BajaNomad

Moving to Cabo - 1st time driving down

CaliChica - 8-1-2015 at 10:21 PM

We're going for it. Just quit our jobs, rented our house and are in the middle of getting rid of most everything we won't need in Cabo.
We will be driving down at the end of August- 2 people, 2 dogs, Subaru Outback pulling a small 4x8 trailer which we have no experience driving yet.
Driving from Orange County in the early morning likely through San Ysidro.

Can someone recommend good stopping points on the way? We are not in a real hurry but want to get as far from the border as possible the first day.

All advice is welcome. I am excited and nervous and can't wait until the end of the month!

David K - 8-1-2015 at 10:51 PM

San Quintin has Jardines, about 4-5 hours from border and El Rosario has Baja Cactus, 5-6 hours/ 225 miles from border. Both are excellent motels with restaurants there or next door.

San Ignacio has the La Huerta motel and it is the best deal we found, new, and comfortable. An easy walk to the plaza for food... about 300 miles from El Rosario.

Others can recommend places in Loreto, your next short hop south... we liked the Coco Cabanas there a few years ago.

BajaBlanca - 8-2-2015 at 03:22 AM

main advice is never drive at night and take it real slow on highway 1.

good luck on your new adventure!

let us know how it all went once you are settled down.

welcome to the land of tacos, fish, sun and manyana.....

willyAirstream - 8-2-2015 at 06:27 AM

4x8 trailer sounds like a small utility trailer. Don`t overload it, make sure it is up to the task, ck or repack the wheel bearings, carry a spare and avoid potholes.
If you stay in Mulege, stay at the Hotel Mulege, left side just after the arch entrance to town. Do not go further as it is a PIA with a trailer, or stay at Cuesta Real on the hwy just south of town, km marker 132. Both allow dogs, Hotel Mulege may want a dog damage deposit.

DaliDali - 8-2-2015 at 07:18 AM

Make sure the AC on your Outback is working good and blows cold air.

Once you get beyond El Rosario (220 miles from TJ) the temps are going to rise quickly......to 100 and more!!

Once you drop down off the hill into Santa Rosalia, the humidity will gag you....it was 76% humidity in Loreto at 6:30 AM this morning (sunday) and the air temp was 86.

Make sure ALL the tires (trailer included) are in tip top shape.
The heat over black pavement at 100 degrees will kill a weak tire quicker than anything.

Keep a close watch on Baja weather systems that might be brewing up....late August is prime time hurricane/trop storm season.
Stranded at a flooded arroyo for days is no fun.

Otay Mesa or Tecate

bajaguy - 8-2-2015 at 08:42 AM

If you try crossing with the trailer full of your "stuff" you might get sent to the Otay Mesa crossing and will deal with Aduna (Mexican Customs) and possible duty fees.

You might consider just initially crossing at Otay and save yourself some time and trouble, or possibly crossing at Tecate, where Aduna can be somewhat less strict.

Don't forget your Mexican auto insurance from Bajabound (see banner above) and also stop to get your FMM at the border.

mtnpop - 8-2-2015 at 09:23 AM

Agree with the watch the weather that time of year... many of the bigger storms have been late Aug and early Sept... and they raise havoc with the ole Mex 1..... in lots of places...
The other thought is to get plenty of pesos before coming south.. pay for gas, motel, food with that.... and don't put a big wad of it in your wallet.
So if you get stopped for some strange reason your negotiation is I only have this much sir..... Keep the rest well secure.....
Watch the topes. many, many speed bumps in most of the little towns.. they can wreak havoc on the trailer hitch and axle... and the one part of the highway no one told us about was hell's kitchen drop before coming down to Santa Rosalia... good highway but no guard rails and really steep with tight turns.....
Other than that,,, relax, enjoy the scenery, taco stands, and have a safe trip....
The 6 or so military checkpoints before you get to Loreto are usually easy peasy... usually when going south... only had one ask for chocolate...

AKgringo - 8-2-2015 at 10:21 AM

Let's talk about your trailer! First of all, remember to tell the insurance broker that you will be pulling one.

