BajaNomad

LA BAY trip report

barcodemarco - 7-6-2015 at 08:00 PM

Just returned from a week long adventure to LA Bay with my brother. My first time back in 15 years. Drove a F-350 with a truck camper and car-topped a Hobie Tri-maran. The setup worked out great.

The road is in good shape. As some have reported, there is a pot-holed section around Catavinia but most holes are shallow. I didn't see any tire-eaters that you would have to avoid.

Weather was mostly good. Cooler and more humid than I anticipated - mostly thanks to some fairly consistent cloud cover and lack of west wind. We did have a good chubasco one night. The lightning show started over Smith and quickly moved west. Went from flat calm to 40-50 mph blow in 1 hr.

Fishing from the Hobie was a blast. We fished the north end of Smith and managed to get one yt per day among the many large bonito. Two YTs were in the 30#s. Did a couple light-tackle excursions and were catching bass on just about every cast. Saw fin-back whales and many Manta rays doing acrobatics. Such an awesome place. Can't wait to go back.

On the way back up north we noticed that the farming and greenhouses around San Quitin seem to be exploding. Wonder how the infrastructure will be able to support such large scale operations.

woody with a view - 7-7-2015 at 04:56 AM

pics or it didn't happen! :biggrin:

Not a trip report when there are no photos!

maryellen50 - 7-7-2015 at 09:52 AM

barcodemarco - 7-7-2015 at 01:47 PM

You guys are gonna make me work! :O

Gimme a couple days and I'll post pics

Udo - 7-7-2015 at 01:48 PM

Gorgeous photos, buddy!

Udo - 7-7-2015 at 01:54 PM

I think your instructions, DK, work on PCs.

Photo bucket did something to change how photos get uploaded from a Mac.
In my instance, I have to bring up my album from the photo icon on my dock. Then I have to INDIVIDUALLY click on a photo and then drag it to my desktop (the background screen). From there, I have to individually drag my photos to a Photobucket album I just named. Quite an ordeal.

David K - 7-8-2015 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I think your instructions, DK, work on PCs.

Photo bucket did something to change how photos get uploaded from a Mac.
In my instance, I have to bring up my album from the photo icon on my dock. Then I have to INDIVIDUALLY click on a photo and then drag it to my desktop (the background screen). From there, I have to individually drag my photos to a Photobucket album I just named. Quite an ordeal.

Yes Udo, I am on a PC... as are most everyone I know here... If there are easy Mac instructions, I welcome someone to post them. Perhaps contact Photobucket for easy Mac set up and pre-sizing to fit Nomad's width limit of 800 pixels (that even a couple of PC users here still haven't done). Thank you for the note on Mac!

David K - 7-8-2015 at 08:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by barcodemarco  
You guys are gonna make me work! :O

Gimme a couple days and I'll post pics

A few of us here are happy to help newbies and not chase them off! If you want, I can post photos for you if you have any problems, or we can talk you through the steps! You can email me at: info (AT) vivabaja.com or use the u2u message service here on Nomad. Welcome aboard!

55steve - 7-8-2015 at 10:00 AM

I post my pics in massive format just to get David's attention! I actually forgot to reset the size in Photobucket - it used to be automatic but it seems like it lost my preferences....

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by 55steve]

David K - 7-8-2015 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
I post my pics in massive format just to get David's attention! I actually forgot to reset the size in Photobucket - it used to be automatic but it seems like it lost my preferences....

[Edited on 7-8-2015 by 55steve]

Help is always available! :light:

rts551 - 7-8-2015 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by maryellen50  
Not a trip report when there are no photos!

The Nomad attachment might work easy enough, but if any are over 250kb, they won't post.

Here is a method used by many on Nomad:

There are many photo hosting sites, Photobucket.com is one used by many here, it is free for basic membership and very cheap for advanced.

1) Create an album for your trip or subject on Photobucket.

2) Click Upload (top center) to transfer photos from your PC folder to your Photobucket album.

3) Click on the gear symbol on the right corner of the box you see on the screen...

4) Select 800 (full size) or 640 (large size) for Nomad posting...

100x75 is the Avatar size, fyi.

5) Click SAVE!

6) Select photos you want to share on Nomad (or other forums) by pressing the Choose Photos & Videos button (or for the entire folder of photos, click Choose Folder).

Once done with uploading photos, make your post here on Baja Nomad and add photos using the IMG link from the choices of links for each photo in your album. Copy and paste that link in your Nomad thread, double spacing between links. Add a caption to the photo if desired... Click Preview Post to check your post... if okay, click Post Reply.

[Edited on 7-7-2015 by David K]

don't worry 55Steve, as you can see in DK's pictures Photobucket does recommend the standard for most people, 1024x768.

David K - 7-9-2015 at 08:01 AM

Baja Nomad has a screen width of 800 pixels, not 1024.

If you do not reset the upload size to fit Nomad's width, then your photos and any text on the page in all posts will stretch OFF the screen on standard monitors.

This simple setting when you join Photobucket or other photo hosting sites will accommodate:
Doug's/ BajaNomad's request,
provide all with comfortable viewing without scrolling to the side or reducing the screen size too tiny,
and the photos are as big as the Nomad page, so no detail is lost.

In fact, one more size smaller (640 pixels) is a large size photo size for forums, but 800 is the max here (and other Internet forums that do not have auto sizing).

Bob53 - 7-9-2015 at 02:43 PM

So are we ever going to get to see these photos or did I miss something???

woody with a view - 7-9-2015 at 02:45 PM

like I said, "Pics or it didn't happen"!!!

barcodemarco - 7-12-2015 at 08:02 PM

Not sure if I did this right but here goes. A couple of test photos....

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/barcodemarco/library/

basautter - 7-12-2015 at 08:19 PM

Thanks for the trip report! Looking forward to the pics :bounce:

David K - 7-12-2015 at 08:37 PM

Not sure if I did this right but here goes. A couple of test photos....

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/barcodemarco/library/

Nice, the ones that are at 800 pixels, you can paste right here using the IMG link (links are under the photo thumbnails).

Here are the two from your album... Thank you!

barcodemarco - 7-12-2015 at 09:13 PM

Cool. Thanks David. One question: If I can paste them right into the reply, why do I need to upload to photo bucket first. Does that compress the image?

David K - 7-13-2015 at 01:01 PM

Cool. Thanks David. One question: If I can paste them right into the reply, why do I need to upload to photo bucket first. Does that compress the image?

Well, paste them from where? The photos need to come from somewhere, and usually the photos in your folder on your PC are too big (Nomad has a 250kb file size limit). When they are already online elsewhere (Photobucket for example), there is no file size restriction since you are not using 'Nomad space' to keep the photos. The only deal if you link photos here from Photobucket or elsewhere, is to please size them to 800 pixels or less, so the whole page won't distort wide.

If your photos on your PC are not over 250 kb, then no need for Photobucket.