BajaNomad

Questions heading down 5 for the first time

23S52N - 9-8-2015 at 12:02 PM

Hi folks,

My apologies if this has been covered, but i did search the threads and posts and got most of my questions answered except the following. Firstly, I've been driving down to La Paz from Canada for the past 4 years but have been on the Tecate/San Quintin corridor, which as with so many of you, has become tedious. So i have decided this trip down to cross at Mexicali and head down and over to Chapala and down #1 to La Paz.

I am driving a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Mega Cab, no camper and not pulling anything. I have my two pups with me. I only care to be on the road for a total of 6 or max 7 hours per day, and i am not in a huge hurry. Keeping that in mind here are my questions:

1. The first day i plan from El Centro down to Alfonsinas. They don't accept pets, so is there an alternative there? If not, the pets can sleep in their bed in the truck.

2. Is diesel available at the Pemex on the corner into Gonazaga?

3. I plan to drive from Alfonsinas the next day to Mulege. I used to do El Rosario to St. Ignacio. Does the Mulege trip sound about the same time frame and can anyone recommend a decent pet friendly place in Mulege?

4. Some folks have mentioned flat tires being a problem on the last 25 miles of the road from Coco's to Chapala. Is that from sharp rocks or debris?

I appreciate your patience with all the questions and hope i'm not on worn out ground.

regards,
Keith

larryC - 9-8-2015 at 12:12 PM

The last time I drove it, about a week ago there was no diesel available at the Pemex at Gonzaga.

The flat tire problem may be from driving too fast on the rocky portion of the road between Coco's and Chapala.

Depending on when you leave El Centro you will probably be in Gonzaga pretty early. I stay in San Filipe at the Blue Sky and they are dog/pet friendly.

El Jefe - 9-8-2015 at 12:13 PM

3. You can make it to Mulege no problem.
4. The 23 miles from end of pavement to Hwy 1 does have a lot of loose sharp rocks, but nothing a good set of tires can't handle. I drove the dirt section in an hour end to end. Maybe a little faster than most, but I'm used to bad roads. It will be bumpy in a lightly loaded pickup like yours.

This is my new favorite way to go. Amazingly only 26 miles further to go this way to north San Diego county from south of the Hwy 1 junction at Chapala.

ehall - 9-8-2015 at 12:17 PM

The diesel pump at gonzaga pemex , to my knowledge, has never worked. Flats are from sharp rocks. Go slow and you won't have a problem
Plenty of hotels in San felipe that takes pets. Also diesel is always available.

David K - 9-8-2015 at 12:17 PM

Good answers. Diesel is generally available across the hwy. from the Pemex at Rancho Grande. Top off in San Felipe any way. Can you do 200-300 miles on a tank?

mjs - 9-8-2015 at 12:29 PM

What DK said. Diesel at Rancho grande market. You will have to fill out of a tanker truck. Best to top off in San Felipe.

If it were me and those parameters, I'd probably go El Centro (or San Felipe) to Bahia de Los Angeles, about 8 (6) hours. Then BoLA to Mulege, about 6 hours. Diesel is normally available in BoLA.

23S52N - 9-8-2015 at 12:38 PM

Thanks kindly to all of you for your answers so far. Yes, the mileage in the diesel is good at about 20mpg and i have a 35 gallon tank. I did travel from Jesus Maria to Loreto on half a tank.

As far as staying in San Felipe, i was hoping to drive a little farther, which would put me at Gonazaga and not entail the long drive to GN. Maybe some feedback from folks who have stayed at Alfonsinas with their pups in the truck?
Does Victor mind? Ok to walk them on the beach? any problems?

Also any tips for crossing at Mexicali? I saw the overhead google and directions posted by John M. Thanks for that!

Again, thanks for the friendly input,

regards,
Keith

23S52N - 9-8-2015 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
What DK said. Diesel at Rancho grande market. You will have to fill out of a tanker truck. Best to top off in San Felipe.

If it were me and those parameters, I'd probably go El Centro (or San Felipe) to Bahia de Los Angeles, about 8 (6) hours. Then BoLA to Mulege, about 6 hours. Diesel is normally available in BoLA.

