BajaNomad

Stopped for Speeding on Hwy 2

Genecag - 9-14-2015 at 11:02 AM

On Sunday, while returning from Santa Veronica (40 mins SE from Tecate) was stopped by Federales on Hwy 2.

They got me with Radar cresting a hill and I was speeding......

Officer walked over and introduced himself and shook my hand. He said that I was speeding and that he could show me the reading.

He asked for my license and registration and asked if the truck belonged to me.

He told me that I would be getting a ticket and asked me to wait in the car.

5 mins later he came back and asked me to come with him to the back of the pickup. He opened my tail gate and used it as table and explained the ticket and that I could pay it on line and that I get a 25% discount for accepting the ticket and 25% more if I pay within 15 or 30 days.

He pulled out his ID card to show me his Name and Badge Number and showed me the same on the ticket.

He asked me to be safe and to slow down.

Very Professional and absolutely doing his job!

thanks for posting

John M - 9-14-2015 at 11:07 AM

....what I consider a positive experience. So maybe all the signage about radar enforcement isn't there just for show.

John M

Whale-ista - 9-14-2015 at 11:18 AM

Good to know. Is this between Guadalupe Valley and Tecate?

Maybe better roads-> higher speed -> more enforcement?

AKgringo - 9-14-2015 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Good to know. Is this between Guadalupe Valley and Tecate?

Maybe better roads-> higher speed -> more enforcement?

Highway 2 south east of Tecate would be toward Mexicalli.

Was that on the toll road, or the free route?

SFandH - 9-14-2015 at 11:56 AM

How fast were you going and what was the posted speed limit?

I find the posted speed limits to be way too slow. If it's 60 kph I'm usually driving 60 mph.

bajagrouper - 9-14-2015 at 12:00 PM

I was stopped out side Hermosillo by a radar cop and I was clearly speeding, I asked him when was the last time the radar gun had been calibrated.....He looked down and said pase, and I drove off doing the speed limit.........

rts551 - 9-14-2015 at 12:16 PM

around Guerrero Negro, the Federal police have been using radar for some time now.

larryC - 9-14-2015 at 12:32 PM

I'm curious abut the part where you could pay online. Did they seize your drivers license? I've heard in the past that is what they do and you retrieve it at the office after you pay your fine.
Larry

bajabuddha - 9-14-2015 at 12:34 PM

I've been radar zapped (and fined) at the Punta Chivato turn-off bus stop. Of course, I was only doing 110 in a 40 (km) zone, and it was just before xmas, so we both had a good laugh and his kids got some good presents thanks to my lead-foot. That was a while ago too, so Baja has had radar for quite some time.
:bounce: :coolup:

rts551 - 9-14-2015 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I've been radar zapped (and fined) at the Punta Chivato turn-off bus stop. Of course, I was only doing 110 in a 40 (km) zone, and it was just before xmas, so we both had a good laugh and his kids got some good presents thanks to my lead-foot. That was a while ago too, so Baja has had radar for quite some time.

I have never seen a Federal Police take Xmas money.

bajabuddha - 9-14-2015 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

You have now. And, I've seen a Federales shake down a friend who rolled his truck (one-car accident); scare the sh!t out of him and threaten two thousand dollar fine and two years in jail, when in fact a one-car accident in Mexico doesn't even get written up for citation; just reported for insurance purposes. My bud was so utterly panicked he was ready to faint, and this is after rolling over at least two times (curve right above Santispac), so they both walked away with $200 u.s. each, and told him NOT to show up at the Sta Rosalia Federale office; they'd send the report to Oscar's in Mulege (the wrecker).

They aren't all saints.

ncampion - 9-14-2015 at 01:15 PM

I was stopped just South of GN about a year ago. He had me on a radar gun going 70 mph. He was also very polite and told me that was not safe on that road and I should not go over 55 mph. He gave me that warning and said to "Have a good day". Very professional all the way. I do think that the Federal Police are generally good, but of course there can be a few bad ones.

Lee - 9-14-2015 at 01:46 PM

Sounds like DK here: I didn't see it, it must not be happening.

Not everybody is on the take, but many are and that includes the Feds.

David K - 9-14-2015 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
How fast were you going and what was the posted speed limit?

I find the posted speed limits to be way too slow. If it's 60 kph I'm usually driving 60 mph.

Yes, the KPH is often more realistically a MPH number!

The speed limit on Hwy. 2-D (toll road) in parts is 110 kph between Tecate and Mexicali, that's about 70 mph, and pretty fast for most of us.

