BajaNomad

Re-powering with a Subaru 2.5 liter

AKgringo - 7-18-2015 at 03:42 PM

I know that some off-roaders have used the Subaru engine in their formerly VW powered racers, but is it a reasonable swap to try to put one in a Samui, Tracker, or Sportage type 4x4?

I know there would be issues in figuring out some sort of engine mounts, adapters for the transmission etc, and getting the electronics to match up,but is it a practical swap?

I would need to hire a better mechanic than I am to take the lead, and it does not have to pass smog.

Bob and Susan - 7-18-2015 at 03:58 PM

why re-invent the wheel?
they make a kit

http://www.suzukiconversion.com/suzuki_v8.htm

go dog go

AKgringo - 7-18-2015 at 04:35 PM

Thanks B & S, I found that site, but I have not heard back from them about a Subaru conversion. I want that little flat four cylinder, not a v-6 or v-8.

chuckie - 7-18-2015 at 04:39 PM

I am sure someone makes a kit for a Samurai...I have seen a Boxer four in one....We had some paper work on it, I think, when we were converting to VW Diesel...I'll check .....

Bob and Susan - 7-18-2015 at 07:34 PM

if anyone can assist these are the people...
they have assisted me in the past

http://www.petroworks.com/

they are in fallbrook caiifornia

willyAirstream - 7-20-2015 at 06:58 AM

Subieworks.com or subieworks on FB, they build high performance engines for offroad and rallies and carry all the conversion stuff.

su's

captkw - 7-20-2015 at 09:48 AM

Also Ck out ...rally-tech.com for goodies and kits

Anything is possible

durrelllrobert - 7-20-2015 at 10:05 AM

Back in the 60s I changed the 50? hp engine in a VW Karmen Ghia to a 100 hp Corvair. Since the rotation was 180 different I also had to find a 6v starter that turned the right way and fit onto the Corvair. The biggest problem was that it had only 1 speed forward and 3 in reverse until I figured out haw to change the ring gear and pinion.

AKgringo - 7-20-2015 at 10:22 AM

I appreciate the leads provided, thanks B&S, chuckie, willie, capt!

I can find lots about Subie engines (which is one reason I like them) and I find plenty about re-powering Samuri/Tracker 4x4s, but have struck out so far on a union of the two.

I already have a Sportage which uses a Mazda designed engine and transmission, but there are plenty of Zukes around if that swap works better.

chuckie - 7-20-2015 at 10:24 AM

Bob< (laughing) I think we all did that! We Corvaired a VW bus, and had great fun getting 80 MPH runs in reverse....We were gonna leave that way but we ran out of beer.....Our engine was a 180HP Supercharged Corvair....Block long wheelies in the Bus...so cool...

AKgringo - 7-20-2015 at 10:33 AM

In 1970, I did the same thing with a dune buggy when I swapped the standard trans axle with one from a bus to get lower gears and more clearance. One gear forward, four in reverse!

Even after I turned the ring gear to the correct side, the performance wasn't an improvement.