BajaNomad

Golden Reef Question

Lobsterman - 6-10-2015 at 08:58 AM

I was not able to go with my buddies on their recent fishing trip to BOLA due to a popup family emergency. We are now scheduling a trip to Puertecitos in early fall. I've never been fishing in this part of Baja except once and that was from the Eric (RIP) about 10 years ago.

We will be going there with two aluminum 18' Bayrunners. Can you reach the Golden Reef from there (on my Bucket List)? I believe its about 15 miles out. or should I bring my long range, ocean-going 22' Cabo instead (300 mile range)? I regularly in season take it out 50 miles or more when the tuna are running here in San Diego. Like now. I ran into a school of thousands of Bluefin just last week in San Diego.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/a-football-field-of...

I want to thank you guys for your replies on their BOLA trip. They were most helpful. They absolutely loved the area, the people, the ease of traveling south, the food, free launch ramps, great hotel (Guillermos), and of course fishing (YT were running then). I'm sorry I could not make it that time but am "biting at the bit" for their next adventure south.
Dennis

jeroberts - 6-11-2015 at 08:50 PM

I would take the Cabo if headed to the golden reef. You will not find the reef if you don't have a guide or GPS waypoints. The 1st time I went we took are guide from the Erik out of San Felipe so that we could mark the spot on our unit many years ago. The area is known for bad weather just look at what happened to the ERIC. We normally take a 21 ft Triumph and we have taken waves over the top of the T-top going and coming to the reef. It can be dead flat but that area is known for lots of wind. I think the wind is what keeps that spot a good fishing spot as the weather keeps many fisherman away. September, October, are great months to fish there as the weather is a little nicer and if lucky you may find some Dorado have ventured north. My father caught Dorado at the reef one year in the month of November. There are grouper at the reef. I have a picture with one in excess of 100lbs. We have been spooled at the reef by large black seabass that just take off when hooked. The yellowtail are hit and miss on the reef. Some days they are up on the surface feeding on sardines and other days you have to yo yo for them. Many people catch pargo at the reef. We never did.

Udo - 6-11-2015 at 08:57 PM

Great report on BLOODY DECKS, Dennis

The fish gods were looking out for you and your family on that trip and you got to witness something that was probably a once in a lifetime event.