How much weight will you be hauling? A small SUV like your Subaru will be challenged on some of the grades you will drive, especially if you are running AC.

Larger tires are better, I run 15 inch passenger car tires that I am able to run at lower pressure to soften the ride (and my load is not very heavy).

I suggest you load up the trailer and go for a long test drive in CA before you head south. Be sure to include some secondary roads with long grades, and do it on a hot day.

Balance matters. Too much tongue weight and the tow vehicle handling suffers. Not enough, and the trailer may tend to wag a bit. I use air bags in the coils on my Kia because my trailer is naturally tongue heavy because of the axle being toward the rear more than most trailers. I like the result.

I also travel with a large dog, and don't use the AC unless I am in slow traffic areas (it really affects my engine performance!). I stop often to give her water, and wet her down with whatever she doesn't drink, and that helps a lot. I capture the water from melting ice in my chest for this purpose.

Have a fun, but not too eventful trip down!

Alm - 8-2-2015 at 10:49 AM

I would wait until the end of September, it's cooler then, and you'll be skirting the rainy season. Washed out roads is a fact of life, every September.

But, if you have to move out now...

Define what is "not in a real hurry". Like, as many days as it takes? Then I would plan on covering no more than 250-300 miles per day. You average speed will be 50 mph or less, considering trailer, unknown road, less than perfect road condition sometimes, military check-points etc.

The first day is the easiest. You'll spend a bit of time at the border - they will want to see the trailer contents. The toll road to Ensenada is fast and easy, takes less than 1.5 hours with toll stops. I would plan the first night in San Quntin area, about 250 miles from the border. Plenty of hotels in varying range of prices. Unless your "trailer" is the one that you can sleep in - then I would stop at one of the camps in the area. A good one is Posada Don Diego, quieter and cheaper than hotel.

Next stop - probably Guerrero Negro, 270 miles leg. Then - Mulege or Loreto. Then - don't know, don't go there, not my cup of tea.

Hell's drop (questa del infierno) before Sta Rosalia is much talked about. More than it's worth. Road paving is good. Yes, it's a steep downhill. Use your common sense, you don't need to fly at 60 mph when you can't see further than 20 yards ahead. Nobody is waiting for you at the finish line with champagne and flowers.

Edit - PS: people mentioned going through Otay. Not sure this will save you any time. They have full customs service in San Ysidro, the only thing that they don't do there, is TIP stickers for boats.

With a 4ft wide trailer you can go through any gate. They will stop you and send for secondary inspection - no big deal if all you have is a regular household stuff. Make a list in English and Spanish, ex. chair - silla, lamp - lampara etc. If you have Menaje de Casa for permanent residents, you won't have problems, if you don't - then they will make you pay some tax.

[Edited on 8-2-2015 by Alm]

SFandH - 8-2-2015 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Make sure ALL the tires (trailer included) are in tip top shape.

That's excellent advice. It's been my experience that flat tires are much more likely in baja than in the states. Does your vehicle have a full size spare? If not you might consider getting one. Also, be prepared to change a tire on dirt or gravel. I carry a one foot long piece of a 2 x 12 board to put under the jack and I also have an extra bottle jack. Have a good set of tools with you that has everything you need to change a tire including a good lug wrench that gives you plenty of leverage. Perhaps a cheater bar.

To give you an idea of the difference between baja and the states as far as flats go, I actually got a flat once by a cactus spine penetrating the side wall when I was off road. And this was in a big 3/4 ton pickup tire. The guy who fixed the tire pulled the spine out from the inside with a needle nose pliers and showed it to me. Tough cactus down there.

David K - 8-2-2015 at 11:10 AM

I think it helps to visualize the many Baja places being discussed.

50 mph is an average trip speed without a trailer, so I would drop the figure to 40-45 with a trailer. Do not rush it, the Baja highway south of San Quintin drops to just 19 feet wide and is used by 18 wheelers, big busses, motorhomes pulling boat trailers, and there are many curves that the long truck/trailer rigs cannot stay on their side of the line!

