BajaNomad

Squid In Sta Rosalia?

ilikepargo - 7-27-2015 at 10:37 PM

Last year at this time, the Sta Rosalia squid fleet was doing pretty well on smaller but abundant squid. The two years prior to that, there weren't any squid at all.

Two weeks from now I'll be on my way down Mex 1, hoping to slide through the Sta Rosalia area in the predawn hours. I'd love to be able to pop out to the marina and grab some squid to use as bait.

Does anyone know if they're getting squid there this year?

Thanks!!!

Pescador - 7-28-2015 at 06:40 AM

None at all.

Bob and Susan - 7-28-2015 at 07:31 AM

so that's NOT the bait you want...

you want the stuff the fish are actually eating...

sometimes squid is not a good bait...

shari - 7-28-2015 at 07:39 AM

We just had a couple of grad students from Stanford here visiting us who are studying squid in Sta.Rosalia and they explained about the squid cycles and mentioned that when food is scarce for the squid they dont grow themselves...they kind of stunt their own growth to conserve energy...or something like that. They werent even sure where the squid are now but the squid that are around are half the size they usually are.

I wonder if they will show up over here on the pacside?

ilikepargo - 7-28-2015 at 09:38 AM

@ shari: There's been a Southern CA population for 20 years or more. But the Sta Rosalia population - one that was stable for a very long time - vanished a few years back. Then they were around again. Then they weren't. Etc. Last year, after a two year absence, they were back and the Sta Rosalia marina was filled with life, people, music, and happiness as the pangueros brought them in. That was at 3:00 AM (or so) when I was there. The squid were only 2-3 feet long, but there were plenty of them.

Sad to hear from Pescador that they aren't there this year.

shari - 7-28-2015 at 09:51 AM

when they vanished from Cachania..they showed up here on the pacside washing up on the beaches and the boats came over here...the student said they have a 2 year cycle too. Life is good in Sta.Rosalia when the squid are abundant.

larryC - 7-28-2015 at 10:09 AM

The squid also showed up in BoLA for a year or 2 and have now gone away.

woody with a view - 7-28-2015 at 12:33 PM

we saw them all over Bola 2 June's ago. 15" models washed up on the beach and in the deep.

Tomas Tierra - 7-28-2015 at 12:40 PM

As far as hook and line fishing goes?? You're better off not seeing humboldt squids.. They eat EVERYTHING,

TT

ilikepargo - 7-28-2015 at 12:42 PM

We'll swing through the Sta Rosalia marina for a look either way. That doesn't delay the trip for more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Assuming the squid aren't there, does anyone know where we might make mackerel in the immediate area of Pta Pulpito/Pta San Antonio?

BTW - Thanks for all the help.

[Edited on 7-28-2015 by ilikepargo]

bajabuddha - 7-28-2015 at 12:58 PM

Here's a hint for where you might buy frozen squid; there's a large grocery store in Santa Rosalia, it's about 2-3 streets farther in from the banks, and one street south (left)... has a purple door/front..... on the left-hand wall as you enter is a big bank of freezers, and you might be able to buy frozen squid that has been brought in from the west coast. Can't promise, but it's a possibility. If you're hauling a boat and/or trailer the parking in town will be a biatch.

Wherever you intend to fish, i'd think about just bringing some bait-streamers, and talk to the locals of where to hook up fresh bait; probably better for catching anyway. Let us know how you fare.

ilikepargo - 7-28-2015 at 02:57 PM

Our limitations are that we'll be camping on a beach with a long drive to any town. That, and we'll be in a little inflatable boat with only 25 horses to push us around.

We do a fair amount of Kelly/Kira-style trolling, local Dorado trolling, etc. But we also like to park over structure and fish bait.

We will be brining some stuff with us (squid & shrimp), but local and fresher is always better. Sometimes there've been sardina or other baitfish over the beach in front of camp, but that's hit or miss. So I figure that every bit of helpful knowledge is good.

Pescador - 7-29-2015 at 08:04 AM

Okay, here is what the experts are saying. The squid follow the food chain where they eat. When you have warm water like we are having this year, the squid simply move north in the area of the midriff islands where there is cooler water, much more upwelling, and an abundance of food. They eat a lot of food and in the warmer water there is not much for them to eat. The last time we had a cycle like this, it was about two years before they really showed up in any number. So the Greater Humboldt Squid that we have in this area did not migrate around the Cabos and then head north on the Pacific side, the experts say it is a different group. The last cycle, they did show up well from Bocana north and the fishing was unbelievable in Guererro all the way to El Rosario.

woody with a view - 7-29-2015 at 10:26 AM

Central coast on the west side. They don't get any fresher than when you are draining the ink out of them.