BajaNomad

Power Outage

Osprey - 7-1-2015 at 08:24 AM

Power went out at 4 this morning. It was not just local but regional so when I stumbled around, found a light and went outside I could tell it was complete.

The full moon made it possible for one to walk about safely in the moonlight; the inside of my little Mexican house was like a bat cave so I chose to sit outside hoping for an errant breeze.

No breeze came but the perfect silence was so complete I could hear the Eagle Ray ballet, the flobs and flips of the crazy dance in the dark 700 meters from the house. When they were no longer jumping I could hear my own shallow breathing, a puppy barking for no reason in another part of the village.

After an hour the wondrous albedo of our moon hid all the fury of the distant stars. No generators humming yet --- as usual I felt clumsy in my skin, somehow a stranger moving in the wrong biome, a poor and portable temporary dynamo, useless, out of place.

Some c-cks sensed the still hidden dawn and began to celebrate the security of another day where they would find food by sight in the dirt yards. That woke up the rest of the dogs and soon I could see the headlights of cars taking people to early jobs.

Minutes after another glorious amanecer the power came on and ruined the rest of a very nice change of pace.

Udo - 7-1-2015 at 08:36 AM

You are the only one that can make a power outage sound like something to look forward to.

Thanks, Jorge.

Whale-ista - 7-1-2015 at 12:23 PM

Bravo.

Outages are opportunities to experience the world in ways most people have forgotten. Thank you for the reminder.

grace59 - 7-2-2015 at 06:22 AM

I must say, that is the most beautiful description of a power outage that I've ever heard....almost makes me wish the power would go out here....ALMOST....it's just too hot right now!