BajaNomad

Otay Sentri Lane

Nappo - 6-13-2015 at 10:16 PM

After a great trip to BOLA, dropping off tons of stuff at Penny's Casa de Hogar, fishing awesome, upon returning to Sentri in Otay witnessed something new. Long line, single line, right hand lane used for ped drop offs. At least 5-6 cars sped down then cut into the Sentri line. Wow, the guy behind me was ready to come out and beat the "lady" to a pulp. Anyone experienced this? We were in line 25 minutes which is no big deal, but these aggressive "cutters" are going to cause an incident. Remember the old way across the Tecate border, where you were on the street and cars would zoom up to cut, finally solved by Tecate police at those streets turning them around of giving tickets. If Otay doesn't get a handle on this, there will be an "incident" Seems easy to just station a cop right at the right hand turn, or put some cones up...Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Never saw this in January but think those that cross often have figured out a way to save 10 minutes and cut peeing off people that are following the rules and might just be a little tired after driving many hours. I asked the Customs guy and he said he would take away their Sentri card if he could prove it.....Have to admit, I still love the Sentri lane, but why can't people just chill and follow the rules? Good grief, save 10 minutes!!

DENNIS - 6-14-2015 at 06:48 AM

I can't picture in my mind how they can do this? I thought it was a single line leading to the gate.

Udo - 6-14-2015 at 10:23 AM

Yes Dennis, the is only a single line for the cueing to the booth, but there is enough room on the street for two vehicles...and then some. If someone would cut in front of me, I would get out my car and do some damage.
The cutting business is not cool!

woody with a view - 6-14-2015 at 10:54 AM

but don't you have to allow them the space to get in?

Bruce R Leech - 6-14-2015 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
but don't you have to allow them the space to get in?

Right:lol:

bajaguy - 6-14-2015 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Yes Dennis, the is only a single line for the cueing to the booth, but there is enough room on the street for two vehicles...and then some. If someone would cut in front of me, I would get out my car and do some damage.
The cutting business is not cool!

The "lane" to the right of the SENTRI lane along the covered pedestrian walkway is for buses and it leads to the bus booth on the far right of the SENTRI booths (sometimes it is open for SENTRI with a "US Citizens Only" sign)

You can get upset with those cutting the line all you want but it is still Mexico until you cross that yellow line on the pavement and I have never seen anybody from Mexico enforcing lane cutting at Otay.......

Maderita - 6-14-2015 at 03:28 PM

I cross at Otay Mesa at least 2x per month, on weekends.
Usually just one lane is open, the left lane. Sometimes both lanes are open, beyond a right lane not barricade a few feet from the border (one lane spits into two at the gate. Less frequently, both lanes are open all the way back to the Bellas Artes intsersection at the car wash.

There is no way to visually know for certain, in advance, if the right lane is legitimately open. Please enlighten me if there is!

To compound the problem, when traffic backs up to the intersection, the police in front of the carwash will direct traffic into the right lane. I don't think they actually know or care if the right lane is actually open at the border.

I have been directed to the right lane, only to be turned back 45 minutes later and yards from the gate, by a CBP agent. I learned my lesson, always remaining in the left lane.

Nappo - 6-14-2015 at 09:09 PM

I started this thread, just wondered what other people have experienced. As you know when you make the turn at the car wash there are 3 lanes. Center lane for Sentri. The left lane goes into a shopping mall area. The right lane goes until there is a curve left. Most people can drive down the right hand lane drop off passengers and turn right to get out of the border lanes. The people I saw that cut came down that right lane, took the dog leg to the left and then just watched for a car to just not hook bumper to bumper as they moved forward in the Sentri lane.. These people are pros, they haul ass down the right lane then watch for a small opening and just jut in at a 45 degree angle, leaving the drivers, who are patiently waiting no choice but to let them in. Then the anger starts. It still is just a short wait, but I see a potential for some real explosive issues with some tired Baja guys coming home...

SFandH - 6-15-2015 at 08:57 AM

From what has been said here, it appears there are 3 reasons why this cutting in is happening; jerks trying to save time, people who honestly got into the wrong lane, and sometimes police directing people into the wrong lane.

Cutting in happens to me occasionally in TJ when someone in the lane next to me decides my lane is better and I let 3 feet of space open up between me and the car in front. It has taken a while, but I no longer let it bother me. The way things work in these lines of cars, I'm at fault for letting daylight between my car and the car in front.

[Edited on 6-15-2015 by SFandH]

Udo - 6-16-2015 at 08:59 AM

I think SF and H is right about this one!

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The way things work in these lines of cars, I'm at fault for letting daylight between my car and the car in front.
[Edited on 6-15-2015 by SFandH]