I have even seen 110 posted south of Puertecitos when they first had a long section opened... So, new, wider roads, with shoulders... are getting more realistic speed limits. The old, narrow highways remain 80 kph (50 mph) however, as a top speed.

David K - 9-14-2015 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Sounds like DK here: I didn't see it, it must not be happening.

Not everybody is on the take, but many are and that includes the Feds.

Got me confused again...

I am also the one who sees and shows the sea level as anyone can see it, but populist opinion about sea level seems to go with government employees and politicians who may have never been to the beach!
:lol::lol::lol:

sancho - 9-14-2015 at 02:38 PM

Come on Lee, a perfect normal reading thread, and you have
to get you know who, all lathered up. Takes it very personal,
a real hair trigger

rts551 - 9-14-2015 at 03:12 PM

Ah geeze. here we go again. The Nomind pit. Sorry I posted anything.

bajabuddha - 9-14-2015 at 03:18 PM

Yo tambien, lo siento. :( Sea levels and Nomania strikes again.

[Edited on 9-14-2015 by bajabuddha]

durrelllrobert - 9-14-2015 at 03:25 PM

..and Breathalizers too? Or do they still just ask you if you are drunk?

rts551 - 9-14-2015 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

"Sounds like DK here: I didn't see it, it must not be happening. "

Come on Lee, a perfect normal reading thread, and you have
to get you know who, all lathered up. Takes it very personal,
a real hair trigger

How many other DK's are here? How is it hair trigger or possible to not take it personal?

Let me know... In the meantime, I will get back to work on my writing... just popping in to see if something fun or interesting is on Nomad, like it used to mostly be here... and can't we all just get along (and stop the personal attacks)?

Baja as it is and was... with the palapas and palm trees still along the beach in the same place they were in the 70's (why aren't they underwater yet?)!
:light::D:cool:;):rolleyes:;D

Just popping in to interject a little politics into the nomind pit are we? You would be better off working on your writing.

SFandH - 9-14-2015 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Genecag  

He opened my tail gate and used it as table and explained the ticket and that I could pay it on line and that I get a 25% discount for accepting the ticket and 25% more if I pay within 15 or 30 days.

He pulled out his ID card to show me his Name and Badge Number and showed me the same on the ticket.

He asked me to be safe and to slow down.

Very Professional and absolutely doing his job!

Good to hear. I have a similar good news story. I was stopped by a TJ cop last year on the highway that goes from the toll road to the border crossing. I was just past the turn off to Playas de Tijuana heading east, where there is a footbridge going over the highway. I was speeding for sure, very light traffic. He asked me to slow down, in Spanglish, which I speak, and let me go. This was a city cop. Nice guy.

Things change.

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by SFandH]

dtbushpilot - 9-14-2015 at 07:53 PM

Crossed at Tecate yesterday morning, headed via toll road to Mexicali, south through Coco's corner to San Ignacio for the night, on to Buena Vista today, walked the dogs down the beach to Rancho Buena Vista for an adult beverage with my sweetheart. It's good to be home......oh, almost forgot the topic of the thread: Drove as fast as conditions would allow, had to slow down a bit between San Felipe and Puertocitos because of the dips and in the curvy places because my cat Seth gets car sick otherwise it was peddle to the metal the whole way, never even considered the speed limit. Didn't get any tickets this time either.

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by dtbushpilot]

Genecag - 9-16-2015 at 09:01 AM

I was on the toll road (2) and got stopped just past the Distribution Center in the middle of nowhere past Tecate Free Road exit.

I was speeding (gravity was helping on the downhill). I think limit is 110KMH

The Officer took my reg and license to fill out the ticket and gave both back to me.

He was very professional. I am glad they are monitoring the roads and nice to see professional performance of their job.

David K - 9-16-2015 at 09:12 AM

Thank you!

To clear up any confusion...

The toll road is Highway 2-D
The older free road is Highway 2

mooose29 - 9-21-2015 at 04:06 PM

I was pulled over by the federal police after an illegal lane change by me that made the cop car have to pull off the road (thank God there was a dirt shoulder for him to pull onto) and even though he was rightly very peeed and read me the riot act for being a complete marooon. I only received a ticket, which once I showed proof that it was paid (about $30) I was able to retrieve my license.

dasubergeek - 10-23-2015 at 10:18 AM

I have. Between Puebla and Tlaxcala, they stopped our bus and the federales tried to shake down our Oaxacan driver. He pointed toward the bus and said look, I have a bus full of gringos with video phones and data plans, are you sure you want to do this?

motoged - 10-23-2015 at 12:39 PM

[rquote=999422&tid=80187&author=dtbushpilot..... it was peddle to the metal the whole way, never even considered the speed limit. ...
[Edited on 9-15-2015 by dtbushpilot][/rquote]

A Montana highway patrol officer once pointed out , as he wrote my ticket, that the ticket was for "compressing time and space in an illegal fashion".

