BajaNomad

Is it just me?

pauldavidmena - 6-15-2015 at 03:45 PM

Is it just me, or does this news article reveal a very anti-Mexico bias for suggesting that 2 escaped criminals from an upstate New York prison - less than 30 miles from the Canadian border - "might be in Mexico by now". Granted, I'd prefer Mexico over Canada any day, but the implication is clear - that Mexico is a haven for outlaws and that even without a shred of actual evidence, it is the de facto destination for fugitives from the law.

AKgringo - 6-15-2015 at 03:51 PM

In one news report I saw, the convict that had dismembered his boss had ties to Mexico. He had spent time there before and still (presumably) had contacts there.

Edit; In my mind, I think he would be easier to find in Mexico, or on the way there, than in Canada or any big city in the US.

[Edited on 6-15-2015 by AKgringo]

woody with a view - 6-15-2015 at 04:02 PM

what the guy meant was they could have made it as far as Mexico given its been over a week now.

DENNIS - 6-15-2015 at 04:47 PM

What could possibly be "anti Mexico" about this? Mexico has been a safe-until -caught haven forever.

SFandH - 6-15-2015 at 04:52 PM

Reminds of the saying:

There are two types of Americans in Mexico, the wanted and the unwanted. :D

chuckie - 6-15-2015 at 04:54 PM

I like that!

Bajazly - 6-15-2015 at 05:25 PM

Shhhhhhhh... The more people here that think Mexico is lawless and dangerous, the less people we will see down there. Let them listen to the media, friends and family and stay scared.

Marc - 6-15-2015 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Is it just me, or does this news article reveal a very anti-Mexico bias for suggesting that 2 escaped criminals from an upstate New York prison - less than 30 miles from the Canadian border - "might be in Mexico by now". Granted, I'd prefer Mexico over Canada any day, but the implication is clear - that Mexico is a haven for outlaws and that even without a shred of actual evidence, it is the de facto destination for fugitives from the law.

It's just you.

woody with a view - 6-15-2015 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Shhhhhhhh... Let them listen to the media, friends and family and stay scared.

the proper term is "A-scared"

CJ - 6-15-2015 at 08:15 PM

I may have seen those two in Augie's today....although it was Hora de Feliz....I was on my second one; but I could have sworn it was them....:tumble::tumble:

LaTijereta - 6-16-2015 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CJ  
I may have seen those two in Augie's today....although it was Hora de Feliz....I was on my second one; but I could have sworn it was them....:tumble::tumble:

There you go.. Augies has free "gringo tacos" for happy hour on Mondays.. Who could pass that up when your on the run!
:cool:

BooJumMan - 6-16-2015 at 10:19 AM

The media and masses are assimilating it to the Shawshank Redemption. I'm sure most people are assuming they are in Zihuatanejo right now.

pauldavidmena - 6-16-2015 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  

It's just you.

I knew it!

tiotomasbcs - 6-16-2015 at 01:26 PM

A sunny place for shady people! You guys crack me up! :bounce: Thanks for the laughs! Tio

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2015 at 02:58 PM

it's common here in san diego for true crime stories to include the fugitive fleeing to mexico - often followed by mexico sending the perps back to the usa.

it is also common in true crime stories that successful mexican criminals move their wives and children north to live in the relatively safer usa.

...i dont think many "criminals" have fled north to canada since the vietnam war, eh?