BajaNomad

Tolerance in the Tropics

Osprey - 9-25-2015 at 08:40 AM

Tolerance in the Tropics

Millions of expats living in the tropics make their way through summer days of 90° F and 70% humidity. Some live very comfortably in fully air-conditioned homes and condos while others find ways to fight off the conditions and accept what comes each simmering summer.

We split the difference; air-conditioning keeps us cool and happy in the bedroom where we sleep and gives us the strength to face the day.

When we need to move about we usually shower (I shave), put on fresh clothes so as not to offend those we come in contact with at the doctor’s office, the store, repair shop, paying a bill, etc. The problem is that on the way there, the heat and humidity make a mockery of all our good intentions --- at the market I look and smell very much like the hard working villagers who worked all day but now have to shop for the family.

Through all that I am ever more curious about the tolerance involved and my need to be presentable every time I can.

How much self pride is enough for me in this heat? I’m beginning to think that only my fellow gringos recognize and appreciate my attempts to be clean and presentable; that my Mexican neighbors have home grown tolerance for everyone and do not see my appearance as something offensive or exemplary depending on my preparation.

I really have little to help me gauge the thing but I know I have slipped a little in this El Niño furnace. I have caught myself a couple of times at the local tienda looking much like an El Paso dumpster diver.

How do other Nomads and Nomadams who live down here handle it?

[Edited on 9-25-2015 by Osprey]

vandenberg - 9-25-2015 at 11:43 AM

Jorge,
We have no trouble making it through the summer here in Loreto. We established kind of a system to stay comfy. Our large upstairs living room/dining room/ kitchen has 4 ton of a/c, one 2 ton and two 1 ton splits. At around 9 am we turn one 1 ton unit on and although it only brings the temp down to the mid 80's, the removal of about 5 gallons of water makes it feel like heaven when coming in from outside. To me, taking the humidity out of the air is the main trick to comfort.
We spend most of our time outside. One patio overlooks the golfcourse and the mountains and the other the course and the sea. Temperature seldom exceeds 90. thanks to a usual breeze from the sea.
Of course we have adequate a/c in the bedroom to make for comfy sleeping
And, for the cost? Our highest bill was for mid July to mid Sep. and came in at a little over $ 700.00, a substantial amount I admit, but ,since we don't have another place to escape to, we have little choice. Don't know of a place on the cooler coast we could go to for that kind of money.
So, just my 2 cents.
Happy Sweating !!!

Osprey - 9-25-2015 at 12:25 PM

Van, I think I know how most expats handle the heat -- maybe I wasn't clear about my curiosity.

How does one deal with attire and cleanliness day to day when out in the heat? At 95 degrees does a trip to the mercado warrant a shower and change of clothes?

vandenberg - 9-25-2015 at 12:35 PM

:light::light:
Take my morning shower and another if going for a dip in the sea.
For the rest I sweat with the best of them.:biggrin::biggrin:

ehall - 9-25-2015 at 01:26 PM

I'm not opposed to 3 or 4 quick showers a day when it is humid. One of the things I like about the Mexican culture is their lack of being judgemental about such things.

Tioloco - 9-25-2015 at 07:44 PM

Ed-
I agree with you. Especially if the shower water is cool. Often in summer the shower is hot in the summer whether you want it to be or not.

pauldavidmena - 9-26-2015 at 05:58 AM

My trip to Madrid at age 13 was the first time I was in a place where one bathed "once a week, whether you needed it or not". Taking a bus downtown in the middle of summer was quite the experience. Not a soul on the bus judged another based on appearance - especially the awkward American adolescent trying desperately to fit in.

mtgoat666 - 9-26-2015 at 06:55 AM

Dislike of heat and humidity is why I chose to live where there is only rare heat and humidity, and is why I don't vacation in tropics except in cool season.

David K - 9-26-2015 at 07:01 AM

I lived in Darwin, Australia (Northern Territory) for half a year with my dad (who had a gig there with the government). Not far from the Equator, there are only two seasons... the relatively mild Dry Season, and the steamy season the Aussie's simply call "The Wet" with daily thunderstorms and 90º+ temps. The 6 months I was there, I got to experience both.

The clothing was different than I was used to in California... men and boys wore short pants (unheard of in my age group in 1970 when I was twelve)! The shirts were a breathable fabric that didn't retain water... perhaps they were rayon, for perspiration or rain?

Ceiling fans were in all rooms, and far preferable to air conditioning if you went out often during the day. Just having air movement was wonderful in the otherwise motionless, sticky atmosphere.

bajabuddha - 9-26-2015 at 07:32 AM

I was in the tropics in double canopy jungle with nothing but a poncho and poncho liner for protection, and when it was wet, it was really wet. A week's unrelenting rain, and 19-24 y.o. guys would look like 80 y.o. wrinkled up hags. Point and laugh, and they'd pull out a little mirror, and the laughing switched.

33 years later I spent 3 days in Mulege the middle of August moving some dear friends' possessions from the Oasis back to Washington for them due to bad health reasons (and a good thing, a few weeks later Hurricane Marty hit; they would have lost everything). That stint was the worst I can ever remember.... being 33 years older didn't help much... but talk about mysery! 15 minutes outside without A/C you could take off the t-shirt and literally wring water out of it.

That's why most ex-pat 'full-timers' take the summer to head north and mooch off of..... err, 'visit' relatives and travel some for about 3 months a year. I figger it's like living in Phoenix or the Great White North; if you stay year-round, you play outside when it's nice and hunker in when it ain't. When it's hot, git'er done early... then siesta with a fan. Oh, and always maintain Juevos Hielados with a frio Pacifico.

vandenberg - 9-26-2015 at 07:43 AM

Mexican folks seem to handle the heat better than us. Especially the ones having to work in construction in direct sun. Work at about half speed compared to the same work in the States, no wonder.
When I stand waiting at the store's checkstand with the sweat dripping off my nose, ears and fingertips, the Mexican folks just smile at me and may say "Muy caliente!!".
As to the frequency of bathing, I grew up in a cold water flat in Holland and my sister and I were bathed in a zinc tub once a week with the water heated on the stove or bought at the waterstoker's down the block.(a whole other story) Than, getting older, we had public bath houses all over the city, where for 15 cents you got a 20 minute hot shower. Bring your own towel,soap and fresh underwear.. For me times have surely changed for the better.

[Edited on 9-26-2015 by vandenberg]

SFandH - 9-26-2015 at 08:07 AM

Apestoso and you need to make a quick trip to OXXO for cold beer?

Some deodorant, a fresh t-shirt, and away you go.

Russ - 9-26-2015 at 08:18 AM

I wear shorts and the fan is my shadow. Our water lines are 2" deep if not exposed so they heat up to HOT and the shower trick is no relief. I carry a damp towel around too and rinse it out during the day. If ridding around in the SxS it's like AC and I put a wet towel in the cooler for instant relief. When I go anywhere I slip on sandals and a shirt. After a few weeks of sweating I don't notice the STINK I give off or that of others. Each year is a little harder with age. A wet t-shirt really sucks.

Pescador - 9-27-2015 at 10:06 AM

I think I finally figured it out. I got a condo in Rosarito Beach and will migrate like the geese. There is relief getting goosed.:barf::barf: