BajaNomad

Rain Coming?

tiotomasbcs - 5-14-2015 at 12:47 PM

Weather Channel is predicting rain for LA and San Diego and it looks like the Peninsula, too. Radar shows rain coming thru as far south as mid Baja. I read that it rained in Mulege the other day for 5 hours. What's the weather like for you... Cloudy down south the last few days with only very light rain. Tio

Howard - 5-14-2015 at 12:50 PM

Very light rain, not drizzle in Loreto today. It spit for just a little bit but still needed the wipers for a moment. It's still cloudy.

Bajaboy - 5-14-2015 at 01:08 PM

Yes rain on the way here in San Diego. Looks like I'll be setting up my tent in the rain on Friday on Mt. Laguna.

Hopefully this does not go political....

shari - 5-14-2015 at 01:15 PM

sweet sunshine here in Asuncion...but yesterday I could see some little rain cells around...LOTS of politics in town though...all those big PRI signs going up and painted on walls...ugh.

Mula - 5-14-2015 at 02:25 PM

Raining today in Lopez Mateos, Insurgentes and Constitucion.
And windy!

David K - 5-14-2015 at 02:35 PM

Sprinkled at 7:45am, then sunny until 1:00pm, more sprinkles and wind as storm front moves into North County San Diego. Wet outside now at 2:30pm Thur., but not raining at the moment. Biggest rain predicted for Friday morning about 7 am. Predicted 1-2 inches more rain from this unusual May rain. Nature is at work, and it is welcome.

2:45 edit: rain coming down nice now in San Marcos (30 miles north of San Diego/ 10 miles east of ocean/ Carlsbad).

[Edited on 5-14-2015 by David K]

DENNIS - 5-14-2015 at 02:52 PM

Just like the San Diego weatherman said last night....wind from the west today, changing to wind from the south [12 MPH from south right now] , along with a fair amount of rain.
I am so happy, I think I'll make a big fat drink......and wait.
SALUD

wessongroup - 5-14-2015 at 02:59 PM

Most sensible thing I've seen today :biggrin::biggrin:

I can't let you drink alone! It just ain't right.

Howard - 5-14-2015 at 03:03 PM

I was waiting for 5:00 but I am a giver and will throw one back with you. :biggrin:

Bob and Susan - 5-14-2015 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
...I read that it rained in Mulege the other day for 5 hours....

it was tuesday and it really didnt rain too much...no puddles
just enough to cool it down and keep plants green

it was sunny and clear by 5pm

today cloudy all day but sunny now at 430pm and a little breezy

Bajahowodd - 5-14-2015 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I was waiting for 5:00 but I am a giver and will throw one back with you. :biggrin:

Was that 5am or pm???:lol::lol::lol:

pauldavidmena - 5-14-2015 at 03:51 PM

I've heard second-hand reports of rain in Pescadero - or was that just the prediction of rain? In any case, I hope it's of the slow and steady variety.

woody with a view - 5-14-2015 at 03:55 PM

solid rain since 12:30pm in Long Beach. now it's calm.

tjsue - 5-14-2015 at 07:11 PM

It rained off and on starting at 2:00 today at work in San Diego, and I work in the Marina District.

5:00 somewhere - Alan Jackson

Howard - 5-14-2015 at 07:27 PM

Pour me somethin' tall an' strong,
Make it a "Hurricane" before I go insane.
It's only half-past twelve but I don't care.
He don't care.
I don't care.
It's five o'clock somewhere.

Ateo - 5-14-2015 at 08:10 PM

Coming down HARD in O'side right now.

BornFisher - 5-14-2015 at 09:43 PM

San Diego, Lindbergh field had .71 inches in 9 minutes!!!!! Check it out!!--------

AREAS OF SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEEN
OCCURRING...WITH CONVECTIVE BANDING BRINGING LOCALLY HEAVY
RAINFALL OVER AN INCH WHERE TRAINING OF THE PRECIPITATION IS
OCCURRING ALONG THE BANDS. SAN DIEGO LINDBERGH FIELD HAD 1.51 INCHES
IN ABOUT 90 MINUTES...INCLUDING 0.71 INCHES IN 9 MINUTES...MORE
TYPICAL OF A CONVECTIVE STORM IN THE MIDWEST OR SOUTHEAST THAN SAN
DIEGO. FLASH FLOOD WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE CITY OF SAN
DIEGO...AND WE HAVE HAD A REPORT OF FLOODING ALONG INTERSTATE 8.
PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES OF AROUND ONE INCH ARE QUITE RARE FOR
MAY...

