BajaNomad

To Baja California Sur: JULY 2015 (MANY PHOTOS)

Pages:  1  

David K - 7-29-2015 at 07:37 PM

PHOTOLESS (except for maps) REPORT: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79744

The following is my trip report with details and photos. I will be adding to this first post as I write the report and download the photos.

Part 1 covers Sunday-Tuesday (San Diego County to Shell Island, south of San Felipe).

The next parts will take us on to Gonzaga Bay, Coco's Corner, Laguna Chapala, San Ignacio, Mulegé, Bahía Concepción and back north. I have lot's of details on the highway condition and route.

From July 19 to July 27, Elizabeth ('Baja Angel' on Nomad) and I returned to the beautiful Bahia Concepcion of South Baja California. This was the fifth time camping on the beautiful, desert bay for Elizabeth. The previous times (2007, 2009, and twice in 2012) were all wonderful and each inspired us to make the over 600 mile trip once again.

2015 would be different, and while there were many great moments, a few not-so-great ones really took the some joy out of this vacation! We both love Baja California a lot, and nothing will keep us away from the magnificent peninsula. Sometimes you just run out of luck for a perfect trip, and it was just our time!

Sunday, July 19: We get on the road at 8:14 am, arrive El Centro at 10:30 am and turn south for Calexico/Mexicali. Just inside the border (Red light/ Green light) we pull over to the left, facing the white INM building (first building on the left, inside Mexico). INM is the immigration department where one obtains a tourist card, called an FMM. This is similar to a visa, and is requested for trips beyond the border zone or any trips longer than 72 hours in the border zone. The FMM is free for up to a 7 day visit and is 330 pesos (US$22) for up to 180 days. The exchange rate was around 15.00 pesos per dollar for this trip. The process was easy park, walk in the office with your passport, fill the form, pay the fee (if over 7 day duration trip), your passport is stamped and a receipt is issued. In the past, the fee needed to be paid at a bank, and that could be problematic if there was no open bank teller window nearby. Since 2012, the INM office has been able to collect the fee. The INM officer was friendly and because he needed to go get change, it was maybe a twenty minute process. We left INM at 11:16 am.

On the way out of Mexicali, we stopped to pick up some beer. Tecate Light, Dos Equis, and Tecate Titanium (a new 5.5% alcohol brew) and some complementary ice was obtained. 28 cans of beer was 340 pesos (US$22.67). The highway to San Felipe was excellent, of the 125 miles about 1/3 is four lanes wide and the rest is the newer, wide 2 lanes with paved shoulders that could double as bike lanes. A military operated drug and gun checkpoint is just south of the Highway 3 (Ensenada road) junction, 95 miles from Mexicali/ 30 miles from San Felipe. We are waved through with smiles all around, which is typical. Sometimes, usually northbound, we are asked to get out so they can look for any of the forbidden items (guns, ammo, illegal drugs).

The gas station 7 miles north of San Felipe, by the Rockadile sign, was where I topped the tank. The price of 87 octane /Magna gasoline was 13.57 pesos/liter. That works out to about US$3.45/gallon (about 30-50 cents cheaper than in California). We left the station at 1:55 pm and headed south. The traffic circle in the center of San Felipe is where you turn right to head south. The first 6 miles (10 kms.) is on the airport road to where a left turn is made for Highway 5 to continue south. This point is Km. 0, 10 kilometers south of the traffic circle in San Felipe. We go south about 16 miles from the airport road (or 22 from San Felipe).

Our first night camp on the beach that I call Shell Island, as it is a barrier island beach that is separated from the desert by a lagoon that is under water at the highest tides, and muddy much of the other times. The beach is accessed by four wheel drive and there are two sandy roads to it, south of the Rancho Percebu road which is between the Km. 20 & 21 markers.

Elizabeth spots whale bones near our camp.

Camp is set up at 3:30 pm, about 45 minutes after arriving. The temperature is 86° and we had some rain on the drive down and again after the tent was put up and later that night we got more rain, but nothing heavy.

The Coleman Instant tent has been fantastic for us.

Monday, July 20: A perfect, beautiful day! 88° and just a few clouds over the Sierra San Pedro Martir, to the west. We decide to spend another full day before heading to Baja Sur as the weather is ideal.

The Coleman Instant sun shade is also great and I have it put up before Elizabeth is out of the tent. She approves! Shade is critical when camping in Baja, especially in the summer.

More bones, these were much smaller, hopefully not a vaquita (an endangered porpoise).

Shell Island, near the north end, looking south.

Our camp near the lagoon side, protected from wind by the sand dunes.
Tuesday, July 21: A perfect, beautiful day, again! 92° and no clouds in the sky.

We take a daily drive at low tide to see if anything interesting is exposed by the huge gulf tides.

The usual, sand dollars and sea shells.

Getting that Baja Feeling!

Tern eggs are often out on the open beach, but these were in the dunes with some protection. They were huge compared to the parent bird!

Part 2: Coming soon!

[Edited on 7-2-2020 by David K]

Part 2: Wednesday AM, to Laguna Chapala...

David K - 7-29-2015 at 08:07 PM

Wednesday, July 22: Perfect day, again but the day you leave is typically the best weather day, so we were not surprised! We leave our beach camp at 8:00 am, and once we are off the beach we have the tires aired-up at 8:30. Deflating tire pressure is needed in such deep sand with a heavy load in the truck to prevent spinning the tires and getting stuck. An electric tire pump is used to refill them, and takes about 16 minutes for the four tires to go from 15 psi (back) or 20 psi (front) to the normal street 34 psi.

Diablo Mountain (Baja's highest, over 10,100 feet above sea level), Wednesday morning.

Looking towards the island/beach from the road out to Hwy. 5 at Km. 26.

The Puertecitos road junction is at Km. 74.5, and we pass it at 9:30 am, 52 miles from the San Felipe traffic circle, 30 miles south of Shell Island road. The Puertecitos roadbed was constructed in 1982 and then paved several years later. It is an old style rural road, very narrow, with many steep dips across arroyos (usually dry washes). It cannot be driven at high speed because of these sudden surprise dips (vados). The paving was originally so thin, it was in ruins by the late 1990s. It was repaved around 2005-2006.

The view point of the Enchanted Islands, around Km. 100.

The highway south of Puertecitos is a totally different story. It is a wide, two lane road with paved shoulders, bridges and culverts instead of dips, and a higher speed limit. This new highway construction began in 2007 and has progressed south an average of 12 kilometers a year, so far. The pavement ends 96 kilometers (almost 60 miles) south of Puertecitos currently, and has for the past half year. New construction is ongoing as they blast through mountains for the final 20 some miles to Highway 1 at Laguna Chapala. The alignment is slightly different than of the current road for part of the way. It will be about 2 miles west of Coco's Corner.

A military checkpoint is located at Km. 148 (in the Gonzaga Bay area), and we are waved through with smiles. We stop at the gas station located at the road to Alfonsina's Resort, Gonzaga Bay, at Km. 150. The time was 10:30 am. Here gas was slightly different price than all others in Baja, at 14.08 pesos/liter (US$3.57/gallon). Less than 10 gallons tops my tank. On our return trip north, four days later, the station was closed. Never pass an open station without enough gas to reach the next one! Just past the Alfonsina's road is the Rancho Grande airstrip and road on the left and their market on the right. The market has ice, liquor, food and behind it is a tire shop. We get some ice and beer and leave Rancho Grande at 10:53 am.

5 miles south, Km. 158, the highway crosses the large Santa Maria riverbed near the junction with Arroyo Las Arrastras. A paved exit and parking area with a construction monument overlooks the large bridge from the north rim. On the trip north we stop here for photos. At Km. 162 is a sign Rancho Las Palmitas on the west and Punta Final on the east. Las Palmitas is an oasis 4 miles west along El Camino Real, the California mission trail.

Las Arrastras well, and highway construction south, in the distance, west of Coco�s Corner.

The end of pavement is reached past the Kilometer 170 marker, 12.7 miles from Rancho Grande/ Alfonsina's Pemex. This begins an area of huge granite boulders for the next 6 miles to Las Arrastras, the site of a gold ore mill and a former ranch. The foundations remain, and in the arroyo below are the stone mills (arrastras) and well. The highway construction uses the well to fill water trucks. Here the new highway route leaves the former road and heads straight south. The current road curves east and goes to Coco's Corner, 3.8 miles from Las Arrastras.

We arrive at Coco's Corner at 11:48 am and have a nice visit with Coco and enjoy cold Pacific beer (he also sells Corona). Coco is a landmark here for over 20 years. Diabetes has caused him to lose both legs, but he manages to get around and has an ATV and truck modified for him to drive. He is close to 80 now, and is in high spirit. When I asked him about the new highway bypassing his corner, he expressed pleasure in not having the noise a highway would bring. Coco said the new road is 2.5 kilometers west (1.5 miles). Other visitors arrived and after some photos, we were on our way at 12:27 pm.

The Kragen HID plastic lights are not Baja tough!

