:36 PM

Thanks for the ride down memory lane. That was cool.

StuckSucks - 5-15-2015 at 04:45 PM

Here's the 2015 Baja 500 Course Map embedded on Google Maps.

David K - 5-15-2015 at 06:18 PM

Thanks!

PaulW - 5-16-2015 at 06:43 AM

Lots of flowing water south of Hwy2. Speculation is the course will have to be changed to get it out of the low areas of L Salida?
Difficult for early prerunners in that area.

TMW - 5-17-2015 at 09:17 AM

An interesting find on GE.

What is that?

A Bird?

Is it crashed or flying?

Ateo - 5-17-2015 at 09:23 AM

Malaysian Air?

David K - 5-17-2015 at 09:35 AM

Plane flying... seems very close to the ground?

StuckSucks - 5-17-2015 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Malaysian Air?

Made me spit milk out of my nose.

StuckSucks - 5-18-2015 at 10:33 AM

I spotted this aircraft on approach to an airport in Denmark:

StuckSucks - 6-4-2015 at 07:42 AM

Here's the 2015 Baja 500 Course Map embedded on Google Maps, including chase road access.

Ateo - 6-4-2015 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Here's the 2015 Baja 500 Course Map embedded on Google Maps, including chase road access.

Thanks. I may head down there to spectate if time allows. Good luck and safe travels.

StuckSucks - 6-4-2015 at 08:04 AM

Thanks. I may head down there to spectate if time allows. Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks! Headed down today. If anyone sees me ~RM180 on Saturday, stop by and I'll give you a highly-coveted COPS steeker.

David K - 6-4-2015 at 08:08 AM

Best of luck to the Cops Team!

StuckSucks - 6-4-2015 at 08:19 AM

Thanks. Watch for our #50 Trophy Truck and two Class 10s. The Class 1 is sitting this one out.

Ateo - 6-6-2015 at 09:11 AM

Looks like Brabec (1X) is racing it solo and as of now is in the lead. EDIT: Saw a post from him and he wasn't even in Baja so it must be another rider..........

[Edited on 6-6-2015 by Ateo]

David K - 6-6-2015 at 09:16 AM

Looks like Brabec (1X) is racing it solo and as of now is in the lead.

Already along Laguna Salada!: http://tracking.volocore.com/index/baja_500_2015/

PaulW - 6-6-2015 at 09:35 AM

Latest from Race Dezert
Justin Jones of the 5x down hard, needed medical extraction.
I dont believe the 3x went off the line looks like samuels, dalsoglio, and justin jones are piloting the 5x.
45x broke
19x and1x battle
Still shows 5x stopped at RM 92. 1x shows at RM 158 with 19x behind him.

David K - 6-6-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Latest from Race Dezert
Justin Jones of the 5x down hard, needed medical extraction.
I dont believe the 3x went off the line looks like samuels, dalsoglio, and justin jones are piloting the 5x.
45x broke
19x and1x battle
Still shows 5x stopped at RM 92. 1x shows at RM 158 with 19x behind him.

Thanks Paul, Score Facebook reports a helicopter is heading to bike 5x.

TMW - 6-6-2015 at 02:18 PM

Tunaeater is racing on the 13X bike.

Ateo - 6-6-2015 at 02:21 PM

And he's charging along! 2nd place from what I can tell!

David K - 6-6-2015 at 03:29 PM

And he's charging along! 2nd place from what I can tell!

The tracker puts 13x in third place at the moment.

Luke McMilin is leading in Trophy Truck Class, Gustavo is in 2nd place, and Carlos Lopez in 3rd, at or near Valle de Trinidad

woody with a view - 6-6-2015 at 04:16 PM

Ens was jamming this morning on the way north. Saw directional signs on H1 but no signs of racers.

8 spectators injured

bajaguy - 6-6-2015 at 05:56 PM

From ensenada.net

Article posted June 6, 2015
by Elizabeth Vargas

Eight people were run over by the vehicle number 1089 in the vicinity of the starting area of the Baja 500 confirmed municipal Public Security sources who attended the accident.

The first information indicates that those injured by one of the participating vehicles are four children and four adults who were hit in the first and Floresta, shortly before the area down to Arroyo Ensenada.

The injured were identified as:

Mariana Trujillo Anguiano 8 years old.

Jose Alejandro Trujillo 5 years old.

Manuel Leyva 4 years old.

Nicolas Omar Estrada 8 years old.

Adolfo Aldez 64 years.

Aime Sofia Romero 18 years.

Leandro Solis Arsula 50 years old.

Nicolas Estrada Mora 54 years old.

All being served by Red Cross personnel were aware but with numerous scratches and bruises on various parts of the body.

Experts will be responsible for determining the causes of this accident.
Alberto Alcaraz Photos

blackwolfmt - 6-6-2015 at 06:01 PM

well sounds like no one was seriously hurt maybe next time they wont stand right next to the race course

TMW - 6-6-2015 at 08:10 PM

Check this video out, near bottom of page. click on video.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/baja-500-race-day-c...

