BajaNomad

Whale Sharks and Jet ski's

Bajame - 9-27-2015 at 07:38 PM

Playa Burro allows jet skies and over Easter Vacation and anytime , they are so many . This area is where the Whale Sharks like to stay . They are frighted and injured due to the Jet ski users . It is the only beach that allows this . Having them there is not peaceful and it is not good for the sea life there . How can we get new rules that will protect the Sea Life ?

Tioloco - 9-27-2015 at 08:00 PM

How have you seen them frightened and what type of injury?

Whale Shark PTSD ?

MrBillM - 9-27-2015 at 08:11 PM

It sounds like a Shark Therapist is needed to treat the distress, but I imagine (unfortunately) that there aren't many in the area.

At least, I haven't heard of any.

Contact a Marine Veterinary Reference Service ?

Try an Internet search ?

How about Sea World ?

They have people who communicate with Killer Whales and Dolphins. The Whale Shark language may be different but, MAYBE, close enough ?

bajabuddha - 9-27-2015 at 09:25 PM

To Bajame:
You aren't going to get new rules, as even the old ones (and common sense for boaters) are non-existent.

To Tioloco:
I've seen several whale sharks, and about half of them have prop-damage to their heads, backs, and especially dorsal fins. In the years I was living at San Lucas, there was always radio chatter on channel 78 when whale sharks were close to the mouth of the cove; however, the Great White Hunters in their $50k boats would motor in the mouth at full speed and then key up to say "OOPS!"..... S.L. Cove has a tiny opening... you'd think the dumb-azz creatures would have the sense to know people have been motoring through there for DECADES, for cripe's sake. This also includes the half-dozen-or-so I've seen in the Burro/Posada/Coyote area. I bet most folks who have spent quality time with whale sharks will testify there's plenty of propeller or craft-damage to the Gentle Giants.

Back to Bajame:
I recommend the rule of the "Puppy On The Freeway"; keep on driving. You'll only end up with a yard full of dog-doo-doo. You can't fix stupid, and that seems epidemic recently on many fronts.

hombre66 - 9-27-2015 at 10:16 PM

Mr Bills post : Trite, smug , uncalled for and counter productive. Jet skis blow chunks. They disrupt every other activity in their paths and spew stink and noise to animals as well as other people that are trying to have a nice experience surfing, snorkeling SUP'ing, shore fishing, beachcombing, relaxing under an umbrella, et frigging cetera. Guess you think it's OK since they "can".

BajaBlanca - 9-28-2015 at 05:15 AM

bajame - I can contact costa salvage / wildcoast. They might be able to shed some light on the issue.

is there a beach anyone of you recommend for the jetskiers to use? one that is not a hangout for the whalesharks?

mtgoat666 - 9-28-2015 at 05:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

is there a beach anyone of you recommend for the jetskiers to use? one that is not a hangout for the whalesharks?

Water scooters are just plain bad everywhere. They are noisy. The people operating them are marooons, as evidenced by the behavior of the typical riders.

dtbushpilot - 9-28-2015 at 07:28 AM

I don't like jet skies, they are more than annoying but they have a very shallow draft and no propellers. Probably not a significant physical threat to whale sharks in the big picture, not sure about emotional damage. Please don't accuse me of being a jet ski hugger, I'm not.

dtbushpilot - 9-28-2015 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
bajame - I can contact costa salvage / wildcoast. They might be able to shed some light on the issue.

I hear La Bocana is nice. There is an estuary for beginners and access to the Pacific for seasoned veterans....:lol::lol:.....Just kidding Blanca...

Skipjack Joe - 9-28-2015 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Mr Bills post : Trite, smug , uncalled for and counter productive. Jet skis blow chunks. They disrupt every other activity in their paths and spew stink and noise to animals as well as other people that are trying to have a nice experience surfing, snorkeling SUP'ing, shore fishing, beachcombing, relaxing under an umbrella, et frigging cetera. Guess you think it's OK since they "can".

Well he gets off on that. Your response has just made his day.

CortezBlue - 9-28-2015 at 10:52 AM

Since all jet ski's that I am aware of use a jet flow of water and not a prop, I am not sure how much damage is being done from the bow of the craft?

gnukid - 9-28-2015 at 11:38 AM

Whale sharks aren't like whales and dolphins that have a radar like sense of movement around them, whale sharks are lumbering slow moving fish who often run into boats that are nearby. Whalesharks often are found with their mouth open at the surface feeding and filtering with their head at the surface. A slow moving or stopped panga is not likely to hurt but a jet ski that runs full speed into the head of a whaleshark could hurt them and cause brain damage. Swimmers may be found snorkeling nearby whalesharks. Jet skis are often oblivious to their surroundings and are capable of high speed and cut between boats or make unpredictable turns so providing an advisement to all boats including jet skis go slow in the area would be reasonable.

DSC02453.jpg - 126kB

bajabuddha - 9-28-2015 at 03:06 PM

What the fin is supposed to look like:
... off Rosa's point, La Perla, Conception Bay; fin is very visible in the distance:

What the fin is NOT supposed to look like:

OR THIS:

Boater education is the key. When it's 'the season' and they're in the vicinity, a few words over the radio, or a friendly chat about keeping an eye out for that big fin can make a difference. Pangeros are just as guilty (if not moreso) for running full-tilt, especially at night