BajaNomad

8 daze in BdeLA

woody with a view - 6-7-2015 at 11:54 AM

Arrived in Bahia de Los Angeles around 2pm last Friday and all was groovy with the world. When we got unpacked and started to get the boat ready for the next morning I noticed one of the runners on the trailer had come loose and pounded a hole in the transom of the boat.

Made a run to town and rounded up some L brackets, bolts and nuts and broke out the framing hammer! after some Baja-style surgery I slathered on a metric butt-ton of silicone to seal the wound. Ended up mostly water tight.

For the next few days we chased schools of YT in 20 feet of water all over the south bay. The commercial guys were out raping and pillaging and would wrap their nets around the schools, pulling out a ton at a time. After four days of this they got every last fish in the area.

We got up before the sun on Wednesday and headed for the ramp to fish with Enrique. I'd just finished wiring up my new LED light bar and it worked real well. KC's doing the long range work and the LEDs lighting up the close in sharp rocks!

We had a blast and we limited on the YT between 20-35 pounds. Bia alway get the "Crazy Fish Award" and caught two legit red snapper and a grouper, in addition to a bunch of YT. We actually had double hookups 3 times in a row! We were cleaning fish by 11am at Don Juan Cove and off the water just after noon. Perfect day on the Bay.

We spent the next few days kicking back and enjoying our hard earned time away from The Grind! We even had a KrishnaMurphy sighting!

Yellowtail Sashimi anyone? It always tastes best on the beach! I did get the 12v satellite radio figured out as well.

Next to last day was spent cooling off under the rain clouds from Tropical Storm Andres. Actually got some sprinkles from it!

We left some fish carcasses up the beach for the birds and were surprised to see a young coyote come circle us and follow the scent up to the prize!

There were dozens of Manta Rays doing their thing along the beach as well. Never seen it in person but it was cool!

On the way home we stayed at the new hotel south of Colonet. $42 for the room which was pretty nice. We had dinner there as well and if you only remember one word, just walk in and say "MOL CA HET A" - Molcahete is there version of chicken and carne combo fajitas and it was unreal!

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by BajaNomad]

[Edited on 6-7-2015 by woody with a view]

Skipjack Joe - 6-7-2015 at 12:33 PM

Looks as though you had a fine trip.

I lost a runner like that on a long ago baja trip as well. The entire board fell off and one side of the boat was sitting on the metal strut. Same damage to the transom in the same place. It was not as bad as yours because we noticed after about 10 miles. You must have been driving a long time to get that gaping hole on a paved road. Or maybe just fast.

woody with a view - 6-7-2015 at 12:42 PM

the boat came with issues in that area. a little bumping did it in. last checked it at Catavina and all was good.

moral of the story: BE PREPARED!

Paulina - 6-7-2015 at 12:54 PM

Thanks for the report, Woody. Can't wait to get "home" to Bahia. Check your u2u.

P>*)))>{

Ateo - 6-7-2015 at 02:08 PM

I'm sure there's a joke somewhere with that finger and that hole but I for one won't go there!

I need some new lights for my rig!

I gotta try that hotel south of Colonet next time.

Glad you made it out of Mexico alive!

BajaBlanca - 6-7-2015 at 02:29 PM

cool trip and say hi to Bia!

shari - 6-7-2015 at 02:35 PM

glad to see you up to your elbows in fish guts kids on a well deserved vacation...miss ya'll!

woody with a view - 6-7-2015 at 02:42 PM

Thanks, guys. Shari, we'll be in the hood come tuna-time!

BornFisher - 6-7-2015 at 03:05 PM

Bummer about all those yellows getting wrapped.
Great report and pics. Note to Bia--- hurry up and teach Woody how to catch the good fish!!!

4Cata - 6-7-2015 at 03:22 PM

My word to remember is : Me che la da muy picante!