BajaNomad

Hammerhead shark takes on kayaker

Whale-ista - 9-23-2015 at 10:57 AM

Is this par for the course SOB?

Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly.... hammerhead sharks gotta stalk? Or only if you offer them tasty bonito on a line?

https://instagram.com/p/73t_-Pqf_E/

KurtG - 9-23-2015 at 12:06 PM

My commercial fisherman friends out of Port San Luis report seeing quite a few hammerheads which they say they have never before seen up here even in previous el nino years.

shari - 9-23-2015 at 12:17 PM

there have been several hammerhead sighting here in Asuncion too...one bit the stern of a Nomad's kayak out by San Roque! Needless to say we are all a wee bit nervous while swimming these days!

Surfers have seen brown sharks in the line up and Juan saw a couple while snorkeling on a wreck close to shore.

DavidT - 9-23-2015 at 08:37 PM

Hammerheads have been pestering the kayak fishers in La Jolla, San Diego for weeks now.
This guy was up in Santa Barbara and wanted his 15 minutes of fame.
If you look at all the hashtags most of them say "look at me".

freediverbrian - 9-23-2015 at 08:52 PM

sharks have been protected with laws and anti take pressure for 20 years. And some are surprised that more sharks equal more encounters and more attacks. It seams like common sense to me .be careful environmetalist for want you wish for.

bajabuddha - 9-23-2015 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
sharks have been protected with laws and anti take pressure for 20 years. And some are surprised that more sharks equal more encounters and more attacks. It seams like common sense to me .be careful environmetalist for want you wish for.

Please don't take offense to this, but sharks gotta eat too. They've only been around for over 200 million years, virtually unchanged other than size (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Let's kill off all the Grizz, the sharks, the wolves, so we can have more fun and take over the world for us.... to hell with everything else.

If you venture into another animal's realm (we don't have gills) you're on their turf, their rules. Ya spends yer money, ya takes yer chances.

oldjack - 9-24-2015 at 04:21 PM

As a frequent pursuer of fish from my kayak I am not targeting sharks....of any kind...it seems to me if I am cruising in there habitat that an aggressive shark is unusual and deserves what it gets... where do I buy one of those bang sticks...just in case...

SFandH - 9-24-2015 at 04:34 PM

I've been living in the San Diego area for 40 years, always by the beach. I used to surf a lot and owned a few boats. Never heard of hammerheads in this area before, El Nino or not.

Whale-ista - 9-24-2015 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I've been living in the San Diego area for 40 years, always by the beach. I used to surf a lot and owned a few boats. Never heard of hammerheads in this area before, El Nino or not.

Shhhh.... Nothīng to see here.

baitcast - 9-25-2015 at 07:16 AM

Hammerheads drop in for visits in the Long Beach area on warm water years and have for many years, they show often around La Jolla, I won a shark derby with this one and got him off the Seal Bch jetty,he was nosing around the surfers at the time:lol:
The Pal a Verde area was also a favorite area for them.

Bubba - 9-25-2015 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
My commercial fisherman friends out of Port San Luis report seeing quite a few hammerheads which they say they have never before seen up here even in previous el nino years.

Yes, I've been hearing the same thing. Some of these fish are very aggressive.