New highway construction was reached 3.7 miles from Coco's and lasted for 3 miles. They crews are taking down whole mountains from the top to create a straight as possible alignment. It may be several years before the last 20 some miles to Highway 1 is completed? The current road is very rough, being used for construction vehicles, trucks, and anyone else. With my heavy load of camping gear and ice chests, I had to slow to 10 miles an hour for some of the distance over the mountain from Coco's to Laguna Chapala. 13 miles from Coco's Corner/ 23 miles on dirt, we arrived at Highway 1 at 1:03 pm. I aired up the tires (dropped them to 25 psi for the rocky road to prevent flats), and we had some snacks and beer. Southbound at 1:30 pm.

MAP showing the Coco's Corner bypass route for the new highway (black heavy line, between the blue arrows)...

Part 3: Coming Soon!

AKgringo - 7-29-2015 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for the post Dave, lots of details, and more to come.

I thought you were going to be on the road a little longer, bit a quick trip is better than just wishing you were there.

Be honest now, how was it to go that long with limited Nomad connection? Any withdrawal symptoms?

David K - 7-29-2015 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thanks for the post Dave, lots of details, and more to come.

I thought you were going to be on the road a little longer, bit a quick trip is better than just wishing you were there.

Be honest now, how was it to go that long with limited Nomad connection? Any withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks AK, we have a 2 week vacation and if it wasn't for some of the stuff you will soon read in this report, we may have stayed south a bit longer than 9 days. However, the main idea was rest for Baja Angel with not a lot of off roading. I am fine off of Nomad when I am in Baja. Baja Nomad is the best place to be close to Baja, when you are not in Baja. When I am in Baja, I am getting my fix!
:light:

Las Arrastras de Arriola 2015

David K - 7-29-2015 at 11:54 PM

It is very possible that this historic site and gold mill, founded by Arturo Grosso (of Laguna Chapala fame), may be destroyed when the new highway comes through. Here are the photos I took of the abandoned ranch last week. It is located ahead, where the graded dirt road makes a curve left and the driveway to the east (original dirt road) is lined with tires half buried in the dirt.

Pablito1 - 7-30-2015 at 06:49 AM

Thanks for the very good post. We really enjoyed it especially seeing Coco. I haven't seen him for several years and he seems to be doing good.

Regards, Pablo

Maron - 7-30-2015 at 08:04 AM

Super reports and lots of good info. Can't wait for the next chapters.

Thanks

Part 3: Laguna Chapala to San Ignacio

David K - 7-30-2015 at 08:29 AM

El Portezuelo, the pass between the Laguna Chapala valley and the desert south. In July, 1973, while the new road being built, my folks and I stopped here for photos.

Hey, who's that skinny 15 year old with a Dick Cepek, Baja Proven shirt on?

The Bah�a de los Angeles junction (former Parador Punta Prieta) is passed 30 miles from Laguna Chapala, at 1:59 pm.

A vendor sells gas from cans in front of the abandoned parador building and former gas station (blue truck on right).

Just south, on the east side of the highway is a large fenced area with a sign advertising a future Pemex gas station and Los Pinos market.

At 2:40 pm we arrive at Nuevo Rosarito and pull over to the left to have a meal at Mauricio's Restaurant. Elizabeth ordered the fried chicken dinner and I had the breaded fish dinner, we both drank the Jamaica (Hah-My-Kah) tea. This is a sweet tea, also called Hibiscus Tea made from the dried Roselle flower. It is very similar to cranberry in taste. More at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant)#Beverage . My fish dinner was excellent, and Elizabeth liked her meal, too. The chicken leg was huge, so we guessed it was a rooster of extra-large size!

On the road again at 3:33 pm and the narrow Baja highway begins with a section of newer, wide paving with shoulders 20 kilometers or so. A military checkpoint is reached at the El Tomatal road junction and it is all smiles as we are waved through. At Km. 95, about 27 miles from Nuevo Rosarito is a Pemex gas station and the town of Villa Jesus Maria (new signs call the town Valle Jesus Maria). Down the long straight highway we fly and wiz past a truck stopped on the road with a man signaling us. I hit the brakes and back up to see what he needs. His fuel pump is bad and asks if we can seek out his friends at the cattle office (across from the airport road) several miles south, to come help. Happy to assist, we find the office and deliver the message.

20 miles from Jesus Maria is the 140 foot tall eagle monument, built on the 28° Latitude Line to mark the completion of the Trans-peninsular Highway on December 1, 1973.

South of the line is the newest Mexican state of Baja California Sur (1974), and a change to Mountain Time so we lose an hour on the clock (but regain it on the trip north). The highway has a slight curve right and full stop sign in front of the INM office and agricultural station. We are asked if we have any fruits or vegetables and then asked for 20 pesos to proceed and drive over a missing line that is to kill any bugs from the north that may be under the truck.

There is no request to see our FMM Tourist Cards, as had been the case on many trips south before. Last trip in 2012, the INM officer just looked out from his open door and waved us on, from the stop sign. 2001, 2007, and 2009 trips all asked to see the official paper here, southbound. 2 miles from the state border/ Eagle Monument is the junction into downtown Guerrero Negro at 4:26 pm Pacific time/ 5:26 pm Mountain time. The highway curves to the southeast for many miles and the kilometer markers now are set south to north, in reverse from the northern state.

About 47 miles from the Eagle Monument is the town of Vizcaino and our next fuel stop, about 190 miles from the last, at Gonzaga Bay. My truck is getting over 16 mpg, and considering the heavy load, speed, dirt section at lower pressure, this is fine. 600 pesos (US$40) tops the tank (44.2 liters/ 11.7 gallons).

SAN IGNACIO:

44 more miles and after a military check is passed through, we arrive at the oasis town of San Ignacio, it is 7:10 pm Mountain time. No matter if you need to go into the town or not, if this is your first time, do turn right off the highway on the paved side road into town (across from the gas station, by the whale bones). It is less than 2 miles to the town plaza and mission church, with a crossing of the San Ignacio River along the way. This large body of water comes out of the desert rocks just east, and disappears just west of the crossing. This oasis was a huge Indian settlement and 11th California mission, founded in 1728.

The giant church made of 4 foot thick blocks of rock, was built in the late 1700s and is one of the finest Spanish missions to survive the years. Following the independence war of 1810-1821, the Spanish period ended in Baja California. The Mexican government allowed the mission to continue for the local population, and did so until 1840. The building was used after that year as a parish church, and has been preserved with informative signs in English and Spanish.

Continue just past the mission and see a new motel in a large grass field, called the La Huerta. A well-stocked market is located at the entrance, and sells ice. The motel was very good, comfortable bed, air conditioning, ceiling fan, and reasonably priced at 550 pesos for a single bed (just under US$40 at a 14:1 exchange). Three remotes (TV, AC, and Fan) in a box, are provided with a refundable 100 peso deposit. Life is good and we sleep well.

Hotel La Huerta hotel.lahuertabcs@outlook.es Tel. 154-0116

PHOTOS:

Thursday, July 23: I get up first and take advantage of the morning sun on the front of the mission to get some photos while my bride of 7 years enjoys the rest, on her well-deserved work vacation. A small cafe facing the plaza by the mission advertises a breakfast of hot cakes, ham and eggs. After checking out, we go there and have a really good breakfast with coffee (180 pesos for both of us). We leave San Ignacio at 11:10 am following a walking tour of the mission with Elizabeth and buying a handmade purse from the lady in the mission, along with a donation to the mission.

Above: Mission as seen from the motel grounds entrance.

Photos of the mission and some of San Ignacio town:

Above: A small inn and book shop that has a long history in San Ignacio, near the northeast corner of the plaza.

Stay Tuned for the next part...

desertcpl - 7-30-2015 at 09:10 AM

very nice

TMW - 7-30-2015 at 10:00 AM

Excellent David, thanks.

StuckSucks - 7-30-2015 at 11:53 AM

Enjoying the photos and write-up - thanks!

wiltonh - 7-30-2015 at 12:01 PM

We always stop at San Ignacio. We were there for the grand opening of the little store near the new hotel.

Your pictures of the square reminded me of the day I purchased a Telcel card for my unlocked iPhone. The store was on the East side of the square. That fixed the no internet problem at least when we were in a town.

Thanks for all the pictures.

[Edited on 7-30-2015 by wiltonh]

ehall - 7-30-2015 at 12:27 PM

Nice report. Great pictures. Are they pumping water at arras tar for construction. The well was covered and not being used in May .

David K - 7-30-2015 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Nice report. Great pictures. Are they pumping water at 'Arrastras' for construction. The well was covered and not being used in May .

Yes, there is a diesel generator on a trailer, just left of the well.

Also just left of this photo shot is a road made down the arroyo for water trucks and construction... and the road heads south towards where you see the dust from the mountain cutting... that is about 3-4 miles south and 1.5 miles west of Coco's. See the map in Part 2.

Just left of the well, a generator and construction road heading south.

[Edited on 7-30-2015 by David K]

ehall - 7-30-2015 at 03:45 PM

San Ignacio looks beautiful. Definitely going to check it out next time.

