BajaNomad

Bahia Conception October beach camping/mosquitoes

sd2hi - 8-13-2015 at 01:59 PM

Hola gang, I'm thinking of beach camping in the Bahia de Concepcion area in October. What do you think the mosquito and other biting/stinging insect situation will be at that time of year?

motoged - 8-13-2015 at 02:05 PM

Bugs will increase significantly if the September storm season is active with standing water left behind. Last year there apparently was a rise in dengue fever after the storms.

Off bug spray and camping where there might be a breeze would be my solution.

Good luck with your trip.

SFandH - 8-13-2015 at 02:09 PM

I've been there the past 4 Octobers, usually arriving the second week of the month. Right around sunset there will be little, almost invisible bugs biting at your ankles and lower legs. Take some bug spray with you. I always look for the stuff with the most DEET. Works for me.

I don't recall ever seeing regular mosquitoes at the beaches.

BUT, I have met people who have been tormented by biting insects when I haven't been bothered at all. So there is some individual susceptibility to the issue.

[Edited on 8-13-2015 by SFandH]

bajabuddha - 8-13-2015 at 03:32 PM

It all depends on where on the Bay you camp; if you're near standing water, you'll have lots. Not, a few. To have and not need is better than to need and not have; your question really is moot point. Pack 3 - 4 cans of orange-cap OFF..... it won't spoil. Kinda like having sun tan lotion and it's cloudy, que no?

Bajahowodd - 8-13-2015 at 04:50 PM

Meteorologists are saying that we are looking at a hugely strong El Nino effect in the Pacific. Hopefully, you will be gone before the record rains fall.

SFandH - 8-13-2015 at 05:08 PM

What is the effect of El Ninos on the Sea of Cortez? Do the storms cross the peninsula?

They are predicting a strong El Nino this winter. Could be some washed out bridges along the highway.

Decoy?

AKgringo - 8-13-2015 at 05:38 PM

I plan on being in the same area at about the same time. If it works out, I could set up my camp about fifty yards away from you.

Bugs like me, so that should keep most of them away from you.

I would like to hear if any of the bug zapping devices work on gnats, or just on skeeters.

Sweetwater - 8-13-2015 at 05:44 PM

Noseeums have gotten me multiple times during trips south. I've never been DEETed during these attacks and I'm not sure is it would help. I end up with small divots where they bite and those become red and provide plenty of itch over a few days. They definitely like my Italian/Slovenian flesh. Wet conditions are going to provide another breeding season for those pesky gnat like creatures....

StuckSucks - 8-13-2015 at 05:48 PM

I remember camping at Playa Requesón on the way north after prerunning the Mil in October. At night, it was super hot, so you couldn't hide inside your sleeping bag from the mosquitoes - I remember sacraficing a leg outside just to stay semi-not-hot. My leg was gnawed to the bone. Sort answer, we both woke up around 3am and said "enough of this" - got in the truck, cranked the AC, and started driving north.

KurtG - 8-13-2015 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
I remember camping at Playa Requesón on the way north after prerunning the Mil in October. At night, it was super hot, so you couldn't hide inside your sleeping bag from the mosquitoes - I remember sacraficing a leg outside just to stay semi-not-hot. My leg was gnawed to the bone. Sort answer, we both woke up around 3am and said "enough of this" - got in the truck, cranked the AC, and started driving north.

Worst mosquitoes I have encountered in Baja were at Requeson and La Perla.

AKgringo - 8-13-2015 at 08:25 PM

Where are Playa Requesion, and La Perla?

bajabuddha - 8-13-2015 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Of course, B. of C., a mile south of Marco and Olivia's Aaaahr-Bar at Playa Buenaventura. 8 miles south of "The Strip", Coyote north to Santispac.

EDIT: aw shucks, I forgot DK will of course supply 6 maps. :lol:

[Edited on 8-14-2015 by bajabuddha]

bajabuddha - 8-13-2015 at 08:40 PM

EL NIÑO NOTE:

All weather scientists say that when an El Niño is present, ALL BETS ARE OFF. The prediction is, there is no prediction.

So, you want a wet nurse too? Go camping for kryst's sake, and load for what you may encounter. If you pay me enough, i'll come along and hold your hand, and even speak-a-Spanish for you at the gas stations and beach camps. ZZZZ at ZZ ZZZZZ is illiterate, can't read or cypher her pesos.

Campers USED to be adventurous; bug spray, sun screen, CHECK. Now, let's get our fannies down there and make new history and FUN. :smug:

AKgringo - 8-13-2015 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Of course, B. of C., a mile south of Marco and Olivia's Aaaahr-Bar at Playa Buenaventura. 8 miles south of "The Strip", Coyote north to Santispac.

EDIT: aw shucks, I forgot DK will of course supply 6 maps. :lol:

[Edited on 8-14-2015 by bajabuddha]

Thanks Buddha! I knew that sounded familiar, ! have been to both those beaches with no bug problems, but that was January. We even spent a couple of nights at Marc and Olivia's in 1999

bajabuddha - 8-13-2015 at 10:24 PM

You're most welcome, AK.... La Perla was my HOME for almost 15 years. I've spent over 6 months at a time there, solared up, hauling water, and even built some pretty nice outhouses there. A piece of my heart will always reside at La Perla, with Pablo and family. Unfortunately, as it does Stateside too, 'family' doesn't step up to fill the void when a major player is gone.

Unfortunately there's bugs, snakes, scorpions, and I guarantee mice in every palapa with a year's supply of dog food cache'd into the wall-fronds. And, lots of coyotes, both two-legged and four. My heart is broken, too old to play the game there any more. Anyone care for personal suggestions, u2u me and I'll be happy to share ALL the good and bad, because to me it is still the prettiest spot in Baja I've ever lived. New rules apply.