BajaNomad

Tourist Card On line

TMW - 9-2-2015 at 10:57 AM

Does anyone know anything about this. I don't think they are up and ready yet.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/travelers-can-obtain-tourist...

woody with a view - 9-2-2015 at 11:12 AM

if you still have to stop and get it stamped i don't see the benefit. why not do it like they issue fishing licenses? you go online, pay your fee, tell them which day to stamp it (the day you plan to cross (or fish)) and then you print it out.

the authorities must really be that stupid! this is the digital age, after all....

Lee - 9-2-2015 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
if you still have to stop and get it stamped i don't see the benefit. why not do it like they issue fishing licenses? you go online, pay your fee, tell them which day to stamp it (the day you plan to cross (or fish)) and then you print it out.

the authorities must really be that stupid! this is the digital age, after all....

Stopping at the border is a 3) step process. Go to migration get the form, fill it out, then 2) go to the bank and get it stamped, then 3) return it to migration. Haven't done this in a while but isn't this it?

Eliminating a step is beneficial to those playing the odds. That would be the bank being closed for some reason, or the person at the bank who has the stamp is sick today….. this is worth a few bucks…..

I got a '34 wagon and I call it a Woody…..

gallesram - 9-2-2015 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Stopping at the border is a 3) step process. Go to migration get the form, fill it out, then 2) go to the bank and get it stamped, then 3) return it to migration. Haven't done this in a while but isn't this it?

Eliminating a step is beneficial to those playing the odds. That would be the bank being closed for some reason, or the person at the bank who has the stamp is sick today….. this is worth a few bucks…..

You can pay the agent directly now; no need to go to the bank.

But it takes time for the agent to complete the form, collect the money, make change, etc. So if all they did was verify your payment and glance at your passport to be sure it is consistent with the form (much like when you go through immigration when you fly into a foreign country) it would save you a bit of time.

Lee - 9-2-2015 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gallesram  

You can pay the agent directly now; no need to go to the bank.

Confirming this: go directly to migration and it's one stop. Get form, pay, stamp, and leave. I've not been aware of that.

The form costs $36 at Vagabundos -- I'm seeing less benefit to paying extra if it's simpler at the border. Is the cost still $22?

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2015 at 12:32 PM

The form costs $36 at Vagabundos -- I'm seeing less benefit to paying extra if it's simpler at the border.

Is the cost still $22?

cost is 322 pesos
at 16 to one that's 20 bucks

bajaguy - 9-2-2015 at 12:48 PM

And we are all in such a hurry that we can't take time to get the FMM at the border, but people will wait 3 hours to cross back into the US without a complaint when there are other options

A closer reading of the article says the system is not yet activated

sancho - 9-2-2015 at 02:04 PM

Not too many firsts left here, but a Jan & Dean quote, nice

David K - 9-2-2015 at 03:48 PM

"Confirming this: go directly to migration and it's one stop. Get form, pay, stamp, and leave. I've not been aware of that."

I have reported the ability to may the INM officer since 2012 in my trip reports and other posts on the matter. There is often a bank teller that can also be used. In Mexicali , 6 weeks ago, the one officer at INM did it all, as had been the case in Tijuana in 2012.

Bajaguy, it's not the 15-30 minutes going south, it is parking. Tecate can be impossible for a motorhome or trailer, so they suggest parking on the U.S. side, and making a second entry into Mexico that day.

Getting the FMM online, but having to still stop for a stamp, is not a whole lot of improvement in efficiency. Why not activate it right then, online... and you have it for 180 days?

freediverbrian - 9-2-2015 at 07:02 PM

last may we went thru mexicali and tried to get a visa but due to little staff and a"computer problem" we were told we did not need a visa . Just tell who ever asks "computer problem" and all is OK?? Until a good and reliable system is set up it is a joke .

David K - 9-2-2015 at 10:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
last may we went thru mexicali and tried to get a visa but due to little staff and a"computer problem" we were told we did not need a visa . Just tell who ever asks "computer problem" and all is OK?? Until a good and reliable system is set up it is a joke .

Viva Mexico!

dizzyspots - 9-3-2015 at 09:49 PM

i just got our 7 day FMM on line ...took about 15 min to fill out and print 2 forms..no charge (7 day?)

Dizzy link?

John M - 9-4-2015 at 04:33 AM

Dizzy, would you post the site or link please?