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by TMW]

Maderita - 6-6-2015 at 08:52 PM

I've always been curious as to what is under the hood!

Sierra de Juarez, approx race mile 80

ehall - 6-6-2015 at 09:24 PM

Check this video out, near bottom of page. click on video.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/baja-500-race-day-c...

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by TMW]

Tried to race with a tt. Will be telling his buddies about it for years. Haha. Sounds like no one was hurt.

norte - 6-7-2015 at 06:36 AM

These kids were seriously hurt. When are they going to stop this nonsense. At least the driver was arrested and put in one of those filthy mexican jails.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
From ensenada.net

by Elizabeth Vargas

Eight people were run over by the vehicle number 1089 in the vicinity of the starting area of the Baja 500 confirmed municipal Public Security sources who attended the accident.

The first information indicates that those injured by one of the participating vehicles are four children and four adults who were hit in the first and Floresta, shortly before the area down to Arroyo Ensenada.

The injured were identified as:

Mariana Trujillo Anguiano 8 years old.

Jose Alejandro Trujillo 5 years old.

Manuel Leyva 4 years old.

Nicolas Omar Estrada 8 years old.

Adolfo Aldez 64 years.

Aime Sofia Romero 18 years.

Leandro Solis Arsula 50 years old.

Nicolas Estrada Mora 54 years old.

All being served by Red Cross personnel were aware but with numerous scratches and bruises on various parts of the body.

Experts will be responsible for determining the causes of this accident.
Alberto Alcaraz Photos

bajaguy - 6-7-2015 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
well sounds like no one was seriously hurt maybe next time they wont stand right next to the race course

The driver was speeding on the city street, lost control, ran up on the sidewalk............

A loss of vehicle control racing a few meters from the exit to the impact on people who enjoyed the event in safety zone is the expertise municipal transit after an accident in the Baja 500 in which eight people were injured.

The official report indicates that at 11:00 am, the vehicle was traveling Racer Class 10, model 2006, blue color, with the number 1089 on the right lane of the Avenida Floresta, enabled via Baja 500 race.

Meters before reaching the cruise irregular shape with the Lopez Mateos avenue, the driver lost control of the drive and direction to draw a diagonal to the right.

With this move unchecked, it hits the front with a metal object Telnor property, located on the same avenue Floresta.

He continued his career forward and hit the left front side of a wooden pole, owned by Telnor, and simultaneously a metal pole with meter, owned by the City.

These objects struck 04 pedestrians were located on the east sidewalk of the Forest Avenue.

The race car continued its path on the sidewalk and entered the ship in question (Floresta and Lopez Mateos) to hit the middle right side against other 04 pedestrian and bicycle located behind the zone marked with yellow tape.

With the accident wooden post Telnor that hit the race car, he fell on the upper middle right side on a Nissan Pathfinder, 2014 model, white color, which was parked vehicle.

After impact, he moved to the 8 injured (pedestrians) for the Velmar care clinic.

Also the driver of the vehicle Racer Class 10, model 2006, Arnoldo Gutierrez Gonzalez, 26 years old, was taken for medical clearance resulting in no external injuries and was later made available to the Public Prosecutor of the Common Jurisdiction for being suspect damage to property and injuries.

by Elizabeth Vargas

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=40320

bajatrailrider - 6-7-2015 at 08:23 AM

This is only no common sense,of parents. When you watch any race,protect yourself.As no one else will.

Ateo - 6-7-2015 at 09:17 PM

mtgoat666 - 6-7-2015 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
This is only no common sense,of parents. When you watch any race,protect yourself.As no one else will.

The race organizers should provide barriers and security to keep pedestrians back at safe distance, or they should quit using public streets. What is disconcerting is gringo race organizers putting this on in Mexico because they can do it on the cheap, avoid safety measures, not be held responsible for property or environmental damage, etc.

bajatrailrider - 6-8-2015 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The race organizers should provide barriers and security to keep pedestrians back at safe distance, or they should quit using public streets. What is disconcerting is gringo race organizers putting this on in Mexico because they can do it on the cheap, avoid safety measures, not be held responsible for property or environmental damage, etc.
It would be impossible for Score to put barriers up for 500 miles. It goes back to common sense. 800/1200HP speeds over 100mph.Don't put yourself in harms way.

David K - 6-8-2015 at 09:23 AM

It would be impossible for Score to put barriers up for 500 miles. It goes back to common sense. 800/1200HP speeds over 100mph.Don't put yourself in harms way.

x2

To some here, people are not responsible for what decisions they make in life... it is always someone else's fault... and the government's purpose to to take care of them from cradle to grave.

norte - 6-8-2015 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

x2

To some here, people are not responsible for what decisions they make in life... it is always someone else's fault... and the government's purpose to to take care of them from cradle to grave.

