BajaNomad

The storm formerly known as Hurricane Linda made a U-turn, new rainfall record set in San Diego

Whale-ista - 9-15-2015 at 07:52 AM

Update: over 1 inch recorded, new record for September in San Diego

...and brought some HEAVY rain to San Diego this morning. My garden is happy.

More rain forecast locally: nearly an inch on coast, more inland.

Hallelujah! We need all the moisture we can get. (and a little less heat and humidity...)

The storm is still mixing things up in the ocean: elevated surf, another swell due to arrive here Thursday.

An introduction to the El Niņo to come?

[Edited on 9-16-2015 by Whale-ista]

Ateo - 9-15-2015 at 07:54 AM

Yeah, raining here in O'side as I type.................

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-15-2015 at 08:39 AM

Hola,

it's been steadily raining from about 3 A.M. in los angeles. the news at 8 A.M. said we had 2.28 inches of rain in downtown L.A.

great for the drought and hopefully for some of the fires that have been decimating california.

too bad it won't go all the way to alaska, passing over oregon and washington too, helping with their fires.

hopefully, it's giving our firefighters a good and well deserved rest and maybe send them home.

hopefully also, the areas that did burn won't get floods and mudslides or landslides.

just looked out the window and it's just a very slow rain now at 8:40 A.M.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

AKgringo - 9-15-2015 at 10:45 AM

DA RAT, For your info, Alaska has been getting plenty of rain lately! The creeks are full, and some snow in the passes already. I am hoping for some dry weather to get some yard work done before the ground turns white, and I hope it does this year.

woody with a view - 9-15-2015 at 10:54 AM

raining on us in So SD. sure beats the F@ck out of last week!

DENNIS - 9-15-2015 at 11:29 AM

All we're getting here is wind.....15 - 20 MPH.

StuckSucks - 9-15-2015 at 11:52 AM

Rain at LAX:

DianaT - 9-15-2015 at 12:18 PM

Yesterday around here it looked like rain was coming, it smelled like rain was coming, the wind said rain was coming and all it did was drip about 10 drops. But that is not unusual here in the rain shadow of the Sierras.

But the important thing is that it rained some on the Rough Fire in Kings Canyon and the temperature dropped which is helping the firefighters. And today we don't have the smoke from over the hill, and it looks very cloudy over the top, so we are hopeful!

They have been really worried about saving the Grant Grove of those huge sequoias. They have survived many a fire, but with the historic drought, the trees are very stressed. So we hope for more rain ----

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by DianaT]

rts551 - 9-15-2015 at 01:12 PM

drought is over.

woody with a view - 9-15-2015 at 01:45 PM

...and global warming is too!:biggrin:

i actually placed +/- 120 gallons of rainwater, which i caught in barrels this morning, around the yard with a 5 gallon bucket. much more efficient than relying on rain to soak the roots of the plants/trees/cactus.:light:

looks like the sun will come tomorrow!

David K - 9-15-2015 at 02:00 PM

Just ended here after steady showers all morning... Perhaps the wettest San Diego to L.A. County single day in the history of September?

Unusual in that it came in off the ocean like winter rains do and not drifted in from the desert, like summer monsoon thunder showers... what we get once or twice a year in the summer.

The drought is not over... further water restrictions and higher water rates aren't in place yet... THEN the "drought" will be over!

sargentodiaz - 9-15-2015 at 04:48 PM

There's a record strong el Nino and rain is in the forecast for many months to come. Will have record cold in the Northeast and most of Europe.

Do a search for ImaGeo and it'll give you the predictions of what's to come

Latest El Niņo Forecast: Expect It to Last Into Spring and Possibly Peak as One of the Strongest on Record @ http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo/2015/08/13/latest-e...

[Edited on 9-16-2015 by BajaNomad]

TMW - 9-15-2015 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The drought is not over... further water restrictions and higher water rates aren't in place yet... THEN the "drought" will be over!

Yep, one of the local water companies here in Bakersfield said they were raising the water rates. That's what they do, ask you to reduce the water you use then raise the water rates to cover their cost or expenses.

woody with a view - 9-15-2015 at 06:26 PM

same thing in SD. A-HOLES!

mtgoat666 - 9-15-2015 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yep, one of the local water companies here in Bakersfield said they were raising the water rates. That's what they do, ask you to reduce the water you use then raise the water rates to cover their cost or expenses.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
same thing in SD. A-HOLES!

Do you have a better solution or rate structure? Given that rate structures were developed in a time of steady or increasing water sales, do you think a flat unit rate scale is capable of covering costs in time of decreased water sales? Don't just complain, tell us your solution, smarty pants.

[Edited on 9-16-2015 by mtgoat666]

woody with a view - 9-15-2015 at 06:52 PM

like the rest of us have to deal with: layoffs of excessive personnel when times are tight. the infrastructure is there to move the water, the computers do all of the work and the billing is outsourced. if we're supposed to used 20% less water then they can make due with 20% less money coming in.

oh wait, that is common sense and we're talking govt agencies. my bad!

mtgoat666 - 9-15-2015 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
like the rest of us have to deal with: layoffs of excessive personnel when times are tight. the infrastructure is there to move the water, the computers do all of the work and the billing is outsourced. if we're supposed to used 20% less water then they can make due with 20% less money coming in.

oh wait, that is common sense and we're talking govt agencies. my bad!

Sometimes the financial reality of business or government is a bit more complicated than "common sense." I've met the common man, he is an idiot.

[Edited on 9-16-2015 by mtgoat666]

tripledigitken - 9-15-2015 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I've met the common man, he is an idiot.

That speaks volumes......

Whale-ista - 9-15-2015 at 08:24 PM

Well, it only took 12 hours for a simple post about storms, surf and welcome rain to transform into a "government is corrupt" political discussion...

Back on topic, sort of....

AKgringo - 9-15-2015 at 09:14 PM

It wasn't just Linda that came back east. Ignacio took a tour of the pacific and wound up soaking southern Alaska. I lost track of which way the other systems tracked, but one of them is dumping on South Central AK right now!

Whale-ista - 9-15-2015 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It wasn't just Linda that came back east. Ignacio took a tour of the pacific and wound up soaking southern Alaska. I lost track of which way the other systems tracked, but one of them is dumping on South Central AK right now!

Wow. These storms have legs. Lots of energy to sustain them that far north.

Thanks.

BajaBlanca - 9-16-2015 at 08:24 AM

I sure hope the rain up there will bring down temps and cool off La Bocana. It has been ridiculously hot and humid here............

SFandH - 9-16-2015 at 08:38 AM

Same here, from LA south. San Diego forecast has the return of hot and humid weather.

yuk