BajaNomad

I'm Out Of Here!

CortezBlue - 6-18-2015 at 05:13 AM

For the summer

Getting ready for Beat The Heat 2015. Leaving Fenix next week and want your best route to SLC from Fenix

For all of my Salt Lake City amigo's, I am coming through Sandy, UT and wanted to get your opinion of the best way to go.

We are hauling a 30 ft. travel trailer and we are visiting some old Fenix friends who now live in Sandy.

Let me know the path of least resistance going through the mountains.

chuckie - 6-18-2015 at 06:32 AM

Like you are gonna take US 89, Dude, most of the way...and get lost a lot with all the wiggles and jiggles...Nice drive tho....about 700 miles...Hit Black Barts in Flag ...great food....singing waiters from the College....RV thingy at the restaurant....Be kool, stay well

chippy - 6-18-2015 at 06:42 AM

I agree with the 89 route. 17 to Flagg 89 to 20 which connects you to 15.
114 today Yikes!

DENNIS - 6-18-2015 at 06:52 AM

Where's SLC?

David K - 6-18-2015 at 06:52 AM

Salt Lake City, Utah

bajabuddha - 6-18-2015 at 06:58 AM

Yup, 89 north through Utah, Salina to Nephi on the way to get to I-15 the rest of the way. Hwy 89-91 is a bucolic 2-laner most of the way, slower than I-15 (only by an hour or 2) but a great drive. However, every little hamlet you drive through (especially with out-of-State plates) will be glad to take your monetary donations for not watching for the ''SPEED RECUCED" signs coming up.

CortezBlue - 6-18-2015 at 07:10 AM

That is what I was planning, but some folks told me to go to vegas and take 15 direct
Seemed way out of the way
Also is there a bunch of uphill from Page to I15?

CortezBlue - 6-18-2015 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I agree with the 89 route. 17 to Flagg 89 to 20 which connects you to 15.
114 today Yikes!

115 today in Fenix

Stay cool my friends

bajabuddha - 6-18-2015 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
That is what I was planning, but some folks told me to go to vegas and take 15 direct
Seemed way out of the way
Also is there a bunch of uphill from Page to I15?

You'll have a bunch up upsy-downsies either road; Utah is not a flat State. If you want freeway convenience head west from Kanab through Colorado City and catch I-15 at Hurricane, just east of St. George. Only a 2,000'+ elevation change there to Cedar City, but you'll have freeway bennies all the way to Salty; about a 5 hour drive from Hurricane to Salty.

[Edited on 6-18-2015 by bajabuddha]

Sweetwater - 6-18-2015 at 07:48 AM

Not that much cooler in the Salt Lake Valley.....destined to hit 100 in the next few days. But the canyons and mountains provide a chance to get cooler. Drive early and let the truck sit during the late afternoon. Find shade and stay hydrated, have a good trip norte'.

chuckie - 6-18-2015 at 08:56 AM

Drink some "bucolic" as Buddha suggested.....Two olives....

BajaUtah - 6-18-2015 at 09:56 AM

The fastest way from Page to SLC is 89 to Kanab then 89 north to 163 west then I15 north. This is via a passenger vehicle. If you are towing you will hit a pretty steep and twisty climb on 89 from Kanab to Hatch and then a steep up and back down on the 163. It's a popular truck route so significant time is spent behind crawling 18 wheelers if you don't have the ability to blast around them in the few passing spots.

If you don't turn off 89 at 163 you will have a long slow 2 lane haul to hit I15 at Nephi. It's a beautiful drive but it is not speedy or easy.

Bajabudda's suggestion of the 399/59 from Kanab to Hurricane then I15 north is a good one as that is pretty flat and hits I15 the fastest.

Honestly the least 2 lane would be the least stressful so I would consider I10 to 95 north to I15 at Vegas. I drove the 95 from Blythe to Vegas last year and it was in good shape and pretty flat. I'll be doing that southbound from SLC to Mexicali next week.

