BajaNomad

Rebate time! (was: Recommendations for purchasing new set of Baja-ready tires?)

Whale-ista - 9-13-2015 at 11:38 AM

Edit/bump: many rebates & "Black Friday" specials being offered this month at various stores. If you are in the market for new tires, this is a good time to shop.

Not really an ORV question per se, since most of my Baja driving is on the hwy. But I'm looking ahead to the 2016 whale season, realizing the set of BFG ATs on my 1/2 ton are getting pretty worn, and I tend to carry a fair amount of weight when heading out to the lagoons. So- shopping time.

I've had no problems with them, after multiple trips last 3 years, and realize it's smarter to replace them sooner vs wait for trouble somewhere away from home.

So- what's the best deal? Are the new BFG models worthwhile or should I stick with the oldies, assuming they are available?

Is it worth it to do an Online purchase, even w/shipping, and have my neighborhood shop install them? Or just look for best deals at local Discount Tires etc? (I'm in San Diego)

I have a brand new AT spare on a new wheel (didn't have either when I purchased the truck used in 2013, so they were purchased afterwards) so I suppose I just need 3 new tires, and could use the best of the current set as a spare. Again, assuming the old style is still available.

Suggestions and recommendations from your experience welcomed.
Thanks!

Edit: just found this helpful review from Aug. 29: http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1508-we-test-new-...

[Edited on 11-26-2015 by Whale-ista]

Express Tires

bajaguy - 9-13-2015 at 11:44 AM

Locations in San Diego, says they provide services in Baja

http://www.expresstire.com/

Maderita - 9-13-2015 at 11:56 AM

Have you read BFG's specs on the new all terrain tire? If they are to be believed, the new tires are significantly improved.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=76133

Whale-ista - 9-13-2015 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Locations in San Diego, says they provide services in Baja

http://www.expresstire.com/

thanks. didn't see the offroad styles I'm interested in, will give them a call.

woody with a view - 9-13-2015 at 12:55 PM

Discount Tires will match any internet price. find what you want and print out the quote. take it to Discount and tell them to beat the price.

elgatoloco - 9-13-2015 at 01:35 PM

I use Discount Tires. They always give good price and service. Every time I need new tires I call them and they give me a price and I tell them what I paid for the last and they come down. Every 5000 miles I go in and they rotate and balance. I am on my 5th set of BFG and have never had a sidewall failure. Recently I had a BIG bolt go thru my tread and it made a hole too big to patch and they replaced it per road hazard warranty. I have been on a few roads in THE BAJA and drive pretty fast down some of them trying to keep up with my amigos in their Tundras. F-250 7.3 with camper 313,000 miles and counting.

YMMV. :saint:

truck.jpg - 41kB

Whale-ista - 9-13-2015 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Discount Tires will match any internet price. find what you want and print out the quote. take it to Discount and tell them to beat the price.

Thanks Dave and Woody. Appreciate the suggestions.

I've searched the Nomad discussions, and I'm searching online. There's a discount tire nearby, so I will print out the rebates other stores are offering and see what they can match.

Another question: The new K02 sidewall looks good, but my new spare is the old style. Will it hurt to drive a distance w/different tread design if I need to put on spare?

And has anyone noticed if the new K02s are noisier vs earlier design?
My current set of BFGs is pretty quiet. Could just be because they have 4 years and 25K on them.

And finally- is 25K of mostly Baja driving a reasonable mileage to expect from these tires? Seems low, and the overall tread isn't bad. But they have worn unevenly (Baja tends to ruin the alignment) and carried a lot of weight over some rough roads.

Also, I carry a Callen camper, +gear for camping etc. I imagine those factors add more wear and tear/mile.

Thanks again for helping with the learning curve.

bajaguy - 9-13-2015 at 02:01 PM

Depending on a few factors, I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles and get an alignment twice a year. Baja roads are not very friendly

rts551 - 9-13-2015 at 02:19 PM

I have 8000 miles on my KO2's. They are significantly quieter than the older model. They are supposed to wear much better than the older model. Running the spare is no problem as long as it is the same size.

Some say they have seen too many failures over the years...but can not show you where they have seen them. I suspect the real issue is money.

tripledigitken - 9-13-2015 at 02:23 PM

Tire Rack online is a good site for research. Noise and wear ratings are useful tools in making the decision.

Whale-ista - 9-13-2015 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Depending on a few factors, I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles and get an alignment twice a year. Baja roads are not very friendly

Agreed. It's a constant challenge with those roads.
I have a lifted truck, and my shocks also get pretty trashed- I replaced them earlier this year.

Last 2 years I went down to the lagoons 3 times (Jan/Feb/March), plus a summer trip to Cabo Pulmo. I've tried to keep up with the wear and tear. Often I need an alignment after each trip. Then- one deep pothole, early in the trip, and there goes the alignment for the next 1000 miles.

Constant battle...

