BajaNomad

Come out, come out wherever you are.

Osprey - 5-29-2015 at 10:32 AM

Today's stats show almost 9,000 forum members. The board has a very diverse range of subjects --- whatever your interests, if Baja is on your mind you can find something here. Now you find things to read here. If you're not too busy to tune in to read things you are interested in, why won't you be involved?

It's very easy, you know how to do it. Would you prefer that about 50 out of your 9,000 do all the posting and thinking for you? That's what you have now.

You are cordially invited to join Baja Nomads as people who DO MORE THAN READ AND JUST SIT ON THE SIDELINES.

Don't be afraid. Dennis and I will protect you from bullies and Doug will protect you from us.

Jorge

uemsn11 - 5-29-2015 at 12:06 PM

Hi Osprey,
Thank you for your kind invitation. You are right, some of us lurk in the background because we love Baja and can only hope that one day we will be one of the lucky ones to retire there. We all can dream, right?
I personally love to read your posts, I love to read Pompano's memories.... I am personally jealous of Shari's amazing life (hope one day to be able to join her in one of the whale watching tours). Blanca inspire me to be better, one of the most unselfish persons I have ever "seen" in this forum. I can go on and on on what I learn from many of you that I have the pleasure to read when time allows it. Sometimes things get out of control, when somebody wakes up on the wrong side of their bed...but even then, it is fun to read. :lol:
When I can join, I usually join at night or sometimes during my break time or lunch (when I am at the office).
Although I don't have many adventures to share with you all, since I barely travel for pleasure (I do travel for business, which is not the same), I will try to participate as time allows me to.
Thank you for nudged me out of the shadow.

Future Bajanomad :)

David K - 5-29-2015 at 12:45 PM

More Nomad members sharing their stories would be great and always welcomed by me and others who know Baja is for anyone who seeks wonder and adventure!

Osprey - 5-29-2015 at 12:45 PM

Thanks. We need you. Without your interest forums often devolve into little cliques and lose the flavor of variety, become a place for only those with free time and fingers. You are waiting for things Baja and us old timers are waiting for new people with new perspectives and appetites and voices. Hope your message is a call to many more dreamers with thoughts and questions yet to be addressed.

sancho - 5-29-2015 at 01:56 PM

Some Baja experienced hands, who have much time SOB, don't see the need to post their stories on a message board. Heck
they may have never read BNomad. Back in the day, hanging
out at the original Marina de La Paz, listening to sailing stories,
was a low key guy, rarely spoke, who I was later told, has 3
circumnavigations under his belt. Then their are those who
enjoy relating their stories

Osprey - 5-29-2015 at 02:22 PM

Sancho, I was just trying to reach out to that part of the 8300 people who do read the forum but don't post.

As for me, if I went to La Paz 3 times you'd hear all about it.

Lee - 5-29-2015 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by uemsn11  
I am personally jealous of Shari's amazing life (hope one day to be able to join her in one of the whale watching tours).

Meeting shari AND getting close to a whale and generally hanging in GN or BA will change your life. It's all another reality. It's a day drive from the border. What are you waiting for?

David K - 5-29-2015 at 04:34 PM

Not all the registered Nomads read the forums. Some join, and never come back. Some have changed their handle here and have 2 or more 'accounts' because they forgot their password or didn't like the name they first registered with.

An example, Doug is #1 (August, 2002)and between the time he opened the new Nomad forums, told me, and I got on line, 8 others joined... that is why I am Nomad #10. Only one of those 8 posted at all and just twice, and never again.

Here is the member list by registration date, and note how many have 0 posts: http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=list and many have less than 5. They join, ask about Baja travel, and never come back here again.

Bajahowodd - 5-29-2015 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I am personally jealous of Shari's amazing life (hope one day to be able to join her in one of the whale watching tours).

Meeting shari AND getting close to a whale and generally hanging in GN or BA will change your life. It's all another reality. It's a day drive from the border. What are you waiting for?

Never have gone on one of Shari's tours, but have been in Laguna Ojo de Liebre at least six times, and San Ignacio Lagoon a couple of times.

It is a life changing experience to be out there and pet the whales, and we have brought several folks with us subsequent to our first time, just to show them that.

I have met Shari at the lagoon, as well as her daughter Sirena. Just never got our dates straight to go out with her.

ehall - 5-29-2015 at 06:50 PM

I like the trip reports and pictures. Wish more people would post.

4Cata - 5-29-2015 at 11:09 PM

I am among those that registered, then forgot their password and had to come back it, though it seems that my two accounts have been merged, at least it shows that I registered in 2008 but didn't participate, ie., post in the interim. Now that I no longer have to "get off the computer and turn off the light", I can stay up and lurk, surf or post whenever the hell I want to. I disagree with lencho that a civil environment cannot be recovered, in fact, I sometimes hope it can't since the spicy duelling is entertaining.

Ateo - 5-29-2015 at 11:22 PM

I really wish this site was moderated. There is a certain stench that lingers here. I remember before signing up and becoming a member that there were a few people involved in some serious peeing matches on here. THAT was my first impression of this site.

