BajaNomad

The "Other missing American??

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 05:34 AM

A while ago there was another person missing in the Catavina area? His truck was found etc....BUT did we ever close that one out? Current topic prompted my memory

BajaNomad - 7-2-2015 at 05:45 AM

No - never found.

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 05:46 AM

Dang!

BajaNomad - 7-2-2015 at 05:49 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69117

Hook - 7-2-2015 at 12:31 PM

Wasn't some doctor from Ensenada going to spearhead a virtual search for this poor soul?

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 12:37 PM

Aint goin there.....nosir

AKgringo - 7-2-2015 at 12:38 PM

That thread was already over a hundred pages when I first discovered Baja Nomads! Not exactly the kind of reading that I want to take on, so if anyone has a synopsis in a few paragraphs, maybe this is a good place to post it.

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 12:59 PM

Nah...Best left alone.......Have a cold one....fuggedaboudit

Whale-ista - 7-2-2015 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
That thread was already over a hundred pages when I first discovered Baja Nomads! Not exactly the kind of reading that I want to take on, so if anyone has a synopsis in a few paragraphs, maybe this is a good place to post it.

the man disappeared, after heading south in a vehicle with surfboard etc. Various reports and descriptions were offered by family and others.

Months later, his car was found by a rancher near Catavina after numerous alerts/posters etc. were distributed by Nomads and other travellers. No body was found. The car did not appear to have been burglarized/stolen. Camera and other personal gear was still inside, including (I think) a wallet.

Vehicle was towed to Catavina Police yard, where it sat until family of missing man could retrieve it. They drove down from SoCal area.

No remains have ever been found, I believe his disappearance remains unsolved.

As another person goes missing, thoughts and prayers to those who are searching for loved ones in Baja.

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by Whale-ista]

Hook - 7-2-2015 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Aint goin there.....nosir

Man, I cant get a bite, on land or in the sea, this year.

Quote!

AKgringo - 7-2-2015 at 02:26 PM

"Here's a little tip I would like to relate, if you want to catch fish you gotta use good bait!"

Taj Majhal (sp?)

David K - 7-2-2015 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

... the man disappeared, after heading south in a 4WD vehicle with surfboard etc. .

Not that it matters much now, but it was a 2WD... Had it been a 4WD, the outcome may have been totally different.

D.K.

captkw - 7-2-2015 at 06:04 PM

Hola,, That's a Strreeettccchh !! I Agree, most cant drive 4 or 2 by..but wasn't the truck/suv fine and in a good road area ?? Hope someday for his family and nomads we find out what happened to Doug..

David K - 7-2-2015 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Hola,, That's a Strreeettccchh !! I Agree, most cant drive 4 or 2 by..but wasn't the truck/suv fine and in a good road area ?? Hope someday for his family and nomads we find out what happened to Doug..

Most seem unaware to let air out of their tires to get unstuck, too!

His 4Runner was not on the road, but up a ravine, or narrow gulch, just off the side two track road which was off the graded Punta Canoas road.

If I was to guess, he just parked out of the way to camp, and got stuck.

DK

captkw - 7-2-2015 at 06:50 PM

Agree about airdown..and most don't think about beer,water,pee,salt water,soda, in sand or Palvo...BTW, they where gonna pull the serria juniper guy from the capitol,and at the last min. decided to let it stay for a pope's visit..then change with a known space hero !! Myself have found a few strip's of old carpet to help sometimes...The main trick is not to stop and get stuck in the first place !! and you can say to anyone,,,,you ,have NOT been in Baja till you have been sorta stuck at least ONCE !!! K&T

BajaBreak - 7-2-2015 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Most seem unaware to let air out of their tires to get unstuck, too!

If I was to guess, he just parked out of the way to camp, and got stuck.

I had gotten myself thoroughly stuck in an open diff (yes I use the pkg brk trick) 2wd suv with a moto on a hitch rack, a few miles north of Punta Bufeo, and after removing the bike+rack & airing down, was still having some trouble after jacking the truck up, putting wood down, etc. Some folks from the nearby houses came over and mentioned wetting the sand down, and sure enough it gave me enough run to get up on top of the sand and back to the main road.

Not that you want to go dumping your water in the desert, but it can sure help in sand :)

The kid that came by said, 'that's baja'!

[Edited on 7-3-2015 by BajaBreak]

DENNIS - 7-2-2015 at 07:21 PM

Jeeeezo....not again....please.

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 07:29 PM

SORRY Dint mean to start this all over again...Shoulda know DK would jump in with his repititions (sp) of common platitudes.....

chuckie - 7-2-2015 at 07:36 PM

STOP ALREADY

AKgringo - 7-2-2015 at 07:41 PM

Well I did request a brief overview of a thread that was out of control before I knew this site existed. Whale-ista provided one (thank you very much!) so I think we are done here!

Santiago - 7-3-2015 at 05:56 AM

"Here's a little tip I would like to relate, if you want to catch fish you gotta use good bait!"

Taj Majhal (sp?)

Watch the master here.