Part 4: To Mulegé and Bahía Concepción (Thu-Sat)

David K - 7-30-2015 at 05:11 PM

We pass through Santa Rosalia at 12:14 pm, 45 miles from San Ignacio. There was a dirt detour along some highway work, less than 2 miles long, about midway between the two towns. We arrive in Mulegé (Moo-la-HAY) at 12:55 pm, 37 miles from Santa Rosalia, and take the left fork under the castle-style wall, into town. A one pump gas station is 0.2 mile from Hwy. 1, and I top the tank here. Gasoline (Magna only) is the standard 13.57 pesos per liter.

Passing through town we soon are along the river or estuary. The new concrete road ends 1.6 miles from the Pemex station. The unpaved street continues for 0.3 mile to the El Patrón Restaurant on the water. The sign says open, and I really hope we come back when we are hungry, because it was so good in 2007 and 2009, but closed in 2012.

We are anxious to get on to our camp on Bahia Concepcion, so we head on south and plan to buy some block ice at the plant located across from the other gas station south of town. Block ice lasts so much longer than the cube ice sold at most stores in Baja. We are disappointed to find the ice plant no longer in business (the building front is still there). A family has a small beer and bag ice business, so we buy 5 bags of ice and 8 cans of Dos Equis beer, total 192 pesos. We leave at 1:40 pm.

I find the dirt road leading to Santa Barbara Cove and the gate is wide open so we proceed to check out a possible spot. Very soon we come to a truck and boat trailer heading out and are told it is private property and not a camping beach. Great, that saved us from a few rough miles of driving. Next, we go to El Requesón. This is an island with a sand spit that connects to the island at low tide with small palapas on the water's edge. The sand spit suffered some storm or current erosion and appears to be too low currently to connect. The same palapa or their locations we used in 2007 and earlier I used in 1985 and 1976 are there, and still just above the high tide line. The road to El Requesón now has a large paved ramp off the highway and any vehicle can get to that beach. Even an 18 wheeler was down there! Too crowded, no vacant palapas, so we go 'next door' to La Perla and camp at the same place we did in 2009 and twice in 2012. It was 2:21 pm, and other than a day use family, nobody else was there. Awesome!

We set up the tent first, throw in it our close bags and pillows, and then jump in the beautiful bay water. It was warm but cooler than last time, actually it was perfect! The day time temperature was in the mid-90s and felt great.

While floating in the water, we see the typical thunder clouds building up to the southwest, then suddenly we see a downpour out in the bay, and can actually hear the rain hitting the sea with great force! All seems to be moving to either side of us, so no panic yet. When some big drops begin dropping around us in the water and the wind picks up, I get out and add lines to secure the tent. Knowing these afternoon showers are generally brief, I wasn't too concerned that it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Elizabeth got out of the water as it began really raining steady. We both took advantage of the natural shower and rinsed off before sitting down inside the palapa to wait out the rain. It got harder and harder, the wind got stronger, a large waterfall was pouring off the a mesa a couple miles west, the rain began to blow in sideways, hitting us in the face, as we huddle well under the palapa. The tent is really being pushed on by the strong, tornado-like wind and we can see that the close bags are pressed into the sides, and may be getting wet. Nothing we can do than wait it out.

We estimate the rain event lasted about an hour, and it and the wind moved on. We survived the cloud-burst, but inside the tent, our clothes and pillows were soaked! We had a fire and hoped for a better day tomorrow. A car drove up in the dark and a little old lady named Rosa walked up to collect the camping fee (100 pesos). It was buggy as we were on the beach and even saw millions of crawling bugs come out of the sand around the fire. It reminded Elizabeth of an Indiana Jones movie!

Elizabeth made the best of it for the time, but she was not going to sleep outside that night, and had a comfortable night in the Tacoma. She tried to get me to join her, but I was sure I needed to lay down, so I set up my cot in the palapa, with citronella candles and deet applied (yes, many mosquitos). I actually slept well, unaware the mosquitos were not annoyed by my preventative measures.

Friday, July 24: I wake up early and notice that my lips are feeling weird and there is a puffiness under one of my eyes. The deet and candles were not 100% effective and I am guessing I look like the Elephant Man somewhat? I go to the Tacoma passenger window, Elizabeth is awake and I do my best Quasimodo impersonation. Other than the mosquitos, I slept fine, and Elizabeth was very happy she slept in the truck!

The day is beautiful and sunny. I string up some clotheslines and we basically spend the day drying everything that got wet, with some time swimming in the bay also.

A wind gust did come up suddenly, but calmed down later.

Several years ago, an �artist� outlined the lava on this mountainside. Most of his white paint has faded. It looks like he was seeing coral or seaweed and a whale swimming up?

We decide this would be our last night camping here and will pack it up in the morning (Saturday).

More to come!!!

desertcpl - 7-30-2015 at 06:24 PM

thanks David,, bring back many memories

BooJumMan - 7-30-2015 at 06:45 PM

HAHA! "Funny" story about the mosquitoes! DOH! Enjoying the pix, Thanks DK

bajabuddha - 7-31-2015 at 06:42 AM

Were either of my outhouses still standing at all at La Perla?

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2015 at 07:26 AM

Your intro said something bad ruined your trip? What was it? I tried skimming thru your report to find out, but it got a bit long, and Had too many photos and was loading too slowly to wee the the details

Can you publish an abstract?

David K - 7-31-2015 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Were either of my outhouses still standing at all at La Perla?

Sadly, both were in ruins... The basic frame was still standing, but the side wall was gone, and other damage from what I saw... didn't go close. When the covey of quail were foraging, the alpha male bird flew to the top for a lookout position.

Meany - 7-31-2015 at 07:36 AM

Thanks David. What a great trip. It shows that no matter how many times through the years you go to Baja and think you have done it all, she throws all she has at you. :bounce:

David K - 7-31-2015 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Your intro said something bad ruined your trip? What was it? I tried skimming thru your report to find out, but it got a bit long, and Had too many photos and was loading too slowly to wee the the details

YES:

*The trip was 9 days in Mexico, less than originally possible.
*We did get some rain on Shell Island on the first day and night (Sunday), but it caused us no problems.
*The next three days were great... two full days on the island and one day driving to San Ignacio.
*The last part posted (#4, Thursday & Friday) described two of the 'bads', but not the worse >>> Getting our stuff soaked and getting bit-up caused us to leave Concepcion early.
*The next parts (Saturday-Monday) will cover the rest.
Stay tuned.

**I will happily post a non-photo report for those on dial-up, because the time downloading so many images is indeed frustrating, I didn't consider anyone still had slow Internet. Good idea Goat! I will post it as a separate thread, so there should be no slow loading issues caused by photos.

David K - 7-31-2015 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Meany  
Thanks David. What a great trip. It shows that no matter how many times through the years you go to Baja and think you have done it all, she throws all she has at you. :bounce:

So VERY true! :light:
Stay tuned for the really negative event that would have ruined Mexico travel for many others... but not me!

David K - 7-31-2015 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

YES:

*The trip was 9 days in Mexico, less than originally possible.
*We did get some rain on Shell Island on the first day and night (Sunday), but it caused us no problems.
*The next three days were great... two full days on the island and one day driving to San Ignacio.
*The last part posted (#4, Thursday & Friday) described two of the 'bads', but not the worse >>> Getting our stuff soaked and getting bit-up caused us to leave Concepción early.
*The next parts (Saturday-Monday) will cover the rest.
Stay tuned.

**I will happily post a non-photo report for those on dial-up, because the time downloading so many images is indeed frustrating, I didn't consider anyone still had slow Internet. Good idea Goat! I will post it as a separate thread, so there should be no slow loading issues caused by photos.

HERE IS THE TEXT ONLY VERSION: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79744

gallesram - 7-31-2015 at 09:46 AM

David you did a great job with the report! Great read and very informative; thanks for all the detail and pictures.

David K - 7-31-2015 at 09:49 AM

Hang in there, it gets better... or more wild the next three days yet posted!

wandamott - 7-31-2015 at 09:53 AM

David....great pictures. At one point you mention "Getting the Baja Feeling" Did you just say that or was it a reference to the book of the same name. I have that book and have read it a couple of times in the past few years. If you or anyone else have not read it, I recommend getting it. It is a great book and easy reading. The book is called "The Baja Feeling" by Ben Hunter. My wife and went to Baja every year for the winter for 23 years and loved it. Too old now but still have the memories.....Walt and Audrey.

wandamott - 7-31-2015 at 10:00 AM

Forgot to mention.....we went to Mulege and stayed for 5 - 6 months each year in the Oasis Park. Great place and the Mexicans are great people. We met a lot of good friends there.

David K - 7-31-2015 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wandamott  
David....great pictures. At one point you mention "Getting the Baja Feeling" Did you just say that or was it a reference to the book of the same name. I have that book and have read it a couple of times in the past few years. If you or anyone else have not read it, I recommend getting it. It is a great book and easy reading. The book is called "The Baja Feeling" by Ben Hunter. My wife and went to Baja every year for the winter for 23 years and loved it. Too old now but still have the memories.....Walt and Audrey.

It's a great book... and yes, where I got the phrase...

Udo - 7-31-2015 at 02:29 PM

Thanks for the superb photos, DK!

WOW!

Hey, did you get a new awning? Or was I just blind before?

I'll post the photos of the Baja by the Sea event Saturday night.