The road is also often up on a levee, with NO shoulders, and no pull offs for long distances.

mtnpop - 8-2-2015 at 11:13 AM

Forgot to mention,,, when you drop into El Rosario there is a Pemix station on the left,,, pull in and top off your tank no mater what your gauge says... It's almost 200 moles to the next Pemix and you are pulling a trailer hence less gas mileage.. you should know how far you can go on a tank with your rig...
You can get it from roadside folks at Catavinia but don't know the cost or quality from drums and 5 gallon cans..
Someone will be sure to post the actual mileage from El Rosario to Jesus Maria...
first time experience, we had 4 liters in the tank when we got to jesus Maria our first time pulling a 5th wheel... pucker time...

Alm - 8-2-2015 at 01:22 PM

All good comments. Though the OP post was not too clear where they asked about "recommended stopping points". Could mean many different things. Top-star hotels or restaurants, for example. Though this doesn't matter because on a trip that long and on the road that difficult (in many places) the most important thing is to arrive safely where you want to, and without getting tired.

Always - ALWAYS - obey traffic signs on this road, especially when it says to slow down. If it says 40 kmh, this is 25 mph, and this is how fast you should go. Because there can be sharp turn, or unmarked Topez, or Vado. If it doesn't tell how many Kmh, but only Disminuje tu velocidad (Slow down), then slow down even where it looks all straight and smooth. Couple of times I slowed down only because 8-wheeler in front of me did - and was happy that I did, because there were unmarked Topez.

CaliChica - 8-2-2015 at 04:02 PM

Thanks to all the Nomads for the excellent advice. I wanted to get a good understanding of how far to plan to go each day and where to stay for the nights. I really appreciate the replies.

This may help?

David K - 8-2-2015 at 04:06 PM

Mileage Chart.jpg - 213kB

Alm - 8-3-2015 at 10:25 AM

That's a good map. have it on my hard drive, never remember those distances. Though, when driving same route every time, you only need to remember your usual stops.

One more thing. The highway is all straight (besides many-many sharp turns, obviously). But when going through Ensenada downtown, you will have to make 2 turns in order to stay on the main drag. Left, and then Right. They are marked Hwy 1, or Transpeninsular, or whatever. Check Google Maps to see.

desertcpl - 8-3-2015 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
4x8 trailer sounds like a small utility trailer. Don`t overload it, make sure it is up to the task, ck or repack the wheel bearings, carry a spare and avoid potholes.
If you stay in Mulege, stay at the Hotel Mulege, left side just after the arch entrance to town. Do not go further as it is a PIA with a trailer, or stay at Cuesta Real on the hwy just south of town, km marker 132. Both allow dogs, Hotel Mulege may want a dog damage deposit.

I agree with Willy on the trailer,, I know first hand it could be night mare for you if the trailer is not up to the task,, Baja roads are no USA roads, period, if you are really newbies, do yourself a favor and have your trailer inspected by some one ( company)
that has experience in these matters, you should have plenty where you live,,, and traveling for the first time with a trailer in August,, again asking for trouble IMHO

CaliChica - 8-4-2015 at 10:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will have to get the trailer checked out before heading south. I'm also planning to get an air pump, good jack, tire iron, and bring a board to for the jack. I was also thinking about getting some Slime in case of a tire leak. Does anyone have experience with it? Is there anything else I should get? We will have a gas can, water and fire extinguisher. The Outback is new but I'll bring it for a check as well.

Now if I could only find a house with an ocean view...;)

Hook - 8-4-2015 at 11:52 PM

Your Sub probably came with a bottle or scissors jack. That's fine for a small utility trailer, provided you have a good base for it in soft surfaces.

Slime is best added as a preventative, BEFORE a leak. It does work good, for that.

Fix-a-Flat is an example of a product that works AFTER a leak.

Do try loosening up your lug nuts on the trailer BEFORE you leave. Best to find out they are frozen, BEFORE you leave.

