BajaNomad

Mosquitos & standing water fix

Russ - 6-10-2015 at 06:47 AM

Bleach has a lot of uses outside the laundry. It's a bug and weed killer too. But use sparingly because it is a poison. Do a google search for other uses.
My photo bucket isn't working so here's what is needed to keep standing water mosquito free. Only 1 tablespoon per 50 gallons. So you could put some in a sprayer and treat those areas we get after rains.
I'll add the phot discription if I get photobucket to work

[Edited on 6-10-2015 by Russ]

Santiago - 6-10-2015 at 07:22 PM

Ok, so how much in a 1100 liter pila? I bet I put a half cup at least. Ok, maybe that works: 1100/3.75=300+/- gal/50=6 TBS. That's close enough for the girls we go out with.

Bob and Susan - 6-11-2015 at 12:51 PM

no bleach in a pila...its poison...use clorine

mtgoat666 - 6-11-2015 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
no bleach in a pila...its poison...use clorine

actually, chlorine bleach is often used effectively and safely to purify drinking water, just avoid using bleach with dyes or perfume or other additives, and use amounts properly (many online resources tell you how much based on active percentage).

Whale-ista - 6-11-2015 at 09:04 PM

I collect rainwater for plants so can't use bleach. Instead I crush inexpensive vitamin c tablets and add them to water in the containers.

The ascorbic acid also kills mosquito larvae and is nontoxic to plants. Not sure about bird baths though.

Janzie - 6-12-2015 at 01:07 PM

Would a mild bleach solution in a sprayer take care of those mozzy ladies who lurk in our garden?
As long as you keep using (emptying) your rainwater and refreshing your birdbath or other container frequently treatment is not necessary. Mosquito larvae require at least 5 days to develop into the long proboscis stage.

Bajatripper - 6-14-2015 at 03:00 PM

On the same subject:

Stay Mosquito Bite-Free All Summer With This Natural Hack
The Huffington Post | By Jamie Feldman

Whether your propensity to attract mosquitoes is in your genes or not, the pesky bugs are a real summertime buzzkill.

Bug spray and citronella are effective at keeping them away, but according to a video by the San Francisco Globe, there's an even easier, more natural way to get them to leave you alone. Just use a few ingredients typically found in your kitchen.

Using a two-liter bottle, warm water, brown sugar and some yeast, you can make a natural mosquito trap to use just about anywhere.

So get to work, and enjoy a summer free of itchy bites.