Thanks for this....but i think 8hrs is a touch more than me or the pups want to endure.....i'm ready for a glass of wine after a max of 7.....

regards,
Keith

rts551 - 9-8-2015 at 12:56 PM

Went through last week. Lots of construction going on during the 23 miles. But they have fixed some of the worst parts. You should be OK on fuel San Felipe to Jesus Maria. Alfonsinas is your only option until LA Bay or Nuevo Rosarito.

We, like most stay in San Felipe when traveling from BCS.

Why not time your stops for a San Felipe and San Ignacio night?

[Edited on 9-8-2015 by rts551]

David K - 9-8-2015 at 02:26 PM

L.A. Bay was mentioned, and yes, it is 40 paved miles off your route... but if you never been there, it is stunning to see, and lots of motels and 2 Pemex stations.

Weather Watch

bajaguy - 9-8-2015 at 03:18 PM

Don't know when you are planning your trip, but keep an eye on the weather. Hurricane Linda might be a player then all bets on routes and times will be gobsmacked.

TMW - 9-8-2015 at 04:48 PM

There is another place to stay Gonzaga the cabanas at El Sacrificio.

Hurricane Rick - 9-8-2015 at 06:12 PM

Wherever you decide to stop. Really watch your speed coming up to the deep Vados outside of San Felipe to Puertocitos on the paved road. I think they start around KM 31 or so. Some are deeper and shorter span then others. As you already know, its's Mexico, take it slow and easy. The road to Chapala has a few up hill turns and is rocky and washboard. Plus you are a long aways away from any tire help.
Of course , I also vote to stay the night in San Felipe and then onto San Ignacio. Desert Inn allows pets.
Safe travels and have a great trip.

TMW - 9-8-2015 at 06:34 PM

The tire shop is at Chapala and Hwy 1.

If you air down he will fill em up.

[Edited on 9-9-2015 by TMW]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-8-2015 at 07:13 PM

hola,

what year is your truck ? remember, there is no ulsd south of el rosario, don't know about the route you are taking or whether your truck needs it.

have a great journey,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

23S52N - 9-8-2015 at 07:44 PM

Again to all, thanks kindly for the input. I am leaving Canada Nov. 1 and plan to cross into Mexico Friday, Nov. 6 ( I know, i don't like crossing on the weekends, but.....)

I have a compressor onboard with my engine brake so can air the tires up or down. Also have a plug kit. I run 50 pounds all around, should i drop the psi a bit on that last leg from coco's? I have the 2007 cummins, with the 5.9 so don't need the ulsd, thanks. As far as the route, I'll take 5 to 1 at Chapala and then south to La Paz. I'll see how I feel when i get to S. Ignacio....I quit staying at the Desert Inn when they jacked the price to 1250 pesos but i heard they are back down to 600 so will consider them again.

Thanks for the heads up on the alternate place in Gonzaga, TMW! Can anyone recommend a pet friendly place in Mulege if i decide to overnite there?

I definitely follow the weather, my house caught some damage from Odile last september..thanks for the heads up.

Lots of food for thot, folks, again much appreciated.

regards,
Keith

CCgirl - 9-8-2015 at 08:44 PM

last time I emailed this hotel (2014) in Mulege they told me they allow dogs
Hotel Cuesta Real web page not working tele 01.615.153.0321

[Edited on 9-9-2015 by CCgirl]

David K - 9-8-2015 at 09:02 PM

San Ignacio Desert Inn is expensive, like $90+ last July. The La Huerta is the new game, $40 or less, just past the mission on the right.

Maderita - 9-9-2015 at 02:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  
I run 50 pounds all around, should i drop the psi a bit on that last leg from coco's?

The answer to this will vary widely, depending upon who you ask.
In my experience, lowering the air pressure will improve the tire's resistance to puncture. It will also provide a softer ride and keep the fillings from rattling out of your teeth. However, dropping too much pressure will expose the sidewalls. The sidewalls are thinner and less resistant to puncture. What is optimal for travel over dirt roads with sharp rocks? For an SUV or light truck, I'd say 18-25 psi. For your unloaded 1-ton truck, heavy in the front with the diesel engine, maybe 30psi in the front, 25 psi in the rear.