Hook - 6-18-2015 at 11:03 AM

FWIW, Google maps shows the Flagstaff, Page, Kanab, Panguitch, Utah 20 to I-15 as the fastest route. Best of both worlds, a bit of 89 and a fairly quick entry onto I-15. That's the route I would take. There is some climbing out of Kanab on 89 but it is not that bad.

I used to travel the Kanab, Colo City route a lot when I lived in SoCal, but it takes you out of the way too much for a trip to SLC. Google shows that route to be about 45 minutes longer than the above route.

The second quickest, according to Google, is taking US 60/93 through Wickenburg and then 93 on to Vegas. Only about 20 minutes longer than the first route, but probably the least scenic.

Hey, what's the status of that big detour on Indian land south of Page that bypasses Bitter Springs? Did they ever re-open that stretch of 89?

o3dave - 6-18-2015 at 11:47 AM

Eat at Wingers in and around SLC.
Best pollo wings ever

Hwy 89 at Bitter Springs

rainvato - 6-18-2015 at 12:02 PM

According to friends in Page, the landslide has been repaired and 89 from Bitter Springs to Page is now open.....

capt. mike - 6-18-2015 at 12:11 PM

i'm staying thirsty.....my friends.....

Hook - 6-18-2015 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by capt. mike  

Ah....still in Havasu, eh?

How hot is it going to be THERE, today?

CortezBlue - 6-18-2015 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rainvato  
According to friends in Page, the landslide has been repaired and 89 from Bitter Springs to Page is now open.....

oh chit I forgot about that

bajabuddha - 6-18-2015 at 03:43 PM

.........and if you're going to Utah you'll STAY thirsty !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pompano - 6-18-2015 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Ah....still in Havasu, eh?

How hot is it going to be THERE, today?

When I was there for the balloon rally, I bought one of these..

Cliffy - 6-18-2015 at 06:34 PM

Here's the deal I live in Page.
Take 17 north to Flagstaff, go 89 north to Page DO NOT TURN LEFT AT BITTER SPRINGS FOR JACOB LAKE/KANAB. You'll be sorry if you do. (Don't turn at the gas station at "The Gap" 17 miles before Bitter Springs. Its called 89T (temp) It was the bypass before the road was fixed. Some do but just keep going straight up 89 to Page.
Keep going to the right on 89 (only way to go) at Bitter Springs The road has been fixed. No problem. 1 steep grade there but short. Stay on 89 through Page and over the dam and continue to Kanab. Go right at the signal in Kanab up 89 to Nephi as mentioned earlier. The road is good. Its a nice drive. You don't have to fight 90 MPH cars on 15. Going to 15 through Kanab/Colorado City (Morman polygamists) and on to Hurricane/St George is the LONG way around.
Food in Page is Mickey Ds right by the Wally World as you get into Page There are several fast food places there. Once past Mickey Ds there ain;t much but a Dennys then nothing till Kanab (1 hr). Good Mexican food as you get into Kanab on the right side. After that about another hour till you get any more food at gas stations along the way.
Enjoy the drive, I've done it twice this year alone.

CortezBlue - 6-18-2015 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Here's the deal I live in Page.
Take 17 north to Flagstaff, go 89 north to Page DO NOT TURN LEFT AT BITTER SPRINGS FOR JACOB LAKE/KANAB. You'll be sorry if you do. (Don't turn at the gas station at "The Gap" 17 miles before Bitter Springs. Its called 89T (temp) It was the bypass before the road was fixed. Some do but just keep going straight up 89 to Page.
Keep going to the right on 89 (only way to go) at Bitter Springs The road has been fixed. No problem. 1 steep grade there but short. Stay on 89 through Page and over the dam and continue to Kanab. Go right at the signal in Kanab up 89 to Nephi as mentioned earlier. The road is good. Its a nice drive. You don't have to fight 90 MPH cars on 15. Going to 15 through Kanab/Colorado City (Morman polygamists) and on to Hurricane/St George is the LONG way around.
Food in Page is Mickey Ds right by the Wally World as you get into Page There are several fast food places there. Once past Mickey Ds there ain;t much but a Dennys then nothing till Kanab (1 hr). Good Mexican food as you get into Kanab on the right side. After that about another hour till you get any more food at gas stations along the way.
Enjoy the drive, I've done it twice this year alone.