David K - 5-15-2015 at 08:50 AM

Friday morning Report, North County San Diego:
Constant Rain since sunrise.
Very heavy at times last night.
Expected to last all day.
Record rainfall amounts here in San Diego for the month of May!
Flooded areas in San Diego, cars floating away shown on the news this morning.
Nature bats last!
:light:
:bounce:

shari - 5-15-2015 at 12:06 PM

Sirenita said it was pi$$ing down in Ensenada with more to come...gonna be some flooding, mudslides etc I imagine...be safe all.

Here in Asuncion, it is a chamber of commerce day, sunny, a very light breeze, air temps in the high 70's with a gorgeous big swell rolling in.
nah na na na nahhhh nah:P

sorry...and sorry for all the people in baja with leaky roofs...get the old towels out.

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nature bats last!
:light:
:bounce:

I can see the reservoirs filling up as we speak...or so my eyes tell me.

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2015 at 01:34 PM

forecasts and interpretation provided to your courtesy of a government agency and govt scientists!

DENNIS - 5-15-2015 at 03:27 PM

Love the rain. Hate the wind.

David K - 5-15-2015 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

forecasts and interpretation provided to your courtesy of a government agency and govt scientists!

I got mine from KUSI TV, (NOT a PBS station). :lol:

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 03:51 PM

I got mine from KUSI TV, (NOT a PBS station). :lol:

Their weatherman is not a meteorologist? :lol::lol:must be a fox network station.

bajabuddha - 5-15-2015 at 03:52 PM

KUSI TV... izzat a Fox station?

....beat me to it.....

[Edited on 5-15-2015 by bajabuddha]

David K - 5-15-2015 at 03:55 PM

Nope... you guys need to think for yourselves and not everything MSNBC or ??? feeds you!

Whale-ista - 5-15-2015 at 03:58 PM

Maybe the political commentary is only for my posts about rain... and FYI, I'm up on Palomar Mt. and it has rained pretty steadily since I arrived last night. Stay warm!

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Yes rain on the way here in San Diego. Looks like I'll be setting up my tent in the rain on Friday on Mt. Laguna.

Whale-ista - 5-15-2015 at 04:01 PM

Ooops....just got to the last few posts. Sigh..I guess even a simple discussion about weather attracts comments on government...

Well, I'm enjoying my stay on the mountain- 67 acres of very wild, lovely land. Lots of clouds, birds, water...peaceful and calm.

I wish you all the same this weekend.

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 04:08 PM

Have a good weekend Whaleista. hope you get a good steady rain. Its not the government this time its those darn criminal scientists and weathermen.

mtgoat666 - 5-15-2015 at 04:31 PM

Nope... you guys need to think for yourselves and not everything MSNBC or ??? feeds you!

i only watch Fox for the local weather - Crissy Russo is HOT!

dk, she just repeats what the government scientists say on the NOAA NWS website, but it is much HOTTER when she says it :lol::lol::lol:

Bajaboy - 5-15-2015 at 04:33 PM

Well my camping weekend was just canceled. Got a call saying Burnt Rancheria is closed due to e-coli in the water. I still plan on running up there anyways tomorrow but will sleep in my warm bed today.

David, thanks for helping me win the bet. I picked you to be the first but had to pay big odds to get any takers:P

bezzell - 5-15-2015 at 04:47 PM

Nature bats last!

:lol::lol::lol: Senator Inhofe anyone !? :lol:

tiotomasbcs - 5-15-2015 at 04:57 PM

OMG. I had forgotten the last weather post gone political Rant! Bajaboy knew it was coming. Comon DK, please don't play this Politico card. Just news! Whale-Ista--my family has an old cabin up on Palomar, since I was a kid. I'm sure there has been some good weather for Southbound travelers the last few days! Rained down south lightly from another Tropical system. Let it rain! Tomas

blackwolfmt - 5-15-2015 at 06:21 PM

Well my camping weekend was just canceled. Got a call saying Burnt Rancheria is closed due to e-coli in the water. I still plan on running up there anyways tomorrow but will sleep in my warm bed today.