Most people don't want to deal with personal attacks just to get some Baja info. There are other options these days.

That said, I've made some great friends on here.

ehall - 5-30-2015 at 06:14 AM

Haha I wouldn't give up on the site yet. I have gotten a lot of great info and met a few good people I now call friends.

shari - 5-30-2015 at 06:54 AM

Ditto what Osprey is getting at! Come on in, the water's fine folks! I love reading what new members have to say with a fresh perspective. Pay no mind to the sharks! they are toothless

Paulina - 5-30-2015 at 08:06 AM

Photo test. If this works, I'll have a few trip reports to type up. I'm not worried about the Sharks in the tank, just busy with life.

P>*)))>{

David K - 5-30-2015 at 08:15 AM

Way to go Paulina! Another Nomad from August, 2002 who shares her stories and photos, thank you for all that you contribute!

Rossman - 5-30-2015 at 08:48 AM

Well now here is a thread that is reaching 20 replies and has stayed on topic, and not that it is important at all, I find myself agreeing with most replies. I joined last year when I was contemplating a move to Baja and lurked for some time before that and found it a wealth of knowledge. The search function is priceless in finding archived information. There is pretty much no question that can be asked about Baja that hasn't been asked before, and if I need more specific information, I U2U someone who has posted pertinent information on the subject in the past. I am sure I have more U2U s than posts.

However

Now that I am living down here, and am experiencing almost daily adventures and monthly forays into different parts of Baja, i find myself asking the question, "which one or two of these jackals am I going to wake up if I post a report on the Nomad site?" I feel like I should send it to a PR firm to make sure that everything is spelled correctly and is politically correct and if I mention that the water was warm, or the water was cold, I have to have backup data and witnesses to support my report. Now that I live down here, I find I have all the time in the world to do the things I want to do, but I can't find time for that. Like Ateo said, there are simply too many other options.

David K - 5-30-2015 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Well now here is a thread that is reaching 20 replies and has stayed on topic, and not that it is important at all, I find myself agreeing with most replies. I joined last year when I was contemplating a move to Baja and lurked for some time before that and found it a wealth of knowledge. The search function is priceless in finding archived information. There is pretty much no question that can be asked about Baja that hasn't been asked before, and if I need more specific information, I U2U someone who has posted pertinent information on the subject in the past. I am sure I have more U2U s than posts.

However

Now that I am living down here, and am experiencing almost daily adventures and monthly forays into different parts of Baja, i find myself asking the question, "which one or two of these jackals am I going to wake up if I post a report on the Nomad site?" I feel like I should send it to a PR firm to make sure that everything is spelled correctly and is politically correct and if I mention that the water was warm, or the water was cold, I have to have backup data and witnesses to support my report. Now that I live down here, I find I have all the time in the world to do the things I want to do, but I can't find time for that. Like Ateo said, there are simply too many other options.

Welcome to the fun... and don't let any Nomads chase you away. I am trying to ignore the prods that keep hitting on me (getting older helps, I find). As for who you 'wake up' when you click the Report button, that would be only the forum's owner, Doug... unless he gets a moderator to help him.

Share your Baja adventures and thoughts... no matter how many negative replies or how few positive ones there may be, a whole ton of lurkers read this site and you help countless others have a wonderful experience in Baja... a great gift to those who appreciate such knowledge.

Viva Baja and Viva Baja Nomad!

Osprey - 5-30-2015 at 09:12 AM

There's safety in numbers so the more posts by lurkers will assure we have more friendly Pollyannas than grouchy Jeremiahs.

First Jackel!

AKgringo - 5-30-2015 at 10:04 AM

Rossman, you say you joined last year, but your member date is 10-6-13, CLEARLY more than a year! Here is where I should probably put an LOL, or smiley face to let you know I am kidding, but if you thought it was a personal attack, or off topic, hit the report button on the top right of my post. I am sure that is what DavidK was talking about, but I think you were talking about trip reports.
I hope you do start posting reports. I have been following this forum for less than a year, and always look forward to fresh info from folks that are on the ground in places I want to visit. What I look forward to even more than being able to ask questions from fellow Nomads, is getting answers to questions that I did not even think to ask!
I have posted a few road condition reports, but lacked the organizational skills to add photos. Next trip down I will try to correct that deficiency.

pauldavidmena - 5-30-2015 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Not all the registered Nomads read the forums. Some join, and never come back. Some have changed their handle here and have 2 or more 'accounts' because they forgot their password or didn't like the name they first registered with.

An example, Doug is #1 (August, 2002)and between the time he opened the new Nomad forums, told me, and I got on line, 8 others joined... that is why I am Nomad #10. Only one of those 8 posted at all and just twice, and never again.

Here is the member list by registration date, and note how many have 0 posts: http://forums.bajanomad.com/misc.php?action=list and many have less than 5. They join, ask about Baja travel, and never come back here again.

Very interesting statistics. It reminds me a bit of gym membership - hundreds might join a particular health club, but very few get into the habit of using their membership. If only one could lose weight by joining alone!