You do have a spare tire for the trailer, right?

woody with a view - 8-5-2015 at 06:13 AM

don't get bogged down with gas cans and tons of other junk. keep a cold 6 pack of beer handy and if you get a flat or any other problems just park where its safe (even on the highway if you can't get off the road) and set the beer on your hood while you wait. it won't be long before someone stops to assist.

willyAirstream - 8-5-2015 at 06:18 AM

Slime has a small kit containing patches, plugs and the tools to insert the plugs, as well as an air hose all in a small bag..

Hook - 8-5-2015 at 06:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Slime has a small kit containing patches, plugs and the tools to insert the plugs, as well as an air hose all in a small bag..

Wow, I've never seen that. I bought a gallon about two years ago (for tubeless tires, which is what she wants) and nothing like that came with it.

I did just ad some Slime to an ATV tire that had developed a medium fast leak around an earlier tire plug. It stopped it.

Alm - 8-5-2015 at 10:16 AM

Does Slime have any expiration date? I had a bottle, after 3 years in storage (though opened once) at normal temperature the slime thickened into a big lump in the middle of the bottle. Had to throw it out.

Cliffy - 8-5-2015 at 11:24 AM

Just to add to the wheel lug nuts comment- try to loosen all the wheel nuts before you leave and retighten them to the right spec. I have had shops tighten them so tight that I bent a 2 foot breaker bar trying to get them off. You don't want to find this out down there in the middle of no where. On the other hand, there are many llanteras even in remote areas that can fix flats and MAY have some kind of old tire that will work to get you down the road. I've used them and while they seem iffy way out in the boonies, many times they are quiet good. Had one change a tire on the rim with hand tools only and he was done in less that 4 mins. Heck of a good tire monkey.
Trailer tires (and car tires) need to be as good as they can be. New or near new preferably. Have seen many problems with old tires even if they has lots of tread.
Watch out for pot holes on the inside of right hand turns because of the trailer. It will track closer to the edge than the car and possibly drop into a big one. There is one big one on the last down hill into Muleje on the right hand turn that will eat a trailer axle :-(.

travel

boagey - 8-7-2015 at 08:01 PM

Is your time frame the same? We are crossing Sunday.

Boagey

junevjohnson - 8-19-2015 at 07:23 AM

If you're driving, make sure you have auto insurance as soon as you cross the border. Typically, your U.S. coverage won't cover you in Mexico. Welcome home!

Hurricane Rick - 8-26-2015 at 08:30 PM

All really good advice. I would also consider carrying- 1 leaf spring, 1 shackle , 1 equalizer 1 wheel bearing.

A lock for the trailer doors and a lock for the trailer tongue.

A good set of tools, test light and an extra bulb for the trailer.

Tire plug kit and small air compressor is valuable item to have.

Drive safe, watch for cows, horses and goats when you least expect it and stop for tacos whenever you can.

CaliChica - 9-4-2015 at 02:53 PM

We are here in Cabo! Thanks to all the Nomads who gave advice, guidance and support. We crossed the border in TJ and were the only ones getting visas at 7:30 Monday morning. Stayed in El Rosario, San Ignacio, and Cd Constitution. Only a minor hassle at one of the military checkpoints in La Paz. The policia wanted to ticket us for not having our two dogs in crates. He let us go after a lot of 'no comprendes' and showing him our pet certificates and trip plans.
I will do a proper trip report with pictures when we move into our permanent place. We are staying at Los Patios in the meantime. Got an amazing rate on booking.com. Thanks again to all.

Moving to Puerto San Carlos

kathyday1851 - 9-7-2015 at 04:40 PM

single retired female moving to Puerto San Carlos by end of Aug. Anyone heading down that direction who wants to caravan?

Any suggestions on what do before I get there?

Anyone been there and can tell me how it was?

willyAirstream - 9-7-2015 at 05:02 PM

August 2016?

here is some pics
https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/23740+Puerto+San+Carlos...

You will get more replies if you start your own thread. This thread is about Cabo and won't attract people that may know about San Carlos