David, thanks for helping me win the bet. I picked you to be the first but had to pay big odds to get any takers:P

You guys can read, right? Ralph, as usual made a slippery remark AFTER me.

Tell me how this was POLITICAL:

Nature bats last!

edit: It was Goat who first used the word "government". Again, the two super lefties who go out of their way to put a political spin on anything.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by David K]

I would say the nature bats last quote 5 inches of snow up here at 9000 ft in the san juans

rts551 - 5-15-2015 at 06:22 PM

You guys can read, right? Ralph, as usual made a slippery remark AFTER me.

Tell me how this was POLITICAL:

Nature bats last!

edit: It was Goat who first used the word "government". Again, the two super lefties who go out of their way to put a political spin on anything.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by David K]

poor picked on DK and his over used "nature bats last".

bajacamper - 5-15-2015 at 07:21 PM

The loony left is so easy to get cranked up. A glance to the right will do it every time. Funny!!

bajabuddha - 5-15-2015 at 10:12 PM

What tickles me is the quote from the Shell Island thread that our illustrious wanna-be says.
"You are quick to believe a government employee (who has a motive to remain in his position), ....."

When that government employee (re: NOAA employee, probably Master's Degree if not more, or aspiring intelligent student striving to get a post-grad degree who is ENSLAVED by the Establishment)... er-hrrmmm...

This employee probably has more initials AFTER his name than DK has in his whole one. Tell me, Oh Wise One... did you get an Associate's Degree in Lawn Care for your pre-med courses? Show credentials instead of "Nature bats last !!!!" Or, "Think for yourself !!!" I believe to go into post-grad work, that's the whole discipline, but ......I don't think you have the faintest idea of what that is.

The people dissed by that sentence are the ones who mathematically steer man-made vehicles onto flying comets, for kryst's sake.... they have more technology at their fingertips than you can even dream imaginable, and give their lives to study of things that affect the globe. If you were given the Keys to that Kingdom, I doubt you could even lift 'em off the floor... and DARE to diss PBS for being 'brainwashing'?

Yup, political thread. When bajaboy said in post #4,

Now comes the defense of "I never start it..."

BS is BS.... and two pounds in a one-pound bag. Maps, GPS, Google Earth, Tacomas, you DA MAN. Nature ain't the only one that bats last. Musta been a lonely Little League.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by bajabuddha]

David K - 5-16-2015 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
The loony left is so easy to get cranked up. A glance to the right will do it every time. Funny!!

Good morning! I seriously must be effective with my suggestions (that people trust their own brains and eyes and not what is spoon fed them)?

If what I say is so far from fact, and you are so sure I am wrong, ignore me, please!

Now, for a on topic wrap-up:

The rain has ended for now, blue sky this Saturday morning. We got about an inch of rain from this last storm. It was a big deal because we rarely get rain in May, here. More rain may come next week, too.

Weather patterns indicate we could have a seriously extra-wet Fall and Winter (as in El Niño style). However, like all predictions, it isn't a fact until it happens. It was only 5 years ago when there was so much rain, it washed out many bridges on Hwy. 1 in Baja... in case you forgot. We built dams to store water because it is normal to have a few years of little rain between the very wet months.

durrelllrobert - 5-16-2015 at 08:23 AM

i only watch Fox for the local weather - Crissy Russo is HOT!

dk, she just repeats what the government scientists say on the NOAA NWS website, but it is much HOTTER when she says it :lol::lol::lol:

Chrissy Russo is an American born journalist, meteorologist, show host, producer for Fox 5 San Diego. She practices the Israeli form of self-defense called Krav Maga and publically advocates it. Chrissy is well-known for being a natural on air with an energetic and dynamic delivery style. She is a hard working team player in the newsroom and in the field. She has a long history of credibility and integrity with her sources.

