BajaNomad

"Shark's Week" From Baja

Pompano - 7-11-2015 at 05:33 PM

I've fed a few over the years...;)

Sea of Cortez 1972

Sea of Cortez 2010

[Edited on 7-12-2015 by Pompano]

AKgringo - 7-11-2015 at 05:53 PM

On a late afternoon in April of 2113, I found a nice campsite on a rock pile just north of the Cabo Pulmo Marine preserve. I looked at the rocky point and thought 'This will be some great snorkeling in the morning!'.

At first light, I was wakened by a couple of gringos passing my camp to fish off the rocks. I got up, followed them down to the water, and noticed they had two poles each. With the light weight spinning rod they caught bait, then put the bait on a heavy surf casting rod.

Before fisherman number two could even catch bait, fisherman number one had a heavy fish that was on a run that would probably have spooled him. Before he ran out of line, the water ezploded about a hundred yards out, and he was able to reel the fish in...what was left of it!

It was a rooster fish that would have gone about 6o pounds except that it was missing everything from just behind the dorsal fin. He was filming the whole thing with a head mounted Go Pro, but I could never find the posting.

Oh, by the way, I did not get in the water there for some reason!

Ken Bondy - 7-12-2015 at 11:57 AM

Here's my contribution to Shark Week. We think it was a thresher, there were lots of them jumping that day:

surfhat - 7-12-2015 at 01:17 PM

At least you could make some flavored soup with what he left you with.

Pompano - 7-12-2015 at 01:31 PM

This is a small blue shark and a decent jack crevalle that I caught for some dinners in Coyote Bay (Santa Barbara Cove) in 1974. Of course, back then the bay was full of sharks and rays...and everything that swims. This cove was a hotspot for blue shark and jack crevalle.

Much later and outside the bay, this one comes alongside my fishing boat to inspect my dancing jig. It had followed to the surface a pinto that was hooked at 240ft. Not a great time to go for a dip. ;)