BajaNomad

Don't worry, be happy

durrelllrobert - 9-23-2015 at 08:38 AM

This month, an alarming report said ***ushima radiation had hit American and Mexican shores. The truth is, it’s only in trace amounts. The real problem is that it’s nobody’s job to check ever again.
Radioactive elements from Japan’s ***ushima disaster were found in the ocean on the U.S. Pacific coast last week. Alarmist fringe sites were quick to herald everything up to an alleged collapse of the Pacific fishery as the result of this four-year, trans-ocean trek.
And, even though it’s still gushing into the ocean in Japan, by the time that cesium-137 arrives on our own American shores Buesseler says it’s nothing to worry about.
“There are lower amounts of cesium the further you get from the source. Think about dropping dye into a bathtub. Eventually you don’t see it anymore.”
But just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Luckily, Buesseler can detect even the faintest trace of the element. It’s an expensive test, however, and there is no government support, or federal agency dedicated to doing their own monitoring.
So Buesseler decided to take the funding for sampling and testing to the people who were concerned. He set upourradioactiveocean.org, a site dedicated to crowdfunding each analysis and a central point to display his findings.
“It’s not the best science plan, because we have a lot of people in LA and Vancouver who can afford to do it,” he admits. “It’s not a systematic sampling, but at these low levels you shouldn’t be worried about living along the coastline. Yet we can learn something scientifically from when these isotopes arrive across the ocean, and you engage people by having them taking their own samples.”

[url=www.thedailybeast.com/.../04/.../how-radioactive-is-the-pacific-really.ht.
April 4, 2015]www.thedailybeast.com/.../04/.../how-radioactive-is-the-pacific-really.ht.
April 4, 2015[/url]

David K - 9-23-2015 at 08:53 AM

Thanks for the update... It did sure vanish in the news, since no radiation deaths or creation of a Godzilla-like monster happened (yet)!

I thought for sure Malarrimo Beach would get chunks for debris from Japan... with people claiming some was glowing in the dark!

SFandH - 9-23-2015 at 09:03 AM

They have recently started releasing the radioactive water that they collected in the huge tank farm they built. There is no other option. It's going into the ocean in a controlled manner.

The reactor cores still have not been located and large areas around the plant are still off limits. The reactor buildings themselves are hugely radioactive and extremely dangerous. Still many Japanese without permanent homes after they had to abandon their homes.

This is a HUGE environmental disaster and will be for years.

You want news, I have it. I've had my google news page display news about the disaster since it happened. I look at it every day.

https://news.google.com/news/section?cf=all&hl=en&pz...

SFandH - 9-23-2015 at 09:08 AM

According to data collected by the ***ushima Prefecture, 2014 saw 1,232 nuclear-related deaths. The two towns with the greatest number of deaths were both near the ***ushima plant: Namie, with 359 dead; and Tomioka, with 291 dead.

http://www.naturalnews.com/049277_***ushima_disaster_radiati...

People minimizing the seriousness of this accident clearly don't understand what happened.

durrelllrobert - 9-23-2015 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
According to data collected by the ***ushima Prefecture, 2014 saw 1,232 nuclear-related deaths. The two towns with the greatest number of deaths were both near the ***ushima plant: Namie, with 359 dead; and Tomioka, with 291 dead.

http://www.naturalnews.com/049277_***ushima_disaster_radiati...

People minimizing the seriousness of this accident clearly don't understand what happened.

I understand why Doug won't let us use the word ***ushima on this board and even though I don't have your experience working with radation I was responsible for a Navy lab that calbrated dosimeters for use on nuclear submarines. Everyone in the lab had to wear one also and I have a record of my gama ray exposure there. Unfortunately one of the technicians doing the calibration was caught deliberately calibrating the dosimeters on the low side and was ultimatly terminated, tried for treason and jailed.

[Edited on 9-23-2015 by durrelllrobert]