From being a beat reporter, news anchor, Padres pregame show reporter, FOX national correspondent for New Year’s Eve show to a meteorologist and traffic anchor, Chrissy has worked in the business since 1996.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo9bXXldVlgcA4aL7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByN2RnbHFoBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMw--?p=Chrissy+Russo+ San+Diego+Weather&vid=e022755ece544ace76e49ee4840577a8&l=4%3A51&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.vbTy7Tu02FDKQwxsW%252bNa9 g%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5IIhMwiWqcE&tit=San+Diego+Fox5+weather+girl+Chrissy+Russo+doing+the+weather%21 &c=2&sigr=11b10jt2b&sigt=11sf84shu&sigi=121edoqoc&age=1287768319&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=dss_yset_chr&tt=b

However, I think Mexican weather reporters are hotter:

DianaT - 5-16-2015 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
What tickles me is the quote from the Shell Island thread that our illustrious wanna-be says.
"You are quick to believe a government employee (who has a motive to remain in his position), ....."

When that government employee (re: NOAA employee, probably Master's Degree if not more, or aspiring intelligent student striving to get a post-grad degree who is ENSLAVED by the Establishment)... er-hrrmmm...

This employee probably has more initials AFTER his name than DK has in his whole one. Tell me, Oh Wise One... did you get an Associate's Degree in Lawn Care for your pre-med courses? Show credentials instead of "Nature bats last !!!!" Or, "Think for yourself !!!" I believe to go into post-grad work, that's the whole discipline, but ......I don't think you have the faintest idea of what that is.

The people dissed by that sentence are the ones who mathematically steer man-made vehicles onto flying comets, for kryst's sake.... they have more technology at their fingertips than you can even dream imaginable, and give their lives to study of things that affect the globe. If you were given the Keys to that Kingdom, I doubt you could even lift 'em off the floor... and DARE to diss PBS for being 'brainwashing'?

Yup, political thread. When bajaboy said in post #4,

Now comes the defense of "I never start it..."

BS is BS.... and two pounds in a one-pound bag. Maps, GPS, Google Earth, Tacomas, you DA MAN. Nature ain't the only one that bats last. Musta been a lonely Little League.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by bajabuddha]

woody with a view - 5-16-2015 at 09:08 AM

^^^that's funny!^^^

Bob, what are those women doing? I got distracted.....

durrelllrobert - 5-16-2015 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
^^^that's funny!^^^

Bob, what are those women doing? I got distracted.....

Pointing is what they do best with whatever they use.

DianaT - 5-16-2015 at 09:17 AM

We are in the rain shadow of the Eastern Sierra so for these last two storms, we have not had much rain --- we will take whatever we can get. It clouds up a lot, the wind comes, and off go the clouds to the Whites where it dumped some snow.

The first of the storms covered the higher areas with a few inches that melted away quite quickly. There was some snow as low as 6000 feet, but that disappeared in a hurry. One day Mammoth was dumped on with the pictures the next day beautiful, and by the next day we had to drive up to the high lakes to find any and it was melting away.

This time it snowed enough to close the three passes and we will see how fast it melts.

All of this may continue, but it is only putting a tiny dent in the drought problem and lack of snow pack. But on the positive side, if it continues, especially into the fall and winter, that will be a good thing. And since I am not an expert nor a scientist, I took this information from some experts.
Weather Station

While snow is unusual for May up here, it does happen as do freezes. The local advice is to not plant a garden until after Mule Days ---- and the mules are beginning to arrive.

bajabuddha - 5-16-2015 at 09:40 AM

It's snowing as I type here in Baja, NM above Hillsboro and Silver City in the Gilas, snow level about 7,000 ft.. The wind hasn't let up for almost two months now, and no end in sight. Woof.

woody with a view - 5-16-2015 at 10:48 AM

I just picked up the boat motor from the Outboard King Fernando and it is currently raining in Klantee (Santee), CA

DianaT - 5-16-2015 at 10:50 AM

.... Klantee ........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bajaboy - 5-16-2015 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
.... Klantee ........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aka Santucky

Bajaboy - 5-16-2015 at 01:21 PM

Now, for a on topic wrap-up:

Weather patterns indicate we could have a seriously extra-wet Fall and Winter (as in El Niño style.

Did you figure that all on your own? I'm guessing one of those conspiracy scientists might have influenced your prediction. Are you suggesting man made climate change is happening as well? You know they did predict our weather would become more volatile. Probably just a coincidence.

bajacamper - 5-16-2015 at 07:21 PM

I would never disparage your religion. Believe as you will.