David K - 7-31-2015 at 02:56 PM

The sun canopy you see above we got after the wind event in July, 2011 that destroyed the previous one... and sank the Erik. This one is a Coleman Instant Canopy.

o3dave - 7-31-2015 at 03:59 PM

Cant wait for the rest! Is there a restaurant at the Hotel in San Ignacio? How about wifi. I have heard some about it and am excited to try it out. Could not find a decent place to eat last time. (La Pinta)

David K - 7-31-2015 at 04:14 PM

WiFi only works in the lobby. No restaurant. Thumbs up on the rest however.

More report coming soon. :light:

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2015 at 04:22 PM

David,

Two things:

1. I need a Coleman tent like yours. My REI tent sucks.

2. Its time for a new rack of lights - ditch the HIDs, or carry more electrical tape and a stick to keep the light upright.

Enjoying the thread!:bounce:

Howard - 7-31-2015 at 06:44 PM

Just ordered from Amazon a used book of "The Baja Thing" for .01 plus around $3 shipping. Thanks for the heads up about the book.

4x4abc - 7-31-2015 at 10:31 PM

glad you had a great time, David!

BajaBlanca - 7-31-2015 at 10:56 PM

mosquitoes can really put a damper on a trip.....for sure, as can rain when you are camping.

so enjoying the reading!

PART 5: Concepcion Bay to San Ignacio via La Magdalena

David K - 7-31-2015 at 11:59 PM

EDIT: See the photos here: https://vivabaja.com/july-2015/

Saturday, July 25:
We pack up the camp and pull out of La Perla at 11:49 am and take the short drive north to visit with Mark & Olivia at Playa Buenaventura Bar & Restaurant. We see that the hotel next door is deserted/ closed, but Mark and Olivia's place is open and inviting.

They are both there and Mark shares their great news regarding the battle with Muñoz (an out-of-state developer and owner of the hotel next door who has harassed these two for several years with false accusations and physical harm to try and force them off their land, so he could take it over).
Their long nightmare is apparently over. From what I gathered in our brief talk, a judge has awarded them the hotel (for compensation for the years of hell). Mark said that Muñoz had the rooms trashed and pulled the copper wire out of the buildings before being forced away. If they reopen the hotel, it may only be a couple of the rooms or they may sell it?

We take some photos along Bahia Concepcion driving north:

We need ice, and the place that sold bags in front of the former block ice plant, was out of ice. I had never been out there, but knew about the ice house road that heads west from Hwy. 1 in Mulegé. Take the paved road west before the downtown entrance castle. See the signs for Ray's Place (closed) but keep going straight west. The ice plant is on then right and has blocks or partials for sale. The ice is not clean or potable, just for cooling! In fact, it's pretty dirty and Elizabeth makes sure we replace it as soon as she sees how bad it looks when some of it melts a day later.

I want to check on the Magdalena mission-era site we visited in 2009 that is a few miles northwest of Mulegé. It remains unclear who or when the project was built. Why it was out in the desert and not in the oasis valley where the water is (today's town of San Jose de Magdalena) is also strange. Some maps show the site, but not exactly located, as Santa Maria Magdalena (a proposed Jesuit mission, but much farther north). The Mulegé mission was almost moved to this location after floods destroyed that mission's fields in 1770.

The site is at the end of a long aqueduct carved into the side of a cliff and across the desert to a pila (reservoir). Stone, rock and adobe building ruins are nearby or were. This was an important site, but forgotten by time and in a harsh location, rarely seen by outsiders.

Google Earth images show that the Magdalena riverbed widened during a hurricane after our 2009 visit, and took out the building location, but not the pila (yet). The buildings, on both sides of a dirt road were centered at GPS: 27°03'29.9" -112°10'07.4" and the pila nearby (we didn't go see in 2009) is at: GPS: 27°03'29.1" -112°10'12.3"

Here is one of the buildings at that GPS waypoint, in 2009:

What inspired me to investigate was to see if indeed another historic site was washed away, like at Mission Ligüí in 2001, and document what may remain before it too is gone forever.

Here is that satellite images before (2012) and after (2015) the flash flood event. Markers at the building and pila sites:

CLOSER (and west at top):

On 4-2-13:

On 2-3-15:

Just north of the series of bridges, past the Palo Verde airport road, we turn left (west) off of Hwy. 1 just north of Km. 162 (0.4 mile south of Km. 163 if southbound). Some of this dirt road was used recently for an off road race, many arrow signs. Set odometer to 0.

0.0 Hwy. 1 (Km. 162+ )
0.4 Fork, go left (southwest).
3.7 Drive out onto riverbed cobble.
Road goes west about 1/2 mile, then turns south, crosses water to south side and turns back east passing goat ranch area. See aqueduct along cliff that terminates at the Magdalena mission-era pila, hidden in the desert.
4.4 fork left off ranch road (ends ahead at blue ranch house) into arroyo bed, soon pass by blue house while driving east in arroyo.
4.8 Park by side gully on south wall of arroyo. Walk south in gully and see pila on right. Walk east from pila to see remains of melted adobe walls next to new cliff, overlooking wide arroyo.

Photos: https://vivabaja.com/july-2015/

Magdalena Pila:

Magdalena Building Ruins 2015:

The arroyo will soon take this and the pila away.

My truck near the pila, taken from the remaining building ruins.

On the drive back to Hwy. 1:

We have an easy drive to San Ignacio and arrive at 5:19 pm. Dinner at Rice and Beans was great. Elizabeth had the Chicken Fajita dinner and I had the Garlic Fish plate (yellowtail). Our dinner, with 4 beers, came to 405 pesos (US$31).

Rice and Beans, San Ignacio, an off road racer's watering hole!

We drove to the La Huerta motel, but a wedding party has filled the place. We stop at the Desert Inn hotel, but they are way too pricey at 1200 pesos for a room. Back to Rice and Beans, and we get a room at Ricardo's (the owner) for 650 pesos (US$50). Sadly, it is far less appealing than the La Huerta. It has hard bed tops, and live c-ckroaches. The AC and shower were fine, so we toughed out and got some sleep.

Tomorrow Morning, the Devil tries to scare us out of Baja! Stay Tuned!

[Edited on 10-6-2022 by David K]

Cappy - 8-1-2015 at 05:47 AM

Great read. Thanks for the photos and report

BornFisher - 8-1-2015 at 08:20 AM

Loving it, thanks!

David K - 8-1-2015 at 09:48 AM

I am glad some of you enjoy my Baja trip reports and travel/ history notes. I appreciate the feedback and it keeps me wanting to give more back to my viewing amigos here!

To me, Baja California (the "original" California), is a history class open to all who are inspired to attend, despite the many difficulties or hardships a desert adventure in another country may include.

There are only two more days left to report on:
San Ignacio to Nuevo Mazatlan on Sunday and Nuevo Mazatlan to Mexicali on Monday.

What happens on Sunday morning could easily chase some tourist out of Mexico forever. It is an event that has never happened to me in my 50 years of travels south of the border (41 as the vehicle driver).

Many think I write only good things and hide the bad. Actually, my attitude is one of seeking good experiences and bad stuff rarely happens. Of the four trips that Elizabeth and I have taken together south of the Eagle Monument (into Baja Sur), this was the only one with a bad experience that was not needed. The weather and insect issues are acts of Nature and excusable. Not all camping trips can be perfect, and we understand that. What happened Sunday morning was not excusable.

Stay tuned! ;)

ncampion - 8-1-2015 at 10:30 AM

Great report (as always) can't wait to hear the final chapter!

AKgringo - 8-1-2015 at 11:43 AM

Glad to hear that Mark and Olivia should be getting the motel back, I hope things work well for them.

I have been following this forum for less than a year, and caught part of a long running thread about their problems. At the time, I did not make the connection that it was the same place I stayed in 1999. We stayed there on the way down the peninsula, and on the way back and were treated well at both the motel and the restaurant.

It was twelve years before I made the trip again, and was disappointed and puzzled to find it closed! Now that I know they still run the restaurant, I will certainly eat there this fall when I intend to spend a week or so exploring the Mulege/Conception area a bit more thoroughly.

Thanks again David, and please, no more cliffhanging!

desertcpl - 8-1-2015 at 11:58 AM

great posts

now come on,, I am right on the edge

Stop teasing us!

Howard - 8-1-2015 at 01:04 PM

This wait is worse than going to a Saturday Buck Rogers matinee and have to wait to see if he lives in the next episode!

vandenberg - 8-1-2015 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
This wait is worse than going to a Saturday Buck Rogers matinee and have to wait to see if he lives in the next episode!

Not to fret, this Buck is indestructable!!:biggrin:

LancairDriver - 8-1-2015 at 02:10 PM

I think the individual user is aware of this and capable of making their own decision on managing their internet use.

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I didn't consider anyone still had slow Internet.
Not everybody is you: Speed aside, consider also that many users have metered Internet (satellite or cell phone connections), and that excessive traffic can actually cost them money. Efficient, concise use of the resource is considerate of our unknown audience out there. :)

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2015 at 03:06 PM

What happens on Sunday morning could easily chase some tourist out of Mexico forever. It is an event that has never happened to me in my 50 years of travels south of the border (41 as the vehicle driver).
Stay tuned! ;)

For this reason, I prefer Baja to Sinaloa. :yes:

It can't cost THAT much???