need to camp for the night. i want to get to Kanab
concerned about heat in page. any campgrounds you would suggest

Hook - 6-19-2015 at 07:43 AM

Well, there are RV parks in Kanab and maybe you want to be in a town.

But if it was me, I'd stay at White House campground, a BLM affair that is south off of 89 between Big Water and Kanab. You will have already gained most of the elevation of Kanab, at this point, so it will only be 1-3 degrees warmer than Kanab, if at all. 5.00/night, honor system.

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/paria/coyote_buttes/c...

I dont know how mobile your rig is, or if you are towing but it IS a good dirt road with easy turnaround at the campground. Pretty scenic area, with the Paria River close by. If thunderstorms are threatening, it might not be a good choice, as the road does cross one dry wash.

I'd say you are probably about a half hour shy of Kanab here.

The Mexican restaurant in Kanab the one person is talking about is probably Escobar's and I thought it was very good. On the right side as you enter town, westbound, on 89.

chuckie - 6-19-2015 at 09:14 AM

We go to Kanab for "Western Legends" White house CG and Escobars are both good ideas...Kanab is a neat poke around town....

elgatoloco - 6-19-2015 at 10:10 AM

SLC - Red Iguana for the mo lay. mole. :saint:

BajaUtah - 6-19-2015 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

need to camp for the night. i want to get to Kanab
concerned about heat in page. any campgrounds you would suggest

Honestly I'd head up the hill to Bryce. It'll probably still be snowing when you get there.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/panguitch-lake/r/campgroun...

Here's a nice State campground that will be nice and cool near Panguich. I've pulled off dirt roads off the side of 89 and over-nighted before if you don't want to do a formal camp spot.

Cliffy - 6-19-2015 at 04:18 PM

From Page its 60 miles to Kanab/1 hr. From Paria its @ 35 to 40 mins. You have realistically 1 real hill to pull from House Rock Valley turn off to Paria Townsite on top of the hill after you go through the "first" Paria area.
2 or 3 choices I know of in Kanab to pull into. 2 are inbound into town and 1 is a left turn at the traffic light and 100 yds on the left. It looks to be the best one and always has a large load as its good.
Right now its 102 in Page and 96 in Kanab.
The only real choice in Page is the campground by the lake inside the "park" boundaries called Wahweap Camp Ground. Entrance fee unless you have the USA old folks parks pass. The camp ground is good, lots of spaces to choose from but not really near anything like town just a lake view. You can just pull off to the left side of the hiway on dirt roads to camp for 14 days if you wish. I can tell you where if you need the info. If you want to dry camp by the beach on Lk Powell you can go through Page, over the bridge at the dam and 10 miles later right after the Utah state line is the right turn to Lone Rock Beach. LOTS of folks go there. Lots of boats run back and forth there. You may not get much sleep and be careful, there is soft sand and many get buried up to the axles. Go where the big RVs are not out on your own. Same as Wahweap, entrance fee but free camping on the beach.
The CG in Kanab is only a block or 2 from food. There is a very good Chinese place right near the CG as you walk back toward the traffic signal called Lou's Chinese. Its a hole in the wall "dump" but fantastic food. Right at the signal in Kanab is Nedra's Mexican. Also a good place as is Escobars. Panguitch is another 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from Kanab.
The worst pull you'll have is coming from PHX to Flagstaff. I've done it many times. Its just a pull with a TT.
Trust me, NO SNOW IN BRYCE! :-) and I wouldn't go that way but your choice. Through the canyon there its slow going twisty and turny with LOTS of traffic.