David K - 5-27-2015 at 07:13 AM

Oh, update... Wednesday morning, San Diego... IT'S RAINING AGAIN!!!

4x4abc - 5-27-2015 at 09:26 AM

you'll be out of business soon, David. What are you gonna do next? Rain gutters?

David K - 5-27-2015 at 09:55 AM

I also install drain lines! They connect to the rain gutter down spouts and join with the line taking the back yard and planters' excess water, out to the street.

elgatoloco - 5-27-2015 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
you'll be out of business soon, David.

True that.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mwd-rebate-20150...

Mexitron - 5-27-2015 at 02:15 PM

Let's hope these late season rains are a precursor to a strong El Nino and drought busting year...its working in Texas quite well already and CA and Texas have both been in drought at about the same time.

bajacamper - 5-27-2015 at 06:44 PM

Had a few drops fall here on the Central coast about two weeks ago. Does that count? Guess we will keep our fingers crossed and keep watching to the south.

monoloco - 5-27-2015 at 06:59 PM

I also install drain lines! They connect to the rain gutter down spouts and join with the line taking the back yard and planters' excess water, out to the street.
Maybe it's a good time to get into the rainwater collection system business and save that water that flows to the street.

woody with a view - 5-27-2015 at 07:02 PM

wondering how storm #1 of the EPAC season will affect the central coast next week? i'll report back....

Mexitron - 5-28-2015 at 07:55 AM

wondering how storm #1 of the EPAC season will affect the central coast next week? i'll report back....

Three systems right now, in May! Typical, the weather blog is paying little attention to the Pacific, just to how dismal the Atlantic hurricane season is looking to be:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...

David K - 5-28-2015 at 08:42 AM

I don't install only lawn sprinklers.

The ones I do install are the water saving MP Rotators that the water districts have been giving rebates to those who convert sprays to rotators. I installed over 50 yesterday on a home in San Diego... on slopes and planters.

The customer had sprays, nearly all were 15 ft. nozzles, that flow nearly 2 gallons per minute. I replaced half with MP-2000 nozzles (flow just 0.8 gallon per minute and project the water up to 20 ft.). The other half only needed MP-1000 nozzles (flow just 0.4 gallon per minute up to 14 ft.).

*We eliminated dry spots with better coverage.
*We eliminated run off down the street as the new sprinklers have check valves that hold the water in the pipe as well as eliminated run off on the slopes with the lower application rate.

So, in the end, less water is used, nearly non is wasted or lost, and all his plants will live and live better.

Another alternative to sprinklers is drip irrigation, even under lawns is possible. My entire irrigation career has been in the field of advanced water saving irrigation systems. I have been installing drip irrigation on landscape since 1980, before most people even heard of drip irrigation. I was also the first user of the MP Rotator here when it was introduced, many years ago.

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by David K]

Mexitron - 5-28-2015 at 10:47 AM

Another advantage of the MPR is less evaporation due to larger droplet size (with a by-product bonus that these will operate in windier conditions--I have a few watering my cactus garden in Borrego Springs and I've seen these heads functioning in 20 mph winds...more or less)

BajaLuna - 5-28-2015 at 01:06 PM

I was really surprised when in Chula Vista a few weeks ago how many people in our old hood have replaced their lawns with artificial grass. Although that is probably an oil based product? which isn't great.

rain water harvesting is for sure the way to go! Although it is illegal now in several States, UGH!

Mexitron - 5-28-2015 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaLuna  
I was really surprised when in Chula Vista a few weeks ago how many people in our old hood have replaced their lawns with artificial grass. Although that is probably an oil based product? which isn't great.

rain water harvesting is for sure the way to go! Although it is illegal now in several States, UGH!

I hadn't heard about rainwater harvesting being illegal in some states...it isn't illegal in Texas, in fact you don't even need a permit. I did find a pretty good explanation of the notion that harvesting rainwater is illegal:

" I was kind of shocked at the number of Internet articles I've found (having just googled it) claiming that rainwater harvesting is "illegal." But on closer inspection, I find they are mostly repeats of each other, all making the same exaggerated claim, without citing any facts.

