BajaNomad

Shipwrecked and marooned on Angel de la Guardia, 1967

Hook - 7-8-2015 at 10:36 AM

I just stumbled on this, as one often does, when plugging in words into Google. I was searching for coordinates for Ensenada Los Machos, aka, Humbug Bay on Angel de la Guardia.

It is about a group from Scripps that was shipwrecked for a time in the late 60s, when Papa Diaz was around and Munoz was still flying.

http://corry.ws/CorryBook-50.htm#pgfId-999642

David K - 7-8-2015 at 10:42 AM

Thanks a bunch... looks like fun reading!
Graham was at Humbug Bay when he was out there 'Marooned With Very Little Beer"

BajaBlanca - 7-8-2015 at 12:22 PM

what an AMAZING blog......what an amazing story of survival!

chuckie - 7-8-2015 at 12:44 PM

Thanks....

Hook - 7-9-2015 at 05:26 AM

Still amazed that a hand held CB radio would create a signal that could skip to Montana. How fortunate was that?

Loved the line "...... having taken my sensitivity training with Marine Corp infantry (1 st Marines)."

El Jefe - 7-9-2015 at 08:05 AM

Very entertaining read. Thanks for posting.

Mexitron - 7-9-2015 at 10:49 AM

Beautiful. Nice find!

BornFisher - 7-10-2015 at 07:23 AM

Geeeze, what a venture, who would have thought?? Great read, thanks,

Graham - 7-10-2015 at 01:49 PM

Fascinating story... thanks for posting.

Really enjoyed camping alone on Guardian Angel Island for a further 6 weeks Feb/Mar 2013.

Hiking to the top of Los Machos and kayaking beneath it were two of my favorite activities... too beautiful.

Skipjack Joe - 7-10-2015 at 02:19 PM

Fascinating story.

Whale-ista - 7-10-2015 at 04:17 PM

thanks for the great photos Graham.
I've shared the story with some friends who do research at Scripps.

It reminded me of a binational research team- combined Scripps/CICESE fisheries project- who set up an underwater collection device offshore from Guaymas about 25 years ago. It was left in place for months at a time, and periodically "turned around" via ship: researchers collected the sediments, fish scales, water samples, etc. that it contained, and returned it to its underwater position for a long term research project.

Unfortunately, a year or two after it was set up, it stopped responding to radio signals from the research vessels (RV). When we went out to collect data, we could detect no "ping" in response to calls from the ship, and the anchor cable on its mooring never released, allowing it to return to the surface for retrieval via CO2 canisters inflating a balloon, to take it up.

After trying for a few days, motoring around the area, we had to give up and return to Guaymas. It was an expensive piece of equipment to leave sitting underwater in the Sea of Cortez. I don't think it's ever beenn recovered.

Maybe some fishing crew hooked it, and took it back to port as a souvenir.

Santiago - 7-11-2015 at 05:33 AM

Thanks for posting this Hook, loved it.