Maderita - 9-13-2015 at 02:42 PM

If the spare is the same size, you can use it on the rear axle.
If it is a different size, then you can use it on the front (non drive axle). If you get a rear flat tire, that would require putting the spare on the front and swapping the front tire to the rear.

* (Does not apply to FWD or AWD vehicles)

Whale-ista - 9-13-2015 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
If the spare is the same size, you can use it on the rear axle.
If it is a different size, then you can use it on the front (non drive axle). If you get a rear flat tire, that would require putting the spare on the front and swapping the front tire to the rear.

* (Does not apply to FWD or AWD vehicles)

thanks. 2wd. same size (possibly different tread design if I go with the newer BFG model)

David K - 9-13-2015 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I have 8000 miles on my KO2's. They are significantly quieter than the older model. They are supposed to wear much better than the older model. Running the spare is no problem as long as it is the same size.

Some say they have seen too many failures over the years...but can not show you where they have seen them. I suspect the real issue is money.

1) The first personal experience in 2001: Between Desengano and Yubay, brand new BFG All Terrain TA tires on Amo Pescars Ford F-350, sandy road.

2) The last personal experience was in 2014: Mesa de San Carlos, same brand and condition tires on a Ford Raptor.

I was the passenger in both cases and there were numerous others I have seen with sidewall failures in the years between.

I would try the new KOs because BFG knew of the weakness per their press release, made major changes, so kudos to the masters at HQ in France!

larryC - 9-13-2015 at 05:37 PM

I drive a Ford F350 7.3 diesel and have really good luck with the Michelin LT series load range E. Expensive but really wear well. I use slightly larger than stock at 285/75-R16. No matter what tire you get, use a D or E load range they are stronger than the A and B ratings.

DawnPatrol - 9-13-2015 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I drive a Ford F350 7.3 diesel and have really good luck with the Michelin LT series load range E. Expensive but really wear well. I use slightly larger than stock at 285/75-R16. No matter what tire you get, use a D or E load range they are stronger than the A and B ratings.

I second the Michelins, E load range
not a real aggressive off road tread, but excellent treadwear and very quiet

I have a 2006 F250 Super Duty 4WD diesel

rts551 - 9-13-2015 at 08:06 PM

I used the michelins on my F250 and liked them. Not an off-road tire though.

Tioloco - 9-13-2015 at 09:02 PM

Load range D and E are good if vehicle is heavy- Fullsize diesel
If you are driving a lighter vehicle, they are stiff and you sacrifice traction off road. Not a safety hazard, so you make the call.
Load range C has been excellent for me for Jeeps and 1/2 ton pickups.
Maybe a Tacoma with ATRAC and heavily loaded with tent and ice chest will require a higher load rating? Lol

Trueheart - 9-14-2015 at 09:21 AM

Which ever tires you select, go to Discount Tire to buy them. From the owner Bruce Halle to the installer of your new tires, friendly personal commitment to customer is evident. I've had exceptional service from DT along with lowest prices for many sets of tires over a long period of time.

And for an interesting read, try the book "6 Tires, No Plan". Bruce Halle, quite an American success story and a really nice guy to boot!

David K - 9-14-2015 at 09:33 AM

Got my Dynapro tires at Discount... local store, very friendly staff. Ask if they will give you the Discount Direct price (their on-line mail-order store).

Skipjack Joe - 9-14-2015 at 03:50 PM

Got 130,000 miles on my Michelin AT tires and the rubber still hadn't worn down to replacement level. This includes a lot of Baja washboard roads. Never had a single flat during that time. The BFG tires that were replaced didn't reach 50,000 miles.

Needless to say I was very happy with these tires. I am at this moment sitting in a recliner at Costco while they replace my old tires with identical new ones.

Whale-ista - 9-14-2015 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Got 130,000 miles on my Michelin AT tires and the rubber still hadn't worn down to replacement level. This includes a lot of Baja washboard roads. Never had a single flat during that time. The BFG tires that were replaced didn't reach 50,000 miles.

Needless to say I was very happy with these tires. I am at this moment sitting in a recliner at Costco while they replace my old tires with identical new ones.

Costco is usually my first choice but they don't carry the size I need for my truck. I have purchased tires for my Honda accord from Costco and agree their service, price, and quality are hard to beat.

basautter - 9-15-2015 at 05:00 AM

I have had the same experience as Larry C. I run Michelin LTs on an 04 F250 4wd diesel, and usually carry a lot of weight. I have never has any issues. They are great on road, and good off road, but pricey.

MMc - 9-15-2015 at 07:51 AM

I have a friend in Alaska that loves his Michelin's LT and all his trucks run on are dirt roads 90% of the time. (He has a 10 or so)I do like the KO's and they are not the tires that toyota uses as the stock tire that some hate here. The KO's are much softer than the Michelin's, that's why the shorter life. America's tire is a great place for tires.IMHO.

Whale-ista - 11-25-2015 at 06:14 PM

rebate bump