That phrase was worth the $25 :biggrin:

Kgryfon - 10-23-2015 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
[rquote=999422&tid=80187&author=dtbushpilot..... it was peddle to the metal the whole way, never even considered the speed limit. ...
[Edited on 9-15-2015 by dtbushpilot][/rquote]

A Montana highway patrol officer once pointed out , as he wrote my ticket, that the ticket was for "compressing time and space in an illegal fashion".

That phrase was worth the $25 :biggrin:

Ha ha! Love it! :)

monoloco - 10-23-2015 at 05:28 PM

We were driving on the 4 lane between La Paz and Todos Santos last week, I was cruising at about 80mph and I noticed a car parked in the median and someone standing next to it, it turned out to be a Federal de Caminos with a radar gun and he was pointing it right at me. I thought for sure that he was going to nail me but as I passed, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him step out and flag over a car that was gaining on me in the left lane. I guess I dodged a bullet.

Cliffy - 10-23-2015 at 06:04 PM

I don't think any "local" can read a speed limit sign on Hwy 3 going to Tecate. I was the slowest thing on the road at 10 over the posted limit. Had numerous cars pass me on blind curves and had to go off the road twice to avoid head ons! That road scares me and its the only road in my life that has done so.

BajaBlanca - 10-23-2015 at 08:28 PM

this is the first I have heard of federales accepting a payoff. too bad, the corruption really has no end, does it?

durrelllrobert - 10-24-2015 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
We were driving on the 4 lane between La Paz and Todos Santos last week, I was cruising at about 80mph and I noticed a car parked in the median and someone standing next to it, it turned out to be a Federal de Caminos with a radar gun and he was pointing it right at me. I thought for sure that he was going to nail me but as I passed, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw him step out and flag over a car that was gaining on me in the left lane. I guess I dodged a bullet.

Same thing but not in Baja. I was running late for meeting in Tucson and driving the divided highway with median at WELL over the speed limit. I had a Hertz rental car with the "Never Lost" GPS system that not only kept track of my location but also knew where all emergency vehicles were. A female voice came on and said "are you sure you want to be driving so fast?". After another minute or two she said "There may be an emergency vehicle ahead" so I slowed down and sure enough, just as I crested a hill, there was a state police radar car in the median. Thank you very much Never Lost!

CortezBlue - 10-25-2015 at 04:20 PM

After many years of traveling to San Felipe I was nabbed heading north just before getting to the border. I played dumb with my Spanish. He wanted $1200P. I asked him if I needed to pay the ticket at the station or here. I opened my wallet and has a $500P and a $20us. He slowly opened his ticket book, I took the 20 and put it in his ticket book. It was then a fast, "Gracias Sr!" and off he went.

I have been hit up many times on the mainland, but a first in Baja

Rumrunner - 10-25-2015 at 05:42 PM

Several years ago late at night we came upon a police car high centered on the side of the road just north of GN. The officers were rocking the cruiser and spinning the tires. I asked if they needed help and then pushed the car back onto the highway. In doing so my bumper smashed a taillight. I apologized profusely, but he said it's not my car don't worry about it. He jumped in the cruiser and left burning Rubber like someone had informed him that Sancho was seen at his house. We proceeded to GN and spent the night. Left early in the morning for La Bocana with visions of all the big fish we were going to catch, bombing down mex 1, IPod cranking out 70s prog Rock, when we round a corner and two police cars are parked on the side of the road. One officer has a radar gun and flags me over. I see the cruiser with the smashed tail light from the night before, however I don't recognize the officers. He tells me I was speeding and pulled out a ticket book. Without thinking I blurt out " hey I pushed your car out of the ditch last night". He turns and looks at me with scowl and calls his partner over. They talk and then one of them who looks and sounds just like Tuco from the good the bad and the ugly says So... That was YOU! Now I have visions of taking bets with my inmates that I can eat 50 eggs...I finally say yeah that was me. They both start grinning and one says yeah we heard about it at shift change and had a lot of fun at the officers expense. Maybe Sancho was really there... They thanked me for the help and sent me down the road with a warning to slow it down. We had great week in LB and dropped off some fillets at the station in GN on our way north. Occasionally I see an officer in that area and sometimes get a wave, so I think they might remember the incident.