Ken Cooke - 8-1-2015 at 03:10 PM

users have metered Internet (satellite or cell phone connections), and that excessive traffic can actually cost them money.

When I ran out of cell data, I walked around the corner, down the street, and around the next corner and paid about 25,000 Colombian Pesos = $15 at the time (January 2015). Is your cell data that expensive? South of the border it should be affordable.

ncampion - 8-1-2015 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Is your cell data that expensive?

Nah, it's the principle of the thing. ;D

Wars have been fought for less, I bet.

[Edited on 8-1-2015 by lencho]

If it's really just "the principle of the thing" - well get over it! The pictures add immensely to the narrative of most trip reports and without them you lose a great deal of the impact. I suggest that if you can't get over it, don't open an trip reports. David went above and beyond to post a separate report without pictures for limited bandwidth users; but "the principle", come on.

desertcpl - 8-1-2015 at 04:15 PM

okay DK,, but do it when you have the time and not rush it

( well maybe ) LOL

Sunday, July 26: MARIJUANA ?? NO!!

David K - 8-1-2015 at 09:19 PM

Sunday, July 26: We sleep in, it is quiet there at Rice and Beans Sunday morning. Neither of us are hungry so we pass on having breakfast and get on the road at 10:50 am. Rice and Beans now has a direct entrance off Hwy. 1. Before, you would need to go to the first paved road on the right, before the gas station. The town plaza road is the second paved road to the right, just past the gas station.

About two miles west of San Ignacio is a military checkpoint, and there are no cars or trucks in line ahead of us. I drive up with the windows rolled down and say Buenos Dias. I am asked the typical Where are you coming from? (in Spanish) and reply Rice and Beans and Mulege before. I am asked Got Drugs? (Not the usual, do you have guns or drugs?.

No, no drugs, is my reply. We are then asked to get out so they can search and this is typical northbound. The guy asking the question goes immediately to the floor mat and running board and is picking through the gravel and shell bits in the truck carpet from my shoe bottoms the past few days. They have never done that before in all my years.

He picks up what looks like a small dark rock, very tiny, and says, Marijuana? Of course my answer is no, as neither of us use Marijuana (or any illegal drugs). Elizabeth is on her side of the truck watching his actions closely, and responds as well, No.

He then takes a cigarette lighter out of his pocket and lights the tiny object, and it smokes, and he says Marijuana! To which I state very clearly, no marijuana, I don't smoke cigarettes or marijuana. He has me smell the small burning piece of whatever, and I just shake my head and step back. It is so tiny it is discarded and he proceeds to slowly search my truck. Now, none of the other soldiers are doing anything and this guy is almost in a joking mood saying things to one other soldier. The others are looking disgusted and have their heads lowered in embarrassment. This guy opens my flashlight to look at the batteries, then the bag my tire pump is in, and not much else. He then looks in my ice chests, giggles to the other guy and says we can go.

He was totally messing with us, and if I wasn't in such shock and wanting to get away from there, I may have insisted on getting his name and comandante's name. Elizabeth said she looked for a name badge and didn't see one. This was about 11-11:30 am Sunday. I was not afraid, because unless he planted something on us, we had nothing illegal. I only wonder if the seed or whatever he lit was from the parking lot or beach. But, I don't think it was marijuana, or hope not! CLEAN your floor mats before you drive away, each day in Mexico!

We drive away stunned to what just happened. I am thinking that if we were newbies to Mexico, that incident would have easily ended any chance to go return. There are just too many great places to drive to in the United States to put up with stuff like this. I love Baja California too much to let any joker in a uniform keep me away.

Several miles north, we pull off to make some PB&Js (Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches). It was at the side road for San Francisco de la Sierra. Not sure why, but flies by the dozens were being a real nuisance to our lunch prep. It took about 50 miles over opening and closing the windows to get them all out of the truck!

We topped the gas tank at a new station in Vizcaino (42 miles from San Ignacio), on the right (east) side of highway. It had a different price than the most of the others (14.20 pesos per liter). The truck took on 51.6 liters for 700 pesos. It was 12:09 pm.

Crossing north from Baja California Sur to the state of Baja California, we got back the hour we lost going south (i.e. 1 pm became 12 pm). We arrived at Laguna Chapala and left the pavement at 1:44 pm Pacific time, 152 miles from Vizcaino.

Survey marker for the new highway begin about 7 miles from Hwy. 1. In the hills we encounter two huge dump trucks and pull over to allow them to pass. We pass Coco's Corner and reach the pavement at the same spot as before, 23 miles from Hwy. 1. I had deflated my tires to 25 psi for the dirt section, but decide to wait to re-inflate them at the new rest stop/ view point at the Santa Maria River bridge, about 7 miles north. We drive slowly with the tires 9 psi lower than normal.

Rest stop at north side of Santa Maria bridge (called Las Arrastras bridge on signs).

At the fancy rest stop, we take photos as I pump up the tires and Elizabeth points out that a handicap ramp was made to get to the sidewalk, no ramp was made to pass the many steps leading to the viewing platform! On my last tire to refill, the tube get P-nched as I walk away momentarily, and I hear the pump motor make a different sound after a clap noise! Yikes, the back pressure blew a ring or check valve inside the little motor, and it no longer pumped out air!

We go to Rancho Grande, get clean ice (70 pesos for one big and one small bag) to replace the murky block ice we bought in Mulegé, and I drive around to the back and get some air for the one low tire. It is 4:06 pm and we drive to Alfonsina's Resort. The gas station is closed this afternoon, but I think I can make San Felipe on what is in the tank from Vizcaino. A gate is opened to proceed to Alfonsina's and we are given a guest pass for the dash. It is 2 miles to the motel/ restaurant/ bar and it is busy, but we have a nice seat on the deck. A family is playing in the water and manager Antonio comes out to greet us after we get seated by a very friendly waiter. Ice cold Pacificos and garlic shrimp dinners are ordered.

Two shrimp dinners and four Pacificos were US$42 + tip. We ask Antonio about a room, and the price is posted at US$80. No AC, because no generator, just the breeze off the bay. We pass on getting a room and leave at 5:26 pm. We push on north, and the drive is easy. Because we lost the air pump's use, we decide to camp at Nuevo Mazatlan, where I have gone camping since 1967 until I found the road onto Shell Island in 1978, and a couple times since, as well.

We arrive at Nuevo Mazatlan, and the campground is deserted. We set up in the trees closest to the beach. Nuevo Mazatlan in unique in being a tree shaded campground, next to a big sand beach. The trees were planted in the late 1960s by Nuevo Mazatlan founder Luis Castellanos Moreno. It is an oasis in the desert! We get there well before sundown and have time to just relax in our chairs before setting up the tent and air mattress inside. Later, a small fire is made with artificial logs and the early evening is peaceful and quiet. What a day this was!!!

Headlights approach, and we hear a Buenos noches, I reply with same then say, Javier? Si, Javier! The owner of Nuevo Mazatlan, Javier, since 1984 visits with us. I relate my history here at his camp and how Luis worked so hard growing this forest here by the beach before other camps lined this now occupied coastline. While talking with Javier in the dark, something very hot is on my left foot... but I am not near the fire??? It is tiny ants, and Elizabeth identifies them as Fire Ants. Fire indeed! It takes 4 days for the swelling and itching to end, after the burning the first night. Tea tree oil helps greatly, but Elizabeth hates the smell! We spray the tent base very well, and have no further problem with them. I just happened to be standing on a nest too long! What a day!!!

Camping is $20 per night, and that includes running water (faucets and sinks are piped throughout the campground), showers (not heated, that's not needed), and flush toilets. I made a web page to show the camp, a few years ago:
http://vivabaja.com/nm

Once the local dog stops barking, we sleep well. Home tomorrow!

[Edited on 7-3-2020 by David K]

Monday, July 27: Going Home!

David K - 8-2-2015 at 12:31 AM

Monday, July 27: I wake up to catch the sunrise over the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) and snap a photo, then a little more sleep before we get up for breakfast and pack up the truck, one final time for this trip.

A few shells from Shell Island, we leave here, and take only this photo.

One last photo of Campo Nuevo Mazatlan as we drive away.

We leave Nuevo Mazatlan (Km. 32) at 9:42 am. In San Felipe, I pull into the oldest station in town, which is on the right as you enter to the traffic circle from the Hwy. 5 south/ airport road. The price is for Magna (regular, 87 octane) is 13.57 pesos per liter. I get 65.85 liters for 880 pesos that took me 289.4 miles from Vizcaino to San Felipe. My truck got 17 mpg on this stretch, and that is great considering the heavy load, although lighter than the trip south. That Pemex station was taking dollars at 14:1 (pesos per dollar). Other San Felipe stations had 15:1 signs up.

There is one more military checkpoint to pass through, and it like the others at El Tomatal and Gonzaga, were great, with no inspection. The San Ignacio northbound experience was the only black eye on of the entire experience on this and all other previous Baja trips.

