BajaNomad

Toyota vs Chevy - Chevy won!

sd - 7-29-2015 at 02:59 PM

Very happy with my 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. However, at about 10MPH traveling the 15 freeway in a construction zone, misting rain, I attempted to merge right and caught the bumper of the 1991 Chevy Tahoe in front of me.

Chevy had a dented bumper, that's ALL! Toyota crumpled as designed I guess, dented hood, driver side left fender, door damaged a bit, front grill fell apart and looked like plastic milk crate pieces. Hood could not be opened.

Good news is no one was hurt. I called the guy I hit later, he said Chevy Rules!

Chevy repair - fix dented bumper

Toyota repair bill - $8,400!! Insured of course.

chuckie - 7-29-2015 at 03:24 PM

That should surprise no one....

David K - 7-29-2015 at 03:35 PM

Right, no surprise how safe Toyota passengers when driver is going warp speed! Glad you guys are unhurt... Oh, what a feeling!

4x4abc - 7-29-2015 at 03:56 PM

the more energy is absorbed in a crash (lotsa damage) - the safer it is for the passengers. Toyota rules. Space age. Chevy is just an upgraded stage coach.

cabo-ash - 7-29-2015 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
the more energy is absorbed in a crash (lotsa damage) - the safer it is for the passengers. Toyota rules. Space age. Chevy is just an upgraded stage coach.

You will never beat the laws of physics - anytime something lighter hits (or is hit) by a heavier vehicle it (and anyone in it) will come off worse.

If you hit anything the same size then space age crumple zones will help, otherwise....

We also found that for every 1,000-pound increase in weight, vehicles were 19 percent safer.

[Edited on 7-29-2015 by cabo-ash]

woody with a view - 7-29-2015 at 04:37 PM

10 mph = warp speed?

jeez....

chuckie - 7-29-2015 at 05:21 PM

Well, ...in a TOYota, pretty much is.......

David K - 7-29-2015 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
10 mph = warp speed?

jeez....

LOL, when I first read the post, I saw it as 100 mph! Did it get edited or am I still recovering from my Baja trip?

BooJumMan - 7-29-2015 at 07:39 PM

Meh. Being a shadetree mechanic, I prefer Toyotas. But its personal opinion. Way easier to work on than Chevy's too.

chuckie - 7-30-2015 at 12:32 AM

And, they generally need to be worked on more than the Chevrolets, so that's a good thing....

sd - 7-30-2015 at 02:14 AM

No edit David. I have not had it to 100MPH, at that speed it would be a bumpy ride.

My rental truck is a 2015 Ford F150 aluminum body quad cab. I have not checked MPG, but I have been buying lots of gas. It is a nice truck.

chuckie - 7-30-2015 at 04:16 AM

That Ford IS a nice truck. with a nice fat price....Toyota sure has the advantage there......

sd - 7-30-2015 at 07:22 AM

Correct Chuckie - Tacoma was $23,100 for my very basic single cab 4WD.

i have owned many Toyota's, very little has gone wrong. Highlander transmission went out at 188,000 miles. I drove it to 240,000 miles and now a friend of mine drives it with 280,000 miles. Still looks near new.

My rented Ford has lots great stuff, but price goes way up. Ford is advertising a lease on TV for about $250 per month that seems like a great deal if you don't put on many miles.

David K - 7-30-2015 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
No edit David. I have not had it to 100MPH, at that speed it would be a bumpy ride.

My rental truck is a 2015 Ford F150 aluminum body quad cab. I have not checked MPG, but I have been buying lots of gas. It is a nice truck.

Yes, my bad... I guess I thought I was seeing 100 mph as an exaggeration by you of what it took to make the Tacoma lose control... That VSC the Toyotas have is typically great at correcting oversteer on slippery roads at speed. 10 mph impact should have done less damage, indeed.

sd - 7-30-2015 at 10:16 AM

David,
It was totally operator error, no slipping or sliding with the truck. i should have zigged, but I zagged. I was just amazed at my damage for a slow speed bump.

Enjoying your trip report!

David K - 7-30-2015 at 03:21 PM

David,
It was totally operator error, no slipping or sliding with the truck. i should have zigged, but I zagged. I was just amazed at my damage for a slow speed bump.

Enjoying your trip report!