Tire width and brand/model are variables. Look at the profile of the tire at full pressure. Then reduce air pressure while keeping an eye on sidewall bulge. If the sidewalls bulge and extend too far beyond the tread, they are at risk of getting punctured. My suggested psi numbers are a ballpark guess. Use your eyes and best judgment.

rts551 - 9-9-2015 at 07:36 AM

While I usually drop pressure, I did not this last trip. Probably won't in the near future. Not worth it except for the last 5 miles to Chapala. Too much construction etc...you will not be going that fast.

chuckie - 9-9-2015 at 07:54 AM

I agree....

honda tom - 9-9-2015 at 08:58 AM

Antonio at Alfonsinas allowed my small lab in the room, he said "not on the bed" I think if you showed him a quilt or dog bed he wouldn't mind, especially if you told him after diner you were going to Sacraficio with your 65 bucks! (I would put $ on it)

The next morning just go slow for that hour on the rough. Your 1 ton is so stiff youll have to anyway. break it up with a stop at cocos and no worries.

figure what you need in diesel from san felipe to villa jesus maria

SF to Gonzaga 112
Gonzaga to hwy 36
Hwy to Villa 80

250 mile range in truck= no problem.

23S52N - 9-9-2015 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Antonio at Alfonsinas allowed my small lab in the room, he said "not on the bed" I think if you showed him a quilt or dog bed he wouldn't mind, especially if you told him after diner you were going to Sacraficio with your 65 bucks! (I would put $ on it)

I did tell him i had two dogs, (one is a shep X, the other a labX) and he replied they don't allow pets. I do have their beds which i could put in the room, but my understanding was that if you don't reserve, you'll probably show up to a booked hotel. I haven't sent an email/call to El Sacrificios yet. Thanks again.

regards,
Keith

Wally - 9-9-2015 at 10:16 AM

Did this last month and have 2 cents:

1. the drive from Tecate to Mexicali on the Mexico side is pretty beautiful. You might want to think about that. There is a Hwy 5 cutoff just outside Mexicali so you can avoid going into town if you want.

2. I drove a 4runner with a pretty thick layer of bedding in the back for the dogs and they were miserable for the unpaved stretch. Had to take it very slow--added another hour to that leg.

Marc - 9-9-2015 at 10:45 PM

1. Nothing else so little friends may get the truck

2. No. Try R Grande store.

3. Mulege is 9 hours. Clementine's for pets.

4. Just go SLOW.

[Edited on 9-10-2015 by Marc]

redhilltown - 9-11-2015 at 11:47 PM

Since you have a compressor, it makes no sense to ride at full tire pressure that last leg to Chapala. You may not want to go as low as some of us, but anything will take a bit of the sting out and save your tires. And besides, airing up (down) your tires is a good excuse for a break and a Pacifico!!!

23S52N - 9-13-2015 at 10:56 AM

Thanks kindly for all the input, folks. After considering all your advice and doing my guzintas (math), i've decided to do El Centro to Bahia LA the first day; a bit long but i am a fusser when it comes to lodgings for the pups and there are pup friendly places there. The second day i'll do Mulege and then into La Paz on the last.

I have sent emails to La Serinidad in mulege (they confirm pet friendly) but not received a confirmation on my reservation request. Likewise i have not heard from Villa Bahia in LA. There was a mention of Clementines in Mulege as an alternate. Can anyone recommend an alternate in BoLA?

As far as the tire pressure goes, i'm running Hankook 265 70R17s with a light load in the box....suggestions? as i'm running 50psi on highway.

thanks in advance,
regards,
Keith

[Edited on 9-13-2015 by 23S52N]

BoLA

bajaguy - 9-13-2015 at 11:06 AM

Costa del Sol is our Go-To place

TMW - 9-13-2015 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  
Thanks kindly for all the input, folks. After considering all your advice and doing my guzintas (math), i've decided to do El Centro to Bahia LA the first day; a bit long but i am a fusser when it comes to lodgings for the pups and there are pup friendly places there. The second day i'll do Mulege and then into La Paz on the last.