John M

gallesram - 9-4-2015 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Dizzy, would you post the site or link please?

John M

Here's the link; just found it.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/solicitud.html

woody with a view - 9-4-2015 at 07:40 AM

the guvmint expects the casual tourist to navigate the site in Spanish? am i not seeing the english link? there is one at the bottom but isn't bringing up an english version FMM application.

[Edited on 9-4-2015 by woody with a view]

David K - 9-4-2015 at 08:54 AM

the guvmint expects the casual tourist to navigate the site in Spanish? am i not seeing the english link? there is one at the bottom but isn't bringing up an english version FMM application.

[Edited on 9-4-2015 by woody with a view]

Try right click for translation (Google Chrome):

Multiple Migratory Form (FMM)

General Requirements

FMM The applicant must have a passport or passport card (Passport Card) valid and in force in accordance with the norms of international law and have a minimum period of 6 months validity.

The applicant is aware that the passport card (Passport Card) can be used at land border crossings and only visit the border; It may not be used for travel within Mexico or use it for international travel by air.

The applicant must enter the information requested on the application of the FMM, as it appears on your passport.

The applicant accepts under penalty of perjury, that the information and documentation provided is true, so it becomes knowledge that should distort information, it could be punished in accordance with applicable legal provisions.

Conditions Multiple Migratory Form obtained electronically
The Multiple Migratory Form may be obtained electronically through the, foreigners entering the country by land, by the places open to the international movement of people Institute website.

Applicant agrees that the condition of stay that you get to enter the information will be to visitors without permission to perform remunerated activities .

The applicant takes cognizance that the FMM has a maximum term of 180 calendar days and may use it for a single admission.

The applicant takes cognizance that the validity of the FMM is counted from the immigration stamp seal, provided he meets the requirements to enter Mexico.

The applicant will print the FMM and be required to show the position intended for international transit of persons who intend to enter.

The applicant takes cognizance that the payment of the right to obtain the status of stay, does not guarantee admission to Mexico.

The applicant must show passport or passport (Passport Card) valid and in force, and the FMM when applying for admission.

I have read and accept the terms and conditions

sancho - 9-4-2015 at 10:52 AM

New wrinkle off DK's post, getting an fmm off the site with passport card restricts the tourist to border travel, can't go
past Ensenada? In the past the card was accepted for interior travel. They may not enforce it that way though. Good for one entry, contradicts a post a couple
days ago, someone using an existing fmm for entry into TJ,
getting in the Mex National line showing an existing fmm,
further confusion from Mex Imm

woody with a view - 9-4-2015 at 10:58 AM

i'm more concerned with:
"The applicant takes cognizance that the FMM has a maximum term of 180 calendar days and may use it for a single admission."

oh well, we'll see what the future holds. tighten your seat belts!

Lee - 9-4-2015 at 01:13 PM

i'm more concerned with:
"The applicant takes cognizance that the FMM has a maximum term of 180 calendar days and may use it for a single admission."

The single admission is based on the honor system. And the question that always comes up is: how does anyone know you've gone North and re-entered again? The answer is no one will know.

TMW - 9-4-2015 at 03:39 PM

According to Discover Baja you do not need to turn in your FMM tourist visa when leaving Mexico under the new rules. Therefore if you have a 180 day FMM how would they know how many times you were in and out.

David K - 9-4-2015 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
According to Discover Baja you do not need to turn in your FMM tourist visa when leaving Mexico under the new rules. Therefore if you have a 180 day FMM how would they know how many times you were in and out.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

sancho - 9-4-2015 at 09:01 PM

Discover Baja also says the 72 hr reg no longer
exists, the border free zone no longer exists, that all
tourists need an fmm regardless of length of stay, so
a day TJ tourist needs the free 7 day fmm. Correct? Don't know. Reread a San
Diego article July 19, 2015, a Rodulfo Figuera, of the National
Migration Institute of Baja states, that
these fmm requirements for
tourists entering by vehicle 'are way, way into the future', so
it appears one can drive back into Baja with an existing fmm,
which was a concern

FMM multiple entry

akshadow - 9-4-2015 at 09:19 PM

i'm more concerned with:

The single admission is based on the honor system. And the question that always comes up is: how does anyone know you've gone North and re-entered again? The answer is no one will know.
Unless they ask to see your paperwork when entering and the FMM shows earlier date.??