Rainwater harvesting is not illegal. It was heavily restricted in Colorado, Washington and Utah until 2009, but all three states have since relaxed their bans. In six or seven other states, rainwater harvesting is regulated -- you have to obtain a permit, which is in most cases is about making certain that your harvesting equipment doesn't contaminate groundwater -- but not illegal. (You have to obtain permits to construct houses or drive automobiles, but that doesn't make people claim such activities are "illegal.")

The guy in Colorado who was jailed for 30 days in 2012 had been denied his permit, but went ahead and built three giant reservoirs anyway -- in other words, his real offence was defying the state regulatory agency.

Anyway. The theory behind regulation of rainwater harvesting is simple: water falling from the sky is public property, not private property, and belongs in the water table where it can restore diminished streams and reservoirs. Those who collect it privately are "hoarding" it. Of course the opposite theory is: a person who uses rainwater first is consuming less public water.

The Internet, not being subject to any kind of screening or editing, is a great place to plant and spread misinformation for political purposes. Re-read any of those "rainwater collecting is illegal" articles and you'll note the political spin, which is a first hint that the article is exaggerated. Here is a link to one of the more balanced ones:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/..."

[Edited on 5-28-2015 by Mexitron]

David K - 5-28-2015 at 03:21 PM

It used to be illegal here, as the barrels of water become breeding ground for mosquitoes. Gray water recycling was also not allowed a while back for fear of biological contamination.

I am confident the drama of this "so-called" drought will end soon... just as it has many times before... NATURALLY.

The first 'modern' drought was in the early 90's, and I was selling lots of drip irrigation conversion products to folks who either wanted to or were instructed to stop sprinkler watering of planters. The very wet winters that followed had people going back to installing cheaper sprinklers and not maintaining the drip systems (many were poor quality or poorly installed).

motoged - 5-28-2015 at 03:25 PM

And what is the process when you glance to your left? :spingrin:

David K - 5-28-2015 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

And what is the process when you glance to your left? :spingrin:

That's just very painful for most... sometimes the pain sets in after 4 or 8 years, however! :light:

bajabuddha - 5-28-2015 at 09:00 PM

Get ready for 8 more years of pain, Sunny Boy. :P

bajacamper - 5-29-2015 at 10:46 AM

Just let them snooze on. They have done more than enough damage.

vandenberg - 5-29-2015 at 12:34 PM

I'm waiting for the GOP to come up with another dozen or so candidates.
Got to find a decent one in that bunch somewhere.:light:
Maybe another try for McCain??:?::?::biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2015 at 01:09 PM

Bernie Sanders will be the next president of the USA!

https://youtu.be/oHHzTdu6Clw

Freedom of speech does not mean the freedom to buy the United States government. Oil companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, Wall Street bankers and other powerful special interests have poured money into our political system for years. In 2010, a bad situation turned worse. In a 5-4 decision in the Citizens United case, the Supreme Court opened the floodgates for corporations and the wealthy to spend unlimited and undisclosed money to buy our elected officials. The Supreme Court essentially declared that corporations have the same rights as natural-born human beings.

Our democracy is under fierce attack. Billionaire families are now able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the candidates of their choice. These people own most of the economy. Now they want to own our government as well. The Koch brothers, the second wealthiest family in America, plan to spend some $900 million in the coming 2016 election — more money than either of our major parties spent in the last election. That is not democracy. That is oligarchy. To restore our one person-one vote democracy, Congress must pass a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United and move toward public funding of elections.

Topic....Rain coming?

AKgringo - 5-29-2015 at 01:36 PM

Who cares? It is much more fun throwing political barbs at each other!
I am waiting now to see who is the first one to say "Well he started it!"

tiotomasbcs - 5-29-2015 at 01:42 PM

As the original poster am I able to edit out this entire post which has turned into drivel or worse? How? It doesn't appear we can even discuss the weather! Tio

norte - 5-29-2015 at 01:43 PM

there has to be someone in the left that doesn't play with boys in the locker room shower and then pay 3 1/2 million dollars to keep it quiet. He shoul:biggrin:dn't have glanced at all.

sargentodiaz - 5-29-2015 at 01:53 PM

I've seen and read a number of reports indicating this is going to be an early and very active cyclone season. Not many hurricanes in the Atlantic but expectations for lots of activity in the eastern Pacific - US.

Already getting higher than usual waves.

Be interesting to see if what is happening in Texas will happen here. Theyv'e just made up for 5 years of severe drought.

