BajaNomad

More mango mania

Osprey - 7-12-2015 at 12:20 PM

We've only had one little storm so far down my way and I thought it was enough to ruin our mango summer. It did drop a zillion green ones but the trees struck back and produced more and bigger ones than I thought was possible. My little tree is just now dropping the last of the small ones at about 15 a day.

Thanks to some caring neighbors and friends I get to enjoy the rest of the season having my breakfast each day with one of these huge Kents. My tree gives me the one on the right and watch is for scale. Nothing sweeter or finer down here.

More mango mania.jpg - 96kB

David K - 7-12-2015 at 12:20 PM

Those are beautiful!! YUM!!

woody with a view - 7-12-2015 at 12:29 PM

damn! i remove 1/2 to 2/3 of my peaches when they're thumbnail size so the trees can put their energy into making a few HUGE ones. try it on your trees!

pauldavidmena - 7-12-2015 at 12:38 PM

That watch looks delicious!

Osprey - 7-12-2015 at 01:24 PM

Pablo, just making a statement here. "No one steals my fine mangos. Not on my watch."

pauldavidmena - 7-12-2015 at 01:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
Pablo, just making a statement here. "No one steals my fine mangos. Not on my watch."

Not on, under, or near your watch, for that matter.

treuboff - 7-12-2015 at 03:06 PM

You gotta thin out the fruit to get better quality

Paulina - 7-12-2015 at 05:42 PM

Mangos are my all time favorite fruit. I love to slice them up, freeze them, and have them on hand for a special treat during the hot summer in Bahia.
Three weeks ago we didn't see any road side stands set up on our way down, but last week on our way up we lucked out in San Quintin. 2kilos $25p. We bought 8k. In Maneadero I saw a stand offering 3k $25p.
When I head back down next week I plan to stock up.

P>*)))>{

Skipjack Joe - 7-12-2015 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
damn! i remove 1/2 to 2/3 of my peaches when they're thumbnail size so the trees can put their energy into making a few HUGE ones. try it on your trees!

Works for women too.

Actually,I don't get that myself.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 7-12-2015 at 07:18 PM

Hola,

just a thought...going south at guerrero negro, don't they confiscate SOME fruits and vegetables ?

at the times i crossed, when they came out ( and if they come out ) they would just ask if i had any. i've never been checked.

it also must just be a baja sur thing as i've never been approached going north.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Anyone ever try this technique ...

durrelllrobert - 7-13-2015 at 10:47 AM

for cutting up a mango?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHmPVZPECZU

bajajudy - 7-13-2015 at 10:56 AM

We got NONE this year. Thanks to Odile

rhintransit - 7-13-2015 at 12:43 PM

anyone know if they make dried mangos in Mexico, with all the fruit around? a Mexican acquaintance asked me to bring some back from the states (Costco/Trader Joe's, etc) for him saying they don't make any in Mexico. ????

David K - 7-13-2015 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
anyone know if they make dried mangos in Mexico, with all the fruit around? a Mexican acquaintance asked me to bring some back from the states (Costco/Trader Joe's, etc) for him saying they don't make any in Mexico. ????

SAN BARTOLO in July...

The mango center of Baja!

BajaBlanca - 7-13-2015 at 02:11 PM

Osprey - can you send some of those mangoes over to us here in Europe please????

pretty please?????

they look so delicious!

vandenberg - 7-13-2015 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  

I don't know about Mexico, but we make our own. Get tons of mangoes from my neighbor's tree. Peel them, freeze them, dry them, put them up, and from the real ripe ones we make popsicles, using little paper drink cups, inserting a small stick. Still have some from last year.

4Cata - 7-14-2015 at 12:14 AM

Do you dip the mangos in a lemon juice or ascorbic acid before you dry them? How long does it take to dry? They look wonderful and would be much better for you without that sugar coating in the US bags at Costco.

vandenberg - 7-14-2015 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4Cata  
Do you dip the mangos in a lemon juice or ascorbic acid before you dry them? How long does it take to dry? They look wonderful and would be much better for you without that sugar coating in the US bags at Costco.

No need to do anything to them but put them in a dryer or dry them naturally. They maintain their natural color. About 24 hrs in a dryer and a long time natural with the problem of keeping insects away.

[Edited on 7-14-2015 by vandenberg]

grace59 - 7-15-2015 at 08:36 AM

How to cut a Mango according to Alton Brown.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEN2t3tPhk

David K - 7-15-2015 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by grace59  

Funny!!! Thanks, I will try that way next time!

durrelllrobert - 7-15-2015 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by grace59  

Funny!!! Thanks, I will try that way next time!

I still think this way is safer (unless you're a vampire and afraid of getting a stake in your heart)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHmPVZPECZU

Udo - 7-15-2015 at 12:35 PM

Actually...

Thin out the flowers at the start of the growing season.

BTW, Jorge:
I still have not forgotten that KENT you took off the tree and properly sliced it for Jana and me to savor.

It was an unforgettable experience.

Quote: Originally posted by treuboff  
You gotta thin out the fruit to get better quality