I'm a Baja wannabee who posts here looking for information from time to time, but I'm also trying to distill a sense of community from hopefully like-minded individuals. I'm 55 and plan to retire to Baja at 60, and have learned that a group of expats willing to share their experience with others is a far greater resource than any book or website. For that reason I'm more prolific than a lurker, but as a working stiff, I don't have the time to be more than a strategic hit-and-run poster.

Every so often I get irritated by some of the sniping, but I've found it to be remarkably humane for an unmoderated forum. Yes, I've been picked on for "asking too many questions", but that's about the extent of it. On the other hand, I've met several Nomads whom I would now consider to be friends, and for that alone this forum is priceless.

elgatoloco - 5-30-2015 at 12:27 PM

Don' sweat the small stuff.

elgatoloco - 5-30-2015 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  

Photo test. If this works, I'll have a few trip reports to type up. I'm not worried about the Sharks in the tank, just busy with life.

P>*)))>{

Wow! Cant wait to hear about it. You ARE the luckiest gal in the world....not married to me. ;D:dudette:

rts551 - 5-30-2015 at 01:35 PM

How many active posters are left on this forum? Osprey's call to arms has only generated 15 or so posters so far.

BajaBean - 5-30-2015 at 02:37 PM

Would a trip report on the mainland be acceptable?:?:

DanO - 5-30-2015 at 03:08 PM

I'm not in a helpful, informative mood right now. I gotta go take a nap.

pauldavidmena - 5-30-2015 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBean  
Would a trip report on the mainland be acceptable?:?:

You're in luck! The forum has a sub-forum specifically created for Non-Baja Trip Reports

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2015 at 03:22 PM

uemsn11- thanks for your kind words and what a nice post !

good on you, Osprey, I really LIKE this idea that more lurkers could pony up and say hi. just once at least :)))

Kgryfon - 5-30-2015 at 03:58 PM

I post once in a while and lurk much more than that! I love to read the stories and certainly hope that site doesn't shut down!

grizzlyfsh95 - 5-30-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kgryfon  
I post once in a while and lurk much more than that! I love to read the stories and certainly hope that site doesn't shut down!

I'll buy that.

VegasNick - 5-30-2015 at 06:40 PM

I am here just waiting on November to get here so we can make our first Baja run!

durrelllrobert - 5-31-2015 at 09:13 AM

Hi Osprey,
Thank you for your kind invitation. You are right, some of us lurk in the background because we love Baja and can only hope that one day we will be one of the lucky ones to retire there. We all can dream, right?
I personally love to read your posts, I love to read Pompano's memories.... I am personally jealous of Shari's amazing life (hope one day to be able to join her in one of the whale watching tours). Blanca inspire me to be better, one of the most unselfish persons I have ever "seen" in this forum. I can go on and on on what I learn from many of you that I have the pleasure to read when time allows it. Sometimes things get out of control, when somebody wakes up on the wrong side of their bed...but even then, it is fun to read. :lol:
When I can join, I usually join at night or sometimes during my break time or lunch (when I am at the office).
Although I don't have many adventures to share with you all, since I barely travel for pleasure (I do travel for business, which is not the same), I will try to participate as time allows me to.

Before I retired and moved to Baja I also traveled a lot on businees, as evidenced by the nearlry two milion miles loged in the American Aielines frquent flyer program. As I recall most of that BUSINESS trvel did result in a lot of PLEASURE travel at the same time (but my wife never found out about that) :lol::lol::lol:

pacocacho - 6-2-2015 at 09:39 AM

Hi...

Well, I admit I have been reading the Forum since a couple of years ago, and this will be my first post.
I’m not sure it will help in the stats, since I had to register to post, so even if I am a more or less frequent reader, I’m not one of the 8950 register non-writers…
So now one more writer and one more registered… doesn’t help…

Thanks for sharing. For me its nostalgia everywhere. I’ve been out of Mexico for 15 years. Lived in La Paz in the late 90´s… was partner in Scubaja… (living the dream) but it all went sour when CaliforniaNet went bankrupt…

So I read and enjoy the adventures. Could write a few of my own, but they are from almost 20 years ago.

Maby I'll open a new thread...

bajacamper - 6-3-2015 at 06:52 PM

A great thread.. The reason I joined BN years ago was because of the people, old and new. They had dreams of Baja, as did I, and shared their thoughts without snarky comments. I left the forum for a long time but kept lurking almost daily....Well, I'm back. A lot of good folks are still here and it is interesting to note that the worst offenders are not commenting on this thread.

Thanks for the post Osprey

Whale-ista - 6-3-2015 at 07:25 PM

I may be one of those who had a previous user ID and lost track of it.

I lived in Baja in the 90s, then was away working in California for about 10 years. A couple years ago, when I had time to travel again, I started a new account.

Enjoy others' photos & posts. Considering living SOB again, and as others note: there's a wealth of information on this board and lots of good experience to go with it.

Also agree there is a nasty undercurrent that can swirl up sometimes. I've found it best to just keep paddling and enjoy the bright spots.