Editing

AKgringo - 5-29-2015 at 01:56 PM

Tio, I started a poorly conceived topic once, and was not able to remove it, only Doug can do that. About all you can do is remove your own text, but the topic and all other replies would still be there.
If you are done with it, you might try the report button and ask Doug to end it or move it to off topic.

norte - 5-29-2015 at 03:15 PM

It used to be illegal here, as the barrels of water become breeding ground for mosquitoes. Gray water recycling was also not allowed a while back for fear of biological contamination.

I am confident the drama of this "so-called" drought will end soon... just as it has many times before... NATURALLY.

The first 'modern' drought was in the early 90's, and I was selling lots of drip irrigation conversion products to folks who either wanted to or were instructed to stop sprinkler watering of planters. The very wet winters that followed had people going back to installing cheaper sprinklers and not maintaining the drip systems (many were poor quality or poorly installed).

Grey water doesn't have to be a breading ground for anything as long as it is done right. "so called" drought? The it is not a problem if we terminate water releases from up North and the Colorado river to San Dingo/Los Angeles area? DavidK. Where does a school teacher get $3.5 million for payoff money? About as smart as pretending there is no drought.

elgatoloco - 5-30-2015 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

Trump/Hastert 2016!

mtgoat666 - 5-30-2015 at 01:03 PM

...the drama of this "so-called" drought...

if you think "drought" is a misnomer, what should we call it? dryness? dearth? deficit? parchedness? deficit?

by "drama" do you mean to say that the collective we are being hysterical without reason? what do you think we should do? just go on as usual and cross our fingers that the rain and snow return next year?

rts551 - 5-30-2015 at 01:30 PM

So Cal needs to start a toilet to sink program instead of relying on everyone elses water.

David K - 5-30-2015 at 03:56 PM

Predicting future weather conditions, climate change, etc. is still nothing more than a prediction, and not science. Science is the study of what is and what was, not what might be:

In the May, 1940 issue of Desert Magazine (that's 75 years ago for those of you in Rio Linda or watching CNN & MSNBC):

RECORD DROUGHT IS
PREDICTED IN 1946

Super drought in 1946 with possibility
that Lake Mead will go dry in 25
years, was predicted by Halbert P. Gillette,
San Marino, California engineer in
discussion of geological calendar based
on silt deposits known as varves. Gillette
has spent 14 years studying varves, going
back 4200 years.
• • •

mtgoat666 - 5-30-2015 at 04:08 PM

Predicting future weather conditions, climate change, etc. is still nothing more than a prediction, and not science. Science is the study of what is and what was, not what might be

Hmmmmmmm....

Mexitron - 5-30-2015 at 04:37 PM

Predicting future weather conditions, climate change, etc. is still nothing more than a prediction, and not science. Science is the study of what is and what was, not what might be:

In the May, 1940 issue of Desert Magazine (that's 75 years ago for those of you in Rio Linda or watching CNN & MSNBC):

RECORD DROUGHT IS
PREDICTED IN 1946

back 4200 years.
• • •

Not that I'm defending any high-grade ability on our part to predict the weather but going back to 1940 to prove that weather science is BS is a little far reaching--I mean we do have supercomputers now...I'd give us a slight edge over 1940. I am amazed, for instance, that the weather can be somewhat reliably forecast 5 and even 10 days out now...in 1940 there were no computers being used for this, nor were there weather satellites--in fact pretty much what they were using were communications from ocean-going ships to see what they weather was west of them. Predicting the weather from geological strata is fraught with inconsistencies in the small time frame this guy was working with.

SFandH - 5-30-2015 at 04:44 PM

Science is the study of what is and what was, not what might be:

That's not true.

Newton's theory of gravitation predicts a total lunar eclipse in San Diego this coming September 27th.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/san-diego

Do you want to bet against it?

Good scientific theories have powerful predictive capabilities.

[Edited on 5-30-2015 by SFandH]

rts551 - 5-30-2015 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

RECORD DROUGHT IS
PREDICTED IN 1946

back 4200 years.
• • •

Not that I'm defending any high-grade ability on our part to predict the weather but going back to 1940 to prove that weather science is BS is a little far reaching--I mean we do have supercomputers now...I'd give us a slight edge over 1940. I am amazed, for instance, that the weather can be somewhat reliably forecast 5 and even 10 days out now...in 1940 there were no computers being used for this, nor were there weather satellites--in fact pretty much what they were using were communications from ocean-going ships to see what they weather was west of them. Predicting the weather from geological strata is fraught with inconsistencies in the small time frame this guy was working with.

