BajaNomad

Summer on the East Cape

Jkberg - 5-26-2015 at 07:19 PM

So, are we foolish to plan a stay on the East Cape from May through September next year with the idea that we would be able to fish (on shore and near shore), kayak, and swim or is it too hot to enjoy such pursuits during those months?

Pompano - 5-26-2015 at 08:07 PM

It's what you like and are comfortable with that matters.

The East Cape region of the south can get pretty hot while the southern tip, Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos, are usually somewhat cooler because of the breezes that come off of the Pacific Ocean. If you like heat, go for it! I would definetely have AC available as an escape for when you are melting away...looking at sunstroke...or just wanting a good night's sleep.

May-June are probably the best months of the year on the Cape. And after that.. July-August ...the crowds will be less, prices cheaper, etc.

Osprey - 5-27-2015 at 07:20 AM

I live in East Cape and most summer months on my patio don't see much above 93°. No crowded beaches if you dry camp anywhere. Most nice beaches have free palm ramadas for shade. Just stay wet and drink lots of water, vodka, tequila, beer, etc. If you follow my advice you won't even know its hot --- Tuesday somebody may remind you that Monday was a killer but that's not the way you'll remember it.

El Jefe - 5-27-2015 at 10:07 AM

Daytime temps are tolerable if you have a shady spot to hang out. The water is warm, the fish are frisky and life takes on a torpid, lazy splendor. The hard part for me is getting a good night's sleep. It gets still at night so you need a fan blowing on you at a minimum. Think of it this way. The big sea out there is 88 degrees. How cool do you think it will get tonight right next to it?

Now that we have enough solar panels we can run AC. Oh my! Nothing like a little mid day nappitito on a hot, humid day and having to pull a blankie up to your chin cuz it's a little cold in here!

Short of AC a good hammock is an option you might consider. Beats lying in a puddle of sweat on a hot mattress.

David K - 5-27-2015 at 10:16 AM

Living the life, eh Tom?

BajaUtah - 5-27-2015 at 12:19 PM

May -June I don't think you can find a nicer place to be.

July trough September - As others have said it gets toasty but for me I like it toasty - I have a foam panel house that is way over AC'd when it gets too hot outside. The water is warm and the surf is at it's best which is my drug of choice.

Just remember that August and September are prime hurricane months. We survived Odile last year with minimal damage to the house but no power for weeks. Have a bug out plan in case it gets sporty.

Jkberg - 5-27-2015 at 01:15 PM

Love the advice -- especially about the relaxation vice(s).

mtgoat666 - 5-27-2015 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jkberg  
So, are we foolish to plan a stay on the East Cape from May through September next year with the idea that we would be able to fish (on shore and near shore), kayak, and swim or is it too hot to enjoy such pursuits during those months?

heat of summer is a matter of personal taste. personally, i think it way too hot. you will find many people here that flee the heat. you will also find some people here that will tell you they like the heat.
it's your choice.

cliffh - 5-27-2015 at 02:39 PM

keeping cool, while at Buckskin on the river above parker last July in our 5th wheel, 118+ under a big shade tree, a young couple came in pulling a jet ski. Put up a tent, we thought kids our tough.Then pulled a 1/2 ton 110 a/c out if his car plugged in put ac in a slit back of tent on a milk crate. Went over to say hi went inside tent was cooler then 5th wheel. Slick!!

Hook - 5-28-2015 at 06:46 AM

The days are manageable in that kind of heat, if you engage in water activities or do the occasional outdoor shower. If you are in the shade with a breeze blowing, it's fine. Use an outdoor fan on still days.

It's really the NIGHTS that test your ability to be comfortable.

Our weather over here on the coast of Sonora is probably comparable in August and Sept and for us, a simply fan blowing at night is often not enough. AC is required for a comfortable sleep. It's a situation where the relative humidity always stays above 80% at night. Humidity always increases at night, due to the lack of sun. But, at that time of year, even clear days are at 60-70%.

Now, after the first monsoonal rains measuring an inch or two hit, the bugs usually come out in two weeks after that. Mosquitos increase and no-see-ums are more prominent in their localized areas. But, for me, it's the increase in the bobitos that is the worst. These are tiny gnat-like flies that are intent on getting at the liquid in your eyes. They can be constantly around your face, any time you are outside. Very annoying. And it seems like there is a small percentage of them (like 10% or less) that actually do bite. They are just a huge annoyance, more than anything, though. So, that's your daytime problem.

Given a choice, we always leave for August and September. It's just too nice in the mountains of the States to not make that choice. Mosquitos are winding down and most people have already taken their summer vacation, so the forests become more open...........until the hunters arrive in mid-late September with their ATVs. We generally return around Oct 10-15. The bugs aren't gone, but the humidity USUALLY has abated, somewhat.

El Jefe - 5-28-2015 at 10:22 AM

Well said Hook. Yes, the bobos are really an annoyance after the rains start up. We too "bug out" August and September. By that time I'm pretty much surfed out anyway. This old man needs a rest!

A hat with a bug net over it is a must if you want to be outdoors morning and late afternoon. Just keep in mind that a whole bunch of Mexicans endure the summer months every year of their lives. Key word there is endure. It can be done, but will your fun meter peg one way in the daytime and the other way at night? And how will that average out? Only you can say.

Jkberg - 5-28-2015 at 05:23 PM

We have the head nets from our years in Alaska; so, we agree you don't want to be anywhere where you actually have to use them!