We decide to cross north at Mexicali instead of our usual Tecate northbound border. We get to the end of the line at 1:17 pm. The temperature is 104°F, and after mostly idling for half an hour or more, my temperature gauge climbs a bit above the normal place (but never into the red) and the AC no longer blows out cool air. We are tough, and turn it off and lower the windows. Elizabeth sees a lot of neat and different gifts being sold by the walking vendors.

About 3 blocks from the U.S. border crossing, we are shocked to see three men perform an act that could rival a circus performance! They create a human ladder and one man goes over the fence, using a rope or sheet to lower himself safely inside America. He then runs quickly into a Calexico back yard. The border patrol truck comes screaming to the fence and then zooms around the block. That's a first for us. I see other cars taking pictures with their cell phones or iPads.

Once at the border, we are asked what we are bringing back and waved inside the country at 2:29 pm. 1 hour and 12 minutes at downtown Mexicali/ Calexico. An early dinner or late lunch at Golden Acorn Casino was excellent. The $7.77 prime rib dinner with baked potato was yummy. We filled up the truck at the San Marcos Costco ($3.75/ gallon), 261.8 miles from the San Felipe fill up, getting 15.6 mpg. Pulled up to our garage at 6:22 pm. Total miles on the odometer since leaving here: 1,448 miles.

Conclusion:

The Good: Great beach days (except for the rain part); Visiting with Coco; Honest gas pumps (from what I could tell); Seeing the Magdalena site remains; La Huerta motel; The Food; News from Mark at Buenaventura; Alfonsina's restaurant; More!

The Bad: Rain soaking our clothes and pillows; tire pump fail; Mosquitos, beach bugs and Fire Ants!

The Ugly: Military checkpoint at San Ignacio, but just the one guy messing with us for laughs.

THE GOOD WINS!

[Edited on 7-3-2020 by David K]

David K - 8-2-2015 at 12:48 AM

I am happy to provide any other details or maps of this trip. Let me know. Everyone has different interests or information needs. The way I do trip reports is just put out the data and photos, as a lot of story telling isn't needed. Others write more colorfully than me. I am one who is more a detail guy posting mileage numbers, town spellings, etc.

I know there are a LOT of photos in this thread, but I took nearly 300, so these are just a sampling.

Here is one I forget to include, taken where the pavement ends, km. 170, south of Gonzaga...

Whale-ista - 8-2-2015 at 06:50 AM

Thank you for great photos and narrative. Good to be updated on condition of roads & future construction plans.

Overall sounds like a very fun trip!

Glad you didn't let one soldier with a strange sense of humor outweigh all the rest.

Ken Bondy - 8-2-2015 at 07:05 AM

Fantastic David!! Blown away!! Living vicariously through you!!!

TMW - 8-2-2015 at 07:50 AM

Excellent report David, thanks. I never had a military checkpoint guy do what they did to you. But at the ckpt north of Guerrero Negro one time they spend a lot of time on the passenger side looking down where the hood meets the windshield. Using a flashlight and even under the dash. They spent several minutes on it. I asked if they wanted the hood raised and they said no. Finally they let me go.

ehall - 8-2-2015 at 07:59 AM

Great report and pictures. It sucks they screwed with you guys for their own amusement but at least he was playing around and not seriously setting you up. Hope it didn't ruin your wife's trip.

sd - 8-2-2015 at 09:17 AM

Great report David! Sorry you were hassled. When La Paz police stopped me for $$ a few years ago it is hard not to be upset. Good news is nearly everyone appreciates the tourist and will assist us if needed.

Thanks for sharing your great trip report and photos!

Scot

AKgringo - 8-2-2015 at 09:41 AM

Well that downer at the inspection point wasn't so bad, this kind of went from cliff hanging, to stumbling on a curb! I think I would have been tempted to inspect the soles of my shoes and complain about the bovine excrement that I had stepped in. That might have gotten a smile out of the onlookers...or inspire a more thorough search!

I was beginning to wonder if you got your Tacoma stuck, and got rescued by some guy like me driving a Kia. THAT would haunt you forever!

Thanks for putting the time into your report.

Mexitron - 8-2-2015 at 10:22 AM

Nice report David! Must get back down there soon. Looks like a lot of fun....those checkpoints have been pretty straightforward for some years now, but I remember when when they were, um, less professional at times. Hope they're not sliding backwards.

David K - 8-2-2015 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Thank you for great photos and narrative. Good to be updated on condition of roads & future construction plans.

Overall sounds like a very fun trip!

Glad you didn't let one soldier with a strange sense of humor outweigh all the rest.

Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Bondy  
Fantastic David!! Blown away!! Living vicariously through you!!!

Wow Ken, that is so very kind of you to say!! You have the most awesome photos... I only wish I could take them half as well. I know a lot of people like the details to form the picture in their heads or just dig data like I do, so why not share it? It does no good staying in my little black trip notebook!

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Excellent report David, thanks. I never had a military checkpoint guy do what they did to you. But at the ckpt north of Guerrero Negro one time they spend a lot of time on the passenger side looking down where the hood meets the windshield. Using a flashlight and even under the dash. They spent several minutes on it. I asked if they wanted the hood raised and they said no. Finally they let me go.

I hope others just don't get worked up by extra inspecting or jerks. It is one thing to search your truck, but another to light up a piece of manure or plant seed off your floor mat, with a lighter, and say loudly "Marijuana!"

Great report and pictures. It sucks they screwed with you guys for their own amusement but at least he was playing around and not seriously setting you up. Hope it didn't ruin your wife's trip.

At the time it seemed very real that he was setting me up. What does a non-smoker do when the guy with a machine gun is saying that's marijuana? I wish I could have punched him in the face for the stress he put on me and Baja Angel!

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
Great report David! Sorry you were hassled. When La Paz police stopped me for $$ a few years ago it is hard not to be upset. Good news is nearly everyone appreciates the tourist and will assist us if needed.

Thanks for sharing your great trip report and photos!

Scot

Happy to Scot, thank you.

Well that downer at the inspection point wasn't so bad, this kind of went from cliff hanging, to stumbling on a curb! I think I would have been tempted to inspect the soles of my shoes and complain about the bovine excrement that I had stepped in. That might have gotten a smile out of the onlookers...or inspire a more thorough search!

I was beginning to wonder if you got your Tacoma stuck, and got rescued by some guy like me driving a Kia. THAT would haunt you forever!

Thanks for putting the time into your report.

Really? The Tacoma doesn't get stuck... I have tried! LOL

It was not fun to think you might have your whole life ruined, lose your truck, stress your wife, have 50 years of great Baja adventures thrown out the door, because of one ass soldier planting dope on you or just lying about what is in your truck. I would rather be haunted by the childish stuff posted then thrown in a Mexican jail!

You are welcome AK!

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Nice report David! Must get back down there soon. Looks like a lot of fun....those checkpoints have been pretty straightforward for some years now, but I remember when when they were, um, less professional at times. Hope they're not sliding backwards.

That's the great thing about Baja loving people... we can have hurricane force rainfall, hoards of mosquitos, crooked army inspectors, and it still looks like "a lot of fun" to us!!!

AKgringo - 8-2-2015 at 12:48 PM

David, I am sorry if my reply was too flippant, I thought from the text that you knew that guy was just messing with you, and the other soldiers weren't going along with it. It would be high stress for me too if I thought that I might be getting set up.

I also thought from your response to my first post on this thread that your trip was cut short by the consequences of some incident during the trip.. There were a lot of possibilities for trip ruining, or even life changing events, glad that you didn't have one.

Maybe some day our paths will cross down south, Viva Baja!

bajaguy - 8-2-2015 at 12:55 PM

At the time it seemed very real that he was setting me up. What does a non-smoker do when the guy with a machine gun is saying that's marijuana? I wish I could have punched him in the face for the stress he put on me and Baja Angel!

What you do is take photos of the event, leave your truck and your wife blocking the road and march up to the HQ trailer and demand to see the Sargento Primero or Commandante. Invite them to see the photos, inspect your truck and belongings, and take action against the soldato.

Nobody has to put up with that crap, call them on it.

Chupacabra - 8-2-2015 at 03:14 PM

Awesome trip report!

Most Americans don't know that posession of personal amounts of drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, and even heroin have been legal in Mexico since 2009.

So if a bored Army guy is fooling around with you again, don't sweat it!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/21/world/americas/21mexico.ht...

David K - 8-2-2015 at 03:46 PM

David, I am sorry if my reply was too flippant, I thought from the text that you knew that guy was just messing with you, and the other soldiers weren't going along with it. It would be high stress for me too if I thought that I might be getting set up.

I also thought from your response to my first post on this thread that your trip was cut short by the consequences of some incident during the trip.. There were a lot of possibilities for trip ruining, or even life changing events, glad that you didn't have one.

Maybe some day our paths will cross down south, Viva Baja!

No, not at all... no apology necessary amigo! I hope to meet you as well!

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

What you do is take photos of the event, leave your truck and your wife blocking the road and march up to the HQ trailer and demand to see the Sargento Primero or Commandante. Invite them to see the photos, inspect your truck and belongings, and take action against the soldato.

Nobody has to put up with that crap, call them on it.

Great idea! I think rather than make a federal case out of it, we just wanted to get out of there... we were on vacation, after all. I hope the people who actually live in Baja do follow through the way you suggest!

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  

Awesome trip report!

Most Americans don't know that posession of personal amounts of drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, and even heroin have been legal in Mexico since 2009.

I hope that also include possession in one's vehicle rather than only in one's home. A vehicle could be used for transportation of the substance and not personal use, if they wanted to interpret the law in a manner in which to bust you.

speaking of odd checkpoint inspections...

Whale-ista - 8-2-2015 at 04:06 PM

Just recalled that on a caravan trip to San Ignacio lagoon in late March, the car behind me was pulled over for an extensive search at Pta. Prieta, after I had been waved thru in my truck. There were 4 women in the other car (a Prius), on their first trip to see the whales. We had discussed the checkpoints, and how to interact with the soldiers, but this level of inspection looked unusual.

I stopped to wait and was ordered to proceed, so I pulled over a short distance ahead and watched carefully. We had hand held radios to communicate while driving, so after several minutes, once they were allowed to continue, I checked in and asked what had happened.

"Patchouli" came the response. Apparently the driver liked to use patchouli when camping, and when she rolled down the window the strange odor made the soldiers suspect marijuana.

Darn hippies. Can't take them anyplace...

Whale-ista - 8-2-2015 at 04:18 PM

Had to look that one up! LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patchouli

Fortunately, they also laughed it off. And we've already scheduled a return trip for 2016, with more Baja newbies interested in joining us.

When we start planning I'll remind them: leave the patchouli home. (Citronella seems ok)

Ken Cooke - 8-2-2015 at 06:43 PM

I'm sorry about the run-in you had at the military checkpoint. I have had my share, and it gets old real fast.

The tip about cleaning out your floor mats is a great one. But, if an inspector is going to mess with you, they usually do, because there isn't much else for them to do all day. Good to hear that Baja wins!

ADCELAND - 8-2-2015 at 06:58 PM

Thank's David for this photo and how to describe your trip.... It's a long time that I don't go to Alfonsinas.... I am little surprised for the accomodation on the beach..... :D

[Edited on 8-3-2015 by ADCELAND]

David K - 8-2-2015 at 08:41 PM

The motel on the beach at Alfonsina's has been there over 16 years. It is a great location!

David K - 8-3-2015 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I'm sorry about the run-in you had at the military checkpoint. I have had my share, and it gets old real fast.

The tip about cleaning out your floor mats is a great one. But, if an inspector is going to mess with you, they usually do, because there isn't much else for them to do all day. Good to hear that Baja wins!

Baja ALWAYS wins! :light:;):cool:

dizzyspots - 8-3-2015 at 03:09 PM

Thanks again Dave for an excellent report...headed back down to GB this weekend to help a buddy service his solar system...then again for a fall trip in October...food has always been great at Alfonsina's...seems like the pavement brought higher prices...but when ya spend $20 for a couple of #2 meals at the golden arches..shrimp and cold cervezas ON THE BEACH doesnt seem so bad...safe travels Amigo!

JoeJustJoe - 8-3-2015 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  

Awesome trip report!

You could still be arrested if a Mexican cop finds marijuana, nothing has really changed, if a cop see with with marijuana, you could be arrested.

Now convictions is another matter, if you have a small amount of marijuana, less than about 5 grams, or about four joints, or coke, less than 500 mg, or about four lines. The judge will determine, if the drugs were for personal use or if you're using the drugs for trafficking and distribution, and what he determines decides if your walk or not. The drug conviction rate is very low in Mexico.

If the judge determined the drugs are for personal use, you were be directed to drug treatment centers, but you're not forced to seek drug treatment at this point, but you will get the information.

There are some people out there, giving false information, claiming that if you're an American, caught with any drug, regardless of the amount, that you will be sent to prison, because you're an American, and not a Mexican citizen with roots in the country and therefore, you could not complete a drug treatment program.....so off to jail for you!

That's wrong, there is nothing out there that says, Americans are treated different than Mexicans if caught with drugs. Although, if you're going to do drugs, do it one side of the border or the other, don't get caught crossing the border with any amount of drugs.

I believe it's not until the 3rd arrest, that Mexicans caught with small amount of drugs, are directed or forced into drug treatment.

Since 2009 I have always wondered about this law, because I see people and hear of people in Mexico still getting arrested for a small amount of drugs, although it's has been decriminalized for years.

StuckSucks - 8-3-2015 at 03:31 PM

He then takes a cigarette lighter out of his pocket and lights the tiny object, and it smokes, and he says “Marijuana!” To which I state very clearly, no marijuana, I don’t smoke cigarettes or marijuana”.

HOLY CRAP! Sobering story! What scares me is that my floor mats look like yours - always covered with rocks and sticks and sand and pieces of plants. Whatever lives in Baja seems to get tracked into my truck. And carrying a hand-held shop vac is not an option - I'll have to take what they throw at me.

Ateo - 8-3-2015 at 03:37 PM

Dude, we just covered a lot of the same ground! Got back today. Thanks for the report. That San Ignacio check point can be a pain sometimes. I had a soldier do the same thing to me years ago, saying I had a small speck of mota on my floor mat. I didn't think he was kidding, but he eventually did let us go.

ncampion - 8-3-2015 at 03:51 PM

It seems that the San Ignacio check is always the most thorough. Don't think we have ever gotten a "wave through" Northbound and they always look everywhere. They usually stop Southbound for at least a little chat. They probably don't realize that a joke about dope strikes fear in the heart of most gringos.

David K - 8-3-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
He then takes a cigarette lighter out of his pocket and lights the tiny object, and it smokes, and he says “Marijuana!” To which I state very clearly, no marijuana, I don’t smoke cigarettes or marijuana”.

HOLY CRAP! Sobering story! What scares me is that my floor mats look like yours - always covered with rocks and sticks and sand and pieces of plants. Whatever lives in Baja seems to get tracked into my truck. And carrying a hand-held shop vac is not an option - I'll have to take what they throw at me.

I recommend taking out the floor mats (if you have them) and shaking the gravel, shell bits, weed pieces (not necessarily marijuana weed) from the driver's (and passenger's) feet area. Your shoes do track in EVERYTHING you walked over, including somebody else's dropped buds (or whatever the dope smokers call it)! A small hand broom or brush to sweep out the floorboard is a good idea. Keeping our Tacomas clean on the inside is not a bad thing!

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Dude, we just covered a lot of the same ground! Got back today. Thanks for the report. That San Ignacio check point can be a pain sometimes. I had a soldier do the same thing to me years ago, saying I had a small speck of mota on my floor mat. I didn't think he was kidding, but he eventually did let us go.

Dude, what's a haps? Yes, I saw your Laguna Chapala photo and it would have been fun to bump into you guys! It's been awhile since we talked at the Chevron on Emerald! Did you get a new Toyota since then? We need a Viva Baja party again so we can socialize north of the border!

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
It seems that the San Ignacio check is always the most thorough. Don't think we have ever gotten a "wave through" Northbound and they always look everywhere. They usually stop Southbound for at least a little chat. They probably don't realize that a joke about dope strikes fear in the heart of most gringos.

I was more annoyed that he claimed I was not being truthful. He began with "Marijuana?" before he had me get out. Maybe my eyes were red after sleeping in that room at Rice & Beans???

When he picked up that tiny thing and then lit it, well I was then concerned he could plant dope on my truck in order to confiscate it. Everyone in Mexico wants an Off Road 4x4 Toyota, right? :O :rolleyes:

I have not had a problem there before. The Loreto area checkpoint, northbound was always more serious (to me).

Sorry we missed you at the hot rod show in Vista, yesterday! If you are still in the area tomorrow, give me a call or u2u.

Maybe it was training day!

AKgringo - 8-3-2015 at 05:36 PM

For me at least, the most thorough inspection I went through with three trips to La Paz over three years, was at Gonzaga! (includes US as well) This was just before thanksgiving 2014 headed north.

They weren't messing with me, it was polite, professional, and even friendly, but thorough! One of the soldiers even volunteered to hold my dog's leash while I dug into the trailer.

I wish I had a picture of that, a soldier with an M-16 on his shoulder holding my 15 year old dog on a short leash like she was part of the search team! Oh, by the way, she did not find anything for them.

Sorry for the hijack Dave, now back to your trip!

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by AKgringo]

David K - 8-3-2015 at 05:49 PM

For me at least, the most thorough inspection I went through with three trips to La Paz over three years, was at Gonzaga! (includes US as well) This was just before thanksgiving 2014 headed north.

They weren't messing with me, it was polite, professional, and even friendly, but thorough! One of the soldiers even volunteered to hold my dog's leash while I dug into the trailer.

I wish I had a picture of that, a soldier with an M-16 on his shoulder holding my 15 year old dog on a short leash like she was part of the search team! Oh, by the way, she did not find anything for them.

Sorry for the hijack Dave, now back to your trip!

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by AKgringo]

No problema AKgringo... I am done with the trip report, so any related sidebars are fine...

Gonzaga has been maybe the most detailed Baja Norte searches for us, at least when it was a dirt road... as if they are bored and we are drive up entertainment? They always wanted to see my driver's license, or a passport works too (to spell my name right, not that either of those IDs are 'needed' by the military, anywhere).

Last week, I think we were asked to get out of the Tacoma, but real briefly.

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by David K]

bajaandy - 8-3-2015 at 09:22 PM

Nice photo essay DK. Thanks for the ride along.

BajaRun - 8-4-2015 at 07:26 AM

David K, did you ever read the trip report on RDC by Kent Kroeker regarding the planting of a Military Ammunition round in his truck? Very scary !!!

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/mexico-warning-mili...

David K - 8-4-2015 at 08:38 AM

Not before this morning. Thanks for the link.

tunaeater - 8-4-2015 at 11:02 AM

I was very lucky one trip to Baja a few years ago.

During this trip we went through six different military checkpoints and spent a week down South. After crossing the border back in the US we hit a fast food drive thru. I dropped some change in the truck and my son took off his seat belt, got on the floor and began looking for the change.

What he found while down on the floor was six rounds of 12 gauge shot. We all looked at each other like WTF!!! My heart started racing and beating like crazy knowing what could of happened had these been found while traveling in Baja.

I'm usually very thorough inspecting,cleaning my truck before our trips but somehow missed this ammo. We had been hunting upland game the weekend before this trip and some of the rounds must have fallen on the floor without us noticing. Anyway lesson learned for me to double, triple check especially during bird season.

David K - 8-5-2015 at 08:04 AM

Funny what they miss, or in your case lucky!!!

motoged - 8-5-2015 at 09:49 AM

David,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us....

I was eager to take the bait on the "experience"....but was a bit disappointed with the drama :biggrin: ....as I was expecting a stolen vehicle, assault, robbery, or serious carnitas poisoning :lol:

One young soldier at the checkpoint north of San Felipe (going north) checked my truck w/ moto in back....he held a long wire that looked a lot like a straightened close hanger and was enjoying inserting it in the stake holes in the box, in the window slot in the doors, and in various openings behind the seats....each time pulling it out slowly and sniffing the end of the wire ....and looking at me with a smile.....

Perhaps he was waiting to see the terror in my eyes....but I just watched him, smiled back, and waited out his game.....we both had a little fun.

I guess if a person has seeds in their truck SOB, it means they are burning low-quality evidence....sin semilla is better for such basura being left behind ...at least that's what I have been told :saint:

JohnK - 8-5-2015 at 06:23 PM

What a great trip report, David. Well-written and with great photographs! My wife and I both have read it thoroughly. Your inspection experience was awful. A point that I think needs to be made is that for Baja newbies, an experience like that is a deal-breaker. I don't know how many people I've told about our wonderful Baja experiences, only to hear a story similar to yours. And they don't go back. Anyway: Thanks for your wonderful report.

ehall - 8-5-2015 at 07:29 PM

Was the guy still living in the sailboat in front of alfonsinas ?

BajaBlanca - 8-6-2015 at 02:48 AM

scary story about the military checkpoint. not a joking matter at all!

thanks for sharing the joys and the sorrows.....great tale,
great photos.

Pablito1 - 8-6-2015 at 07:16 AM

About 20 years ago my wife and I were headed south and were stopped at the check point at Maneadero. After checking us out and being waved through we traveled a few minutes and I just happened to look on the left corner of the dash. There in plane sight was one of those ammo folders to carry rifle ammo. Inside were five 22/250 and five 300 mag cartridges. We both almost had a heart attack.

Needless to say this "contrabando" was dumped pronto.

Regards, Pablo

David K - 8-6-2015 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaandy  
Nice photo essay DK. Thanks for the ride along.

De nada Andy!

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
Thanks for sharing your trip with us....

You're welcome Ged!

Quote: Originally posted by JohnK  
What a great trip report, David. Well-written and with great photographs! My wife and I both have read it thoroughly. Your inspection experience was awful. A point that I think needs to be made is that for Baja newbies, an experience like that is a deal-breaker. I don't know how many people I've told about our wonderful Baja experiences, only to hear a story similar to yours. And they don't go back. Anyway: Thanks for your wonderful report.

I am so glad you both enjoy the details! It makes the note taking well worth it. Fun for me to document my trips and maybe useful for others to read how far, how long, how much, etc.

I also like to capture areas that were photo graphed many years ago and try and spot growth of cardons and boojums. You can pick out a couple changes in the pictures taken at El Portezuelo (south of Chapala) since the photos we took there in July, 1973!

Was the guy still living in the sailboat in front of alfonsinas ?

Hi Ed, nobody said anything to us about any guy on a sailboat. We just had our dinner and beers there.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
scary story about the military checkpoint. not a joking matter at all!

thanks for sharing the joys and the sorrows.....great tale,
great photos.

Thanks Blanca! Are you guys in Europe still? You have been posting some great photos!

Quote: Originally posted by Pablito1  
About 20 years ago my wife and I were headed south and were stopped at the check point at Maneadero. After checking us out and being waved through we traveled a few minutes and I just happened to look on the left corner of the dash. There in plane sight was one of those ammo folders to carry rifle ammo. Inside were five 22/250 and five 300 mag cartridges. We both almost had a heart attack.

Needless to say this "contrabando" was dumped pronto.

Regards, Pablo

Just to be clear, it was your ammo and not left there by the military at a checkpoint, right?

Pablito1 - 8-6-2015 at 10:08 PM

David,
For sure it was mine. I somehow just didn't see it. That is the kind of mistake that you don't want to make but I did.

Regards, Pablo

David K - 8-6-2015 at 11:32 PM

Lucky are you Pablo, lucky are you... ;)

4Cata - 8-6-2015 at 11:41 PM

When we drove south years ago, stopping as one must, at the Eagle/Aguila statue which straddles the north/south Baja border, I tried to take pix but the soldados came running with guns in hands, saying, no photos, it's a military outpost, not just a unique statue. Is that still true or have they relaxed a bit? They examined our car by opening our books and maps and all pockets in the car. Dummy us didn't understand they wanted a tip. Folks later said to leave the travel book on the seat with a 20 peso bill sticking out to make them happy. Is that still going on, too?

David K - 8-6-2015 at 11:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4Cata  
When we drove south years ago, stopping as one must, at the Eagle/Aguila statue which straddles the north/south Baja border, I tried to take pix but the soldados came running with guns in hands, saying, no photos, it's a military outpost, not just a unique statue. Is that still true or have they relaxed a bit? They examined our car by opening our books and maps and all pockets in the car. Dummy us didn't understand they wanted a tip. Folks later said to leave the travel book on the seat with a 20 peso bill sticking out to make them happy. Is that still going on, too?

While the middle of the traffic circle around the monument was converted into a military base (instead of a museum and a future agricultural city center, as originally planned), I have never seen troops, nor can you with the walls and trees that make seeing the impressive monument most difficult today.

NEVER, never bribe anyone in Mexico... that's just dumb and makes them think we are just easy or stupid, and will encourage them to expect that kind of behavior from the rest of us.

30 years or more ago, we would ask the policeman if he could pay the ticket for us, if we were pulled over for breaking a law, in order to avoid a detour to the police station to pay it there. That was never more than $20, and I think I did that just twice in my life? Now-a-days, if you did break the law, go to the station, the fines are way smaller than in the U.S.. If you didn't and the cop is trying to scare you with talk of jail time, etc., call his bluff and insist on seeing the judge! He will let you go or pull over enroute to the station, and return your license... and seek easier prey!

4Cata - 8-7-2015 at 12:00 AM

Loved your report and photos. Really, really sorry about the fire ants. Have had a similar experience. Do you think a class C rv could make most of the trip? I'm headed down from San Felipe to Mulege at least in November, definitely want to include San Ignacio.

David K - 8-7-2015 at 12:41 AM

I cannot recommend any motorhome or trailer (other than off road cargo trailers) between Coco's Corner and Hwy. 1 (13 miles). Actually, the 10 dirt miles north of Coco's should be avoided, as there is construction and detours are possible. Not that it needs 4WD, but that the roadbed is VERY rocky (south of Coco's)... and you would need to just drive so slow.
Sorry, go light and camp or use motels if you want to do Hwy. 5 to the south.

Even in my Off Road TRD Tacoma with new rear suspension, I had to drop to 10-20 mph for much of that section. 36 minutes to go 13 roughest miles. It was an hour and twenty minutes for the entire 23 dirt miles drive.

chippy - 8-7-2015 at 07:18 PM

I didn´t think that short stretch of gravel road was that bad. I saw a number of passenger cars doing it. This was around the same time as you. Of course this was after doing the La Paz-Punta Evaristo-Ciudad Constitucion then the El Arco-San Francisquito-Bahia de LA routes:cool:.

I wouldn´t hesitate with a trailer or Motorhome if properly outfitted (tires). Its a very short stretch and there are lots of vehicles and people around for help if needed.

rts551 - 8-7-2015 at 07:32 PM

People have been saying to go slow for a year now (at least on other baja news sites). There is a lot of traffic including cars and semi's. It is well traveled but rough.
 Pages:  1