Have you seen a supercomputer. I heard that they were something made up by the government just to get more tax money. They also release water from the reservoirs at night just to make you think they are going dry. ANd after Preisdent Obama takes over Texas, he is going to pronounce himself dictator over the USA (he has the military backing him in this).

wessongroup - 5-30-2015 at 05:42 PM

California’s largest lake is slipping away amid an epic drought

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/californias-l...

"But that spigot is scheduled to be closed at the end of 2017, and the date looms like a hard deadline for ecological disaster."

Which can be observed ... up at Mono Lake ... when a lake dries up and the dry lake bed starts .. blowing around .. not to mention all the "toxic materials" from industry that have come to rest in the bottom of the Salton Sea .. which will be part of what is blowing around .. there are other examples of this effect ... on the planet, at this time

[Edited on 5-31-2015 by wessongroup]

elgatoloco - 6-16-2015 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

Trump/Hastert 2016!

Bump. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Osprey - 6-16-2015 at 06:16 PM

Don't bump this. What if I start a thread with "Trouble Coming". Or how about "Not much rain again". Tio, point us to a place we start or don't post at all. WTF

bajabuddha - 6-16-2015 at 10:13 PM

Too late. The Donald already posted this morning. Suffahhhh........ ;)

Sweetwater - 6-17-2015 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

RECORD DROUGHT IS
PREDICTED IN 1946

back 4200 years.
• • •

Have you seen a supercomputer. I heard that they were something made up by the government just to get more tax money. They also release water from the reservoirs at night just to make you think they are going dry. ANd after Preisdent Obama takes over Texas, he is going to pronounce himself dictator over the USA (he has the military backing him in this).

ROFLMAO

Wait, don't you have a Death Panel to attend? I just know that was also part of the Affordable Care Act.....

rts551 - 6-17-2015 at 11:04 AM

I think the Pope is going to ask you to start using science.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/15/pope-francis-de...

RECORD DROUGHT IS
PREDICTED IN 1946

back 4200 years.
• • •

norte - 6-18-2015 at 01:17 PM

Did the Pope make his statement yet? I saw where Rush basically told him to mind his own business.

[Edited on 6-18-2015 by norte]

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2015 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Did the Pope make his statement yet? I saw where Rush basically told him to mind his own business.

it's everybody's business :light:

DianaT - 6-18-2015 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

it's everybody's business :light:

The list of Republicans who want the Pope to be quiet about everything is growing. They not only don't want him to talk about climate change, they don't want talking about things like poverty, economics, human rights, equality, etc.

Limbaugh called the Pope's comments about climate change Marxist ---

Good to see the Pope shake things up!

Ralph, I almost sprayed coffee all over my computer. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-18-2015 by DianaT]

tiotomasbcs - 6-19-2015 at 02:00 PM

Thot this had finally died, Osprey. Asked earlier if I could DELETE the whole mess. Understanding only Doug can wield this power? Oh Great One... at least send it to the Otro Lado. Just goes to show ya... :o Tio

bajabuddha - 6-19-2015 at 03:36 PM

Tio, you've been a member since 2007. Haven't you noticed EVERY thread, if it makes it past page two at the latest either becomes a hijack or a quasi-politico-climatological pizzing match between the same cadre with the same agendas saying the same exact things as the last thread that finally got locked around page 8?

Don't take it so personal; once you pop it, you can't stop it! :biggrin:

wessongroup - 6-19-2015 at 03:57 PM

Will say that this year in SoCal ... .the "June Glom" has been somewhat absent again this year .. 90º in the shade here today with no marine layer which is typical ... which is interesting and is found by some to have linkage to you know what

Scientist Says ‘June Gloom’ Disappearing As Weather Ripple Effect Escalates Drought

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/06/08/scientist-says-jun...

Born an raised in SoCal ... things have changed a bit

Not sure if the same is being seen in Baja ... ??

[Edited on 6-19-2015 by wessongroup]