BajaNomad

Using an Unlocked iPhone in BCS

wiltonh - 8-4-2015 at 09:24 AM

Here is some information about using an unlocked iPhone in BCS. This was written in the spring of 2015 so things do change over time. We spend the winter in La Ventana so La Paz is where we go to purchase Telcel SIM cards.

http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/Baja/Telcel_Info.html

StuckSucks - 8-4-2015 at 12:21 PM

I've always had success buying/adding time to a Telcel card from mexicosimcards.com on Amazon. Works as advertised and speedy service (should it be needed). iPhone 5, unlocked Verizon.

pauldavidmena - 8-4-2015 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I've always had success buying/adding time to a Telcel card from mexicosimcards.com on Amazon. Works as advertised and speedy service (should it be needed). iPhone 5, unlocked Verizon.

I agree that buying a Telcel card from MexicoSIMCards.com couldn't be easier, and it's a great way to order a card online in the U.S. The only caveat is that the cards only come with a Mexico City phone number. Some people in BCS might not answer a call from an unknown number in DF.

The last time I was in Todos Santos, I picked up a Telcel card at a local tienda and put it into a cheap unlocked phone. Between that and my T-Mobile phone I'm far more connected than I need to be.

weebray - 8-4-2015 at 01:53 PM

Beware of Telcel scam. We were adding pesos to our account regularly and it would seem to disappear. Finally we went to the main office (satellite "sales" stores cannot help you) and complained. OH! sez the Telcel rep, "you signed up for Club Hotline and that costs 30 pesos a week." Very long story involving the manager and several reps but they claimed we sent a text asking to join "Club Hotline". The fact that we don't know how to text anyone did not faze them. One of the rep's did say that sometimes Club Hotline sends you an offer to join and if you press the wrong button you're in for 30 pesos a week. We asked what number to press to decline and how do we ID the company. "They change the numbers all the time so I can't tell you that" was her reply. BTW, she could print out a copy of our bill, not free, but it would only cover the time period since our last purchase of minuets. She said they do not keep any history of our calls and charges to our bill. We objected to their shady business practices and they gave us the number for Profeco (018008304447) the same people that work hard keeping the gas pumps honest. We're not whining here, just thought you may want to check your account if it seems like your pesos are slipping away.

StuckSucks - 8-4-2015 at 02:03 PM

Whoa - these people are scam big time. With their sim, you can call, uh, girls. Big sleeze. Referring to Club Hotline.

Social engineering, eh?

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by StuckSucks]

[Edited on 8-4-2015 by StuckSucks]

[Edited on 8-5-2015 by StuckSucks]

wiltonh - 8-4-2015 at 04:17 PM

One more note. T-Mobile has just added Canada and Mexico as a free calling area. The plan cost $50 for one phone and $80 for two phones. You get unlimited calling, texts and 1 Gig each of data. The data is also available in Mexico.

In the past they had a free plan with Movistar but their coverage was not all that good. The new plan is connected to Telcel which should make it a lot easier to get on.

The first time I asked if Telcel was a partner, they told me that it was confidential. I asked another person if I took a phone with their plan to Mexico in a area that was only covered by Telcel, would it work. The answer was yes.

T Mobile plan and Google FI

lanesykes - 8-16-2015 at 11:31 PM

The new TMobile calling plan is great. TMobile expects you to use the phone 75% of the time in the US. This may vary depending on who you ask at TMobile. Last year it was 90 days. In 2013 it was 6 weeks.

bajaunbob - 8-30-2015 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wiltonh  
"The Telcel store in the Mega parking lot in La Paz seems to have some of the best technical people and is where I have gotten my Verizon iPhone 5 chipped."

http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/Baja/Telcel_Info.html
Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I always go to the big Telcel store behind the Burger King in the City Club parking lot - is this the store you're referring to? I don't know about a Telcel store in the Mega parking lot. Please set me straight. Thanks!

wiltonh - 8-31-2015 at 02:16 PM

I have used the one near City Club also but found that they were not as good as the one near Mega. It is on the left side of the parking lot when facing from the street. It sits back under a second story porch so it is not real obvious.

I am sure that their technicians change from year to year so who knows what the future holds. Last winter they seemed to be the best.

bajaunbob - 9-3-2015 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lanesykes  
The new TMobile calling plan is great. TMobile expects you to use the phone 75% of the time in the US. This may vary depending on who you ask at TMobile. Last year it was 90 days. In 2013 it was 6 weeks.
And AT&T's GoPhone plan has this restriction: "Primary usage must be in U.S. Calls, texts, and data usage in and from Mexico or Canada cannot exceed 50% of usage or service may be terminated. U.S. residents only."

So, as a gringo spending the winter (Nov-Mar) in Baja, I question whether any of these "No Borders" plans are useful since it appears my service would be terminated at any time while in Baja.

Anyone have any long-term (5-6 months) experience using these plans in Baja? Has anyone been terminated?

bajaunbob - 9-3-2015 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wiltonh  
I have used the one near City Club also but found that they were not as good as the one near Mega. It is on the left side of the parking lot when facing from the street. It sits back under a second story porch so it is not real obvious.

I am sure that their technicians change from year to year so who knows what the future holds. Last winter they seemed to be the best.
Gracias for that very useful information! News to me. I'll visit the Mega store for sure next time.

generdude - 11-10-2015 at 11:14 PM

pauldavidmena - where in Todos Santos did you pick up your Telcel card?

ncampion - 11-11-2015 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaunbob  
Quote: Originally posted by lanesykes  
And AT&T's GoPhone plan has this restriction: "Primary usage must be in U.S. Calls, texts, and data usage in and from Mexico or Canada cannot exceed 50% of usage or service may be terminated. U.S. residents only."

So, as a gringo spending the winter (Nov-Mar) in Baja, I question whether any of these "No Borders" plans are useful since it appears my service would be terminated at any time while in Baja.

Anyone have any long-term (5-6 months) experience using these plans in Baja? Has anyone been terminated?

We have been using an AT&T GoPhone (Samsung S4) for the past 6 or 7 months in both US and Baja. We spend most of our time in Baja, we make and receive calls and text between US and Baja on a regular basis. So far no problems with AT&T about usage. It's been working great for us as friends and family can call and text us freely with little cost. I'm not sure they really bother to monitor every user's usage, of course maybe they can get that data from the NSA.

Russ - 11-12-2015 at 09:12 AM

I got the T-Mobile over the phone and got an iPhone 5 for $100 or $5/month. Never heard about it being mostly used in the States. Works really well and no more hasle with Mex phone service.

pauldavidmena - 11-12-2015 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by generdude  
pauldavidmena - where in Todos Santos did you pick up your Telcel card?

It was in one of the little convenience stores on Colegio Militar, one with a "Telcel" sign out front. I'm sorry I don't remember the name.

BigBearRider - 11-12-2015 at 10:52 AM

Oxxo has Telcel cards as well.

Using an Unlocked iPhone in Todos Santos

generdude - 11-14-2015 at 11:40 PM

pauldavidmena - thanks, I know where that is. Also thanks to BigBearRider for the Oxxo tip.

unbob - 11-16-2015 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
I got the T-Mobile over the phone and got an iPhone 5 for $100 or $5/month. Never heard about it being mostly used in the States. Works really well and no more hasle with Mex phone service.
Of course you are using Mex phone service while in Baja - T-Mobile has a roaming agreement with Telcel. My T-Mo 'Simple Choice North America' plan has been working great for the past month here in BCS! I'm connected with HSPA+ data service and it's been A-OK for web browsing, email and downloading software updates, etc.