BajaNomad

SENTRI system

bonanza bucko - 8-6-2015 at 09:19 AM

Hi:
We have a new truck and the old SENTRI sticker went away with the old truck. I'm told these two things, please tell me what you can about them:
1.)I don't need a sticker on the truck and
2.)I have to take the new one to be inspected at either San Isidro or Calexico CBP and the appointment for that is 3 to 4 months.

Is that true?

Thanks,
BB

bajaguy - 8-6-2015 at 09:32 AM

#1. Yes

#2. Yes - No set time on appointments for inspections

BajaGeoff - 8-6-2015 at 09:55 AM

Hey BB I am in the same situation. I got a new truck recently and as soon as I got my license plates I applied to add it to SENTRI. That was on July 13th and as of this morning it is still "pending approval" on the GOES website. As soon as approval comes through I will likely make an appointment at Calexico, as I have heard it is less backed up than the Otay office. We will see!

JAG - 8-6-2015 at 12:58 PM

Look up the Yuma crossing, Sonoyta and they seem to have a much shorter wait time. When I changed cars it was a one day wait for an appt. vs. 2 to 3 months in San Diego.

larryC - 8-6-2015 at 01:51 PM

This is a little off the subject but can anyone think of a reason why they care which vehicle we drive? I can see excluding vehicles with campers or trailers but what difference does it really make. We are either trusted travelers or not.

Udo - 8-6-2015 at 02:05 PM

That is a great question to ask the SENTRI personnel, either in person or by phone.

BigBearRider - 8-6-2015 at 02:25 PM

"Trust, but verify"?

redmesa - 8-6-2015 at 02:27 PM

I heard that they are stopping the vehicle registration. In Canada for the GOES NEXUS we do not register a vehicle.

BigBearRider - 8-6-2015 at 02:34 PM

It would be awesome if that extra hurdle is abolished. I live in LA, and it will take me a day to get SENTRI-fied in SD.

durrelllrobert - 8-6-2015 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
This is a little off the subject but can anyone think of a reason why they care which vehicle we drive? I can see excluding vehicles with campers or trailers but what difference does it really make. We are either trusted travelers or not.

You guys in the SENTRI lane paid good money for the right to be subjected to stupid rules, regulations and enforcement of DMV laws that all us untrustworthy travelers are not subjected too. They also trust that you will never complain or object to their abuse for fear of loosing that privelage.

bonanza bucko - 8-6-2015 at 04:48 PM

Well I think that we should not stand still for a 2-3 month or a 3-4 month wait for an appointment to inspect a truck for people who have had SENTRI passes for years and are already in the data base. They are also charging $42 to inspect the truck and that takes about five minutes. We are a bunch of sheep to put up with this. We should raise all kinds of hell about it and I have started to do that. I called my congress hole who has a dude who looks into stuff like this but he hasn't found the time to call back.....that might have something to do with the fact that I'm a registered voter in the party that his boss ain't :-)
Maybe we should all move to some place that has a responsive gummint like Iraq or Guatemala :-(..:-)

redmesa - 8-6-2015 at 04:53 PM

Sounds like a money grab system to me. If I had to register my car than I will forget the fast lane. I am never in that big of a hurry these days.

Ateo - 8-6-2015 at 08:49 PM

Took me 2 weeks to get my application to add truck approved. Scheduled truck inspection about 3 weeks later at Otay. Maybe a month total, in reality.

It was worth the hassle. Last weekend at Mexicali. Regular lanes looked liked about 2 hour wait, maybe more.

Sentri had one car in it. I was across in 3 minutes.