I have sent emails to La Serinidad in mulege (they confirm pet friendly) but not received a confirmation on my reservation request. Likewise i have not heard from Villa Bahia in LA. There was a mention of Clementines in Mulege as an alternate. Can anyone recommend an alternate in BoLA?

As far as the tire pressure goes, i'm running Hankook 265 70R17s with a light load in the box....suggestions? as i'm running 50psi on highway.

thanks in advance,
regards,
Keith

[Edited on 9-13-2015 by 23S52N]

I would take them down to 30lbs and see how that feels.

23S52N - 9-14-2015 at 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tire info. I received a confirmation email from Villa Bahia, still waiting on La Serenidad.......es mexico! even for the gringos...lol.

regards,
Keith

ehall - 9-14-2015 at 04:38 PM

Good plan. Have fun. Watch for the dips south of San felipe. I've seen a bbq thrown over the hood. They sneak up on you.

AKgringo - 9-14-2015 at 07:06 PM

For what it is worth, there is a tire shop across from where highway 5 intersects highway 1. There is also one at Rancho Grande on your return trip north.

I have used them both to save myself a half hour or so running my 12v compressor, and as mentioned earlier, it is usually a nice time to take a break.

I think you will like that road, I travel it with my dog, but I car camp instead of hotels.

Do you need to find a veterinarian in La Paz?

23S52N - 9-15-2015 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
For what it is worth, there is a tire shop across from where highway 5 intersects highway 1. There is also one at Rancho Grande on your return trip north.

I have used them both to save myself a half hour or so running my 12v compressor, and as mentioned earlier, it is usually a nice time to take a break.

I think you will like that road, I travel it with my dog, but I car camp instead of hotels.

Do you need to find a veterinarian in La Paz?

Thanks so much.....I am really looking forward to getting off the cattle train on the Pacific side. I have a super vet in La Paz, Tomas Rodriguez, he's actually better than my Canadian Vet.......Anchorage....I loved Alaska and spent a lot of time there when i was stationed in the Yukon from '74 to '79.

As far as car camping, i spent 30 years in tents, crawling in and out when i was on my harley....now i just want a room...lol...

and received a confo on my room at La Serenidad so i'm set.....i'll let you all know how i made out on the way down.....saludos y tambien muchas gracias...

best regards,
Keith

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by 23S52N]

bufeo - 9-15-2015 at 02:52 PM

My experience: 60+ years of driving off-road, 44 years of driving off-road in Baja; only puncture on a dirt road in Baja was from a nail.

Rule of thumb for airing down vehicles we owned: F250, Chev 2500, Chev Suburbans, Ford Excursion, and Chev 3500 to 50% of highway PSI. But...I think the aforementioned 30 PSI is a good starting point.

About the dogs: we've arrived at motels in Baja which are not pet-friendly but allowed our dogs in the room after seeing we had crates.

Allen R

rts551 - 9-15-2015 at 03:42 PM

Allen...I never had a rock puncture when going slow...even if not aired down...only when going fast in a full loaded vehicle.

dizzyspots - 9-15-2015 at 03:48 PM

...from an article at Expedition Portal...load vehicle as you would be traveling...measure sidewall height...reduce pressure to the point that your reduce your sidewall height by 25%...ex. was 4 inches high...now 3 inches...write down the pressure it took to get there on the door jamb of the vehicle,,,,thats your new airdown pressure....

David K - 9-15-2015 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bufeo  
My experience: 60+ years of driving off-road, 44 years of driving off-road in Baja; only puncture on a dirt road in Baja was from a nail.

Rule of thumb for airing down vehicles we owned: F250, Chev 2500, Chev Suburbans, Ford Excursion, and Chev 3500 to 50% of highway PSI. But...I think the aforementioned 30 PSI is a good starting point.

About the dogs: we've arrived at motels in Baja which are not pet-friendly but allowed our dogs in the room after seeing we had crates.

Allen R

Lucky guy!

