BajaNomad

July 24 is Tequila Day

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2015 at 03:36 PM

In celebration everyone must watch the pee wee herman Tequila dance. Google it up on youtube!

[Edited on 7-26-2015 by mtgoat666]

Udo - 7-24-2015 at 03:42 PM

I have my bottle of 1942 ready to go!

BornFisher - 7-24-2015 at 03:44 PM

Do we have to wait for June?

bajabuddha - 7-24-2015 at 03:51 PM

EVERY DAY is Tequila day....... somewhere.... :coolup:

Udo - 7-24-2015 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Do we have to wait for July?

bledito - 7-24-2015 at 04:17 PM

missed it if it's June 24

Russ - 7-24-2015 at 06:17 PM

Check it out!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/18-best-tequilas-money-buy-190...

blackwolfmt - 7-24-2015 at 06:48 PM

I Am working on a bottle of Sauza blanco as I type

durrelllrobert - 7-25-2015 at 09:42 AM

For the true aficionados:

bajabuddha - 7-25-2015 at 09:46 AM

Roberto, that Tequila looks like the type you enjoy twice. :o

bajagrouper - 7-25-2015 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
In celebration everyone must watch the pee wee herman Tequila dance. Google it up on youtube!

Do you mean JULY 24th.?

Bajahowodd - 7-25-2015 at 04:59 PM

Was it John Paul Mitchell that started this? He's a Greek/ Italian guy name John Paul De Joria, who made so much money on his beauty products, he could afford to buy a tequila manufacturer. So, he owns Patron.

SFandH - 7-25-2015 at 05:16 PM

I went to Tequila, Jalisco once, sampled, looked around. I was surprised to learn that all tequilas are naturally white. Colors are added, a marketing gimmick I think. But I could be wrong, the "sampling" distorts my memory a bit. The blue agave fields along the highway from Guadalajara are pretty to see.

Tequila, Jalisco

bajagrouper - 7-25-2015 at 11:22 PM

I believe it is the oak barrels that give it its color by aging...
Tequila Mixto( 51% Agave) like Cuervo Gold is colored with cane sugar alcohol.

durrelllrobert - 7-26-2015 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  

I went to Sauaza's factory in Tequilla and watched the whole process from roasting the roots and pressing them through fermenting/ aging and botteling. What amazed me was that Sauaza takes two pressings from the roots; the first to be used for their Anejo, and the second for their Reposado. After that they sell what's left of the root to Cuervo who then takes one or more pressings.

durrelllrobert - 7-26-2015 at 03:37 PM

Sometimes called tequila joven. Tequila Gold is a Blanco that has not been allowed to mature so it has not developed the distinct coloring that comes with ageing. So, to get the golden color, just prior to bottling colorings and flavorings are added in the form of caramel, oak tree extracts, glycerin, or sugar syrup.

[url=www.liquorista.com/best-tequila/
]www.liquorista.com/best-tequila/
[/url]

Bajahowodd - 7-26-2015 at 04:49 PM

That is correct to a point. All tequila is claro to begin with. The dark color comes from the oak barrels in which they are aged. The longer the aging, the darker the tequila.

I never heard of cane sugar being added to Cuervo. Do you have a source?

bajagrouper - 7-26-2015 at 06:59 PM

I said cane sugar alcohol is added to the mixed varieties like Cuervo Gold to bring up the alcohol content...
Pure 100% Weber Blue Agave is just that,
Mixto = 51% Weber Blue Agave + 49% sugar cane alcohol.

By the way Robert, the root is not used to make Tequila, when a plant is stripped of it leaves by the Jimador what is left is what is called the Piña because it looks like a giant pineapple or in Spanish piña.That is the part that is roasted...

elgatoloco - 7-27-2015 at 12:03 AM

Tonight for a digestif we enjoyed some Reserva De La Famila. It's real smooth sipping makes it a perennial favorite at our Casa and the only Cuervo product allowed around here. :smug:

Saturday night we broke seal on a bottle of 1942 due to my bro in law killing the last of the other bottle Friday. When I first met him he couldn't give two winks about tequila, now he's a fiend. Like me. :biggrin:

Luckily he has yet to acquire a taste for mescal. Hoping to keep,it that way. :saint:

Bajahowodd - 7-30-2015 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Tonight for a digestif we enjoyed some Reserva De La Famila. It's real smooth sipping makes it a perennial favorite at our Casa and the only Cuervo product allowed around here. :smug:

Saturday night we broke seal on a bottle of 1942 due to my bro in law killing the last of the other bottle Friday. When I first met him he couldn't give two winks about tequila, now he's a fiend. Like me. :biggrin:

Luckily he has yet to acquire a taste for mescal. Hoping to keep,it that way. :saint:

Mescal es muy mal.

Sweetwater - 7-30-2015 at 05:19 PM

In Utah, July 24th is Pioneer Day for the Mormons.....NO tequila allowed for those teetotalers.

The gentiles have begun to celebrate with Pie'and'Beer day.....perhaps tequila is allowed.

Mescal es bueno....does anyone else know about Sotol?

Very delicate and very good......

Quote:

Agave based spirits have been gaining in popularity over the years, it seems like every movie star has their own line of tequila on the market. Let’s take a closer look at one of the lesser known agave based spirits, Sotol aka the “Desert Spoon.”

elgatoloco - 7-30-2015 at 11:05 PM

I have a bottle of Sotol that was gifted to me. It is indeed very good.

Desert spoon. Did not know that. Thanks.

Mal mezcal es muy mal. Bueno mezcal es muy bueno! :saint:

We had a bag of grapefruit then we got another bag of grapefruit. What to do?

Paloma!

Squeeze fruit, add ice and some Ilegal Mezcal Joven! Muy refreshing. :biggrin:

I recently acquired a new to me mescal for sipping - Fidencio Pechuga. I'm really enjoying it. Interesting process they use for distilling. Check it out.
:dudette:

IMG_4093.JPG - 131kB