Did you even bother to watch the video? This driver veered off into the crowd who were behind barriers. Organizers were stupid for racing in the city. Driver was arrested for speeding in the city. Knuckleheads. Doesn't have anything to do with excess government.

David K - 6-8-2015 at 11:18 AM

Yes, you are right norte...

The people want the race to be in the city, but let's not do that because it is dangerous. Best to not even go outside, someone may run a red light and hit you crossing the street.

You think SCORE and racers like it when spectators get hurt? It ruins the 500 or 1000 mile race and they aren't 3 miles from the start!

Time to start the race outside of town...

But, then everyone goes out of town to see the start... and crowd the race track... and there is an accident... and guess what happens... Only now, you are 20+ miles from a hospital on a busy, curvy road.

What is better? The people want the race and they KNOW there is danger along the course.

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 6-8-2015 at 11:26 AM

they can set up barriers where racing in the city or passing thru small towns,... just like they do in europe and usa where racing on street. if they cant afford health and safety, perhaps they should get out of the business, eh?

David K - 6-8-2015 at 11:38 AM

I bet you anything the people will ignore the barriers, stand in front or on top of them, or remove them altogether. Have you ever seen a race in a Mexican town???

I did think there is a speed limit on paved roads and the racers get penalized for exceeding them. City streets would be in the speed zone... a car going 35 can still kill someone if it hits them.

norte - 6-8-2015 at 11:50 AM

The people want the race to be in the city, but let's not do that because it is dangerous. Best to not even go outside, someone may run a red light and hit you crossing the street.

You think SCORE and racers like it when spectators get hurt? It ruins the 500 or 1000 mile race and they aren't 3 miles from the start!

But, then everyone goes out of town to see the start... and crowd the race track... and there is an accident... and guess what happens... Only now, you are 20+ miles from a hospital on a busy, curvy road.

What is better? The people want the race and they KNOW there is danger along the course.

Now there is intelligence...since we know there will be people injured lets have it as close to a hospital as possible.... Hey... how about not at all. or is this a world of rollerball?

norte - 6-8-2015 at 11:51 AM

I bet you anything the people will ignore the barriers, stand in front or on top of them, or remove them altogether. Have you ever seen a race in a Mexican town???

I did think there is a speed limit on paved roads and the racers get penalized for exceeding them. City streets would be in the speed zone... a car going 35 can still kill someone if it hits them.

hahahaha. When was the last time you went? speed limit in town? Maybe that is why the driver is in jail. hope they hang him.

David K - 6-8-2015 at 12:23 PM

He is a Mexican national, does that change anything for you?

mtgoat666 - 6-8-2015 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Now there is intelligence...since we know there will be people injured lets have it as close to a hospital as possible.... Hey... how about not at all. or is this a world of rollerball?

with GPS tracking and easy of computerized controls, they could put speed governors in the race vehicles to keep the speeds safe and sane in inhabited areas. or just use GPS tracking and eliminate anyone that breaks the speed limit in controlled sections, then the drivers would have motivation to be safe...

norte - 6-8-2015 at 01:19 PM

He is a Mexican national, does that change anything for you?

OMG. Its ok if its a Mexican but not an American. Disgraceful.

Play ground for the rich Americans's.

[Edited on 6-8-2015 by norte]

TMW - 6-8-2015 at 03:21 PM

[/rquote]

or just use GPS tracking and eliminate anyone that breaks the speed limit in controlled sections, then the drivers would have motivation to be safe...

[/rquote]

They already do that and have done that for several years.
I don't think there were any barriers up. As I understand it the car hit a light or telephone pole then went into the crowd. That turn is dangerous and the police should have moved the crowd back. They have done that before.

Goat you obviously have never followed off-road racing in Baja. Go to the SCORE web site and learn something.

TMW - 6-8-2015 at 03:24 PM

Another thing there is no controlled speed limit at the start and finish in Ensenada. The racers are instructed to show good judgement with people around. Some do some don't.

mtgoat666 - 6-8-2015 at 05:13 PM

Perspective on humanity and morals in one race team,...

What follows is a comment posted at The Reader...

Regarding this quote in the article "A member of the racing team told the newspaper the driver deliberately left the roadway and aimed at the utility pole after discovering that his brakes had failed and in order to avoid hundreds of spectators along a curve a few yards ahead."

Comment: "HA HA, that's hilarious, I was there when this happened, actually have video of it on my phone, this driver did NOT aim for the pole on purpose, he lost control, plain and simple. His breaks worked fine, he just didn't know what he was doing. He over corrected, twice and lost control. He is lucky no one was killed. But aside from the teams obvious lies about the brakes, the thing that really peeed me off was, they stayed in their car, waited for their pit crew members to get there and were more worried about getting the car back in the race than anything else. children hurt mere feet from their car, crying and they couldn't even get out to see if they could help, and their crew members were under the car banging on it with a hammer trying to straighten parts out so they could continue. that was disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for that alone.... but to come out and blame the brakes afterwards is just cowardly to the extreme."