I have gotten many sharp rock punctures in the tread (not sidewall)... but as stated above, always at FULL street pressure (30-35 psi) and while driving "Tacoma Speed" (30-50 mph) on graded dirt roads in Baja.

Once I relented to Nomad pressure (get it, pressure?) and DEFLATED to 20-25 PSI on unpaved roads, NO MORE FLATS.

Of course, I didn't have the top tier tires... Mostly it was the factory stock BFG Rugged Trail TAs that the Off Road Tacomas come with, but also once or twice with the Dakota ATs, and Dynapro ATMs too... again, at full pressure, driving 30-50 mph (flats occurred near Gonzaga, Coco's Corner, Laguna Chapala, Las Flores, Bahia Las Animas jcn., Punta San Carlos jcn., Sierra de San Antonio jcn., Santa Gertrudis, and near La Ventana BCN)

rts551 - 9-15-2015 at 04:23 PM

When the road was 100 miles of dirt I always aired down. 23 miles of slow going construction hardly makes it worth it.

David K - 9-15-2015 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
When the road was 100 miles of dirt I always aired down. 23 miles of slow going construction hardly makes it worth it.

Agree! I wish I didn't air down the last time (same 23 miles Chapala to Gonzaga area) because the air tube P-nched while refilling at that monument at the Arroyo Santa Marķa bridge, and blew up my pump!

baja99 - 9-17-2015 at 05:42 PM

You mentioned a change in plans- continuing on to LA Bay. Done the El Centro to LA Bay drive twice in the last month. One time, 6.5 hours, the next time just over 7. One flat on the dirt road. :) Topped off in San Felipe, and had plenty when we arrived in LA Bay. Enjoy your trip!

rts551 - 9-17-2015 at 07:13 PM

350 miles. did that include stopping for a visa?

23S52N - 9-18-2015 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baja99  
You mentioned a change in plans- continuing on to LA Bay. Done the El Centro to LA Bay drive twice in the last month. One time, 6.5 hours, the next time just over 7. One flat on the dirt road. :) Topped off in San Felipe, and had plenty when we arrived in LA Bay. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for this.....I'm hoping i don't have a flat (obviously). Tires are about 50% so don't want to expend on new ones just yet. I'm not a stranger to dirt but it has been a while.

Can anyone give an idea of the border time at the east gate? Tecate was pretty much in and out which was a breeze.

regards,
Keith

rts551 - 9-18-2015 at 11:56 AM

from El Centro I don't think I have ever made it to LA BAY in 7 hours. But I only average 50 MPH when there are no dirt roads or borders to cross. Takes me closer to 8. Last time at the East crossing I got pulled over and it still only took 15 minutes (but I have a permanent resident card so this did not include time at the immigration office). You then have a few miles of city driving to go through to get to hwy 5.

23S52N - 9-18-2015 at 12:05 PM

Yup, that's what i'm figuring. Google says 8hrs15mins. and i'm inclined to do your speed most of the way averaging prob. 50-55mph. It will most likely be the longest leg of the trip down Baja...

regards,
Keith

rts551 - 9-18-2015 at 01:27 PM

you will enjoy it.

basautter - 9-18-2015 at 01:53 PM

No diesel at Gonzaga Bay. You may get some at Chapalla at the roadside station (where 5 intersects 1), but they are not there all the time. For piece of mind, I bring an extra 5 gallon can or two of diesel when I drive that route. Good luck!

23S52N - 9-18-2015 at 03:04 PM

thanks for that. I've always had good mileage with the cummins and this trip i won't be pulling my harley trailer (alas, the end of an era, sold her this summer)....so should do well for diesel....i'm sure that SF to BofLA will be ok....if someone knows different, i'm all ears..

regards,
keith

David K - 9-18-2015 at 03:13 PM

It's just under 200 road miles from San Felipe to Bahia de los Angeles, an easy 1/2-3/4 tank depending on tank size of course. All paved except for 23 miles of graded dirt and construction detour road beginning about 12 miles south of the Gonzaga Bay Pemex/Alfonsina's Jcn./Rancho Grande store.

23S52N - 9-18-2015 at 03:20 PM

^^ thanks, David, good to know stuff, for sure....

regards,
Keith