Bummer... you should have been driving faster, ... then the Toyota/ Bosch vehicle stability control would have saved you! The truck must have thought you wanted to crash it!??? :O LOL

Thanks... more coming soon!

chuckie - 7-30-2015 at 03:32 PM

You cant really believe what you just wrote? That a piece of technology is going to correct an operator error at speed....???? Come on..even you cant be that GULLIBLE...

David K - 7-30-2015 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
You cant really believe what you just wrote? That a piece of technology is going to correct an operator error at speed....???? Come on..even you cant be that GULLIBLE...

Not driver error as much as correcting unintended skidding/ spin-out from an emergency swerve to avoid hitting anything that suddenly is in your path.

Read and/or watch the video...

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)

Helps prevent wheels from slipping sideways when cornering or sudden steering

VSC is a system that helps prevent side skids and help stabilize the vehicle while turning on a curve. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) report, vehicles equipped with VSC compared to those without can effectively reduce single-vehicle accidents by 35% for automobiles and 67% for Sport Utility Vehicles (SUV).

When the vehicle senses a loss of traction or a slip, braking is automatically applied to all 4 individual wheels and engine power is reduced to help secure the safety of the vehicle. For example, if the steering wheel refuses to turn from over-speeding (under-steering), the vehicle will take control to steer toward the inner curve. Also, when the vehicle begins to spin from abrupt steering handling (over-steering), the vehicle will take control to steer toward the outer curve.

*VSC is designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control, and it is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Also, the system will not be able to surpass the performance of the quality of the tires.

chuckie - 7-30-2015 at 04:34 PM

BUT! That wasnt the case....READ what the man told you before going off into one of your paid commercials.....

David K - 7-30-2015 at 04:42 PM

BUT! That wasnt the case....READ what the man told you before going off into one of your paid commercials.....

I was answering your question or remark about how the VSC system works. sd and I communicated already about what he did I my original misreading.

chuckie - 7-30-2015 at 04:53 PM

I NEVER asked how it works.....Could care less....You really cant read can you....????

David K - 7-30-2015 at 05:19 PM

I NEVER asked how it works.....Could care less....You really cant read can you....????

You find it necessary to include insults with all your replies?

If you don't want to know how it works, then don't say things like this to me, as it begs an intelligent answer:

SFandH - 7-30-2015 at 05:39 PM

However, at about 10MPH

Toyota repair bill - $8,400!!

Tacoma was $23,100 for my very basic single cab 4WD.

So a 10 mph collision cost 36% of the price of the car to repair??

The mechanic probably had a yacht payment due and he gave the insurance adjuster $500. :lol:

Insurance, what a racket.

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by SFandH]

David K - 7-30-2015 at 05:50 PM

My answers here are always intended to be intelligent. The problem with me as I become more and more a senior citizen, is the factoring in of 'issues' I am not used to having. I will always correct an accidental or reading error, as I did with sd, above.

chuckie - 7-30-2015 at 06:01 PM

He has a vivid imagination......No one could interpret my statement into "Please tell me how that works".....Done here, before he starts blaming the accident on the "left" whatever that is.....Sorry for your wreck, Dude......Carry on....

sd - 7-30-2015 at 06:08 PM

Come on Chuckie,

I was poking fun at us Toyota owners, giving the Chevy guys a nod in good spirit and fun. David's support of Toyota trucks was very useful to me when I was considering purchasing a truck. Prior to buying I had rented a Dodge Hemi truck (love that power), and a Ford F150 quad cab, also a great truck I was looking for an off road capable inexpensive new truck. I do regret buying the single cab, just no room for my daily stuff I haul around inside the cab.

Keep it light please, I love reading just about everything posted on Nomad. It is informative and fun reading.

wessongroup - 7-31-2015 at 10:33 AM

The "new" ones aren't like the old ones ... plus the loss of "wrecking yards" has moved vehicle repair to an entirely different level

Drive carefully and hope chit doesn't happen :):)

rts551 - 7-31-2015 at 10:50 AM

He has a vivid imagination......No one could interpret my statement into "Please tell me how that works".....Done here, before he starts blaming the accident on the "left" whatever that is.....Sorry for your wreck, Dude......Carry on....

Chuckie. He is never wrong. Don't get sucked in. oh it was sure nice here a week ago.

chuckie - 7-31-2015 at 10:56 AM

Yeah, I should know better....

Did anyone mention Toyota?

durrelllrobert - 7-31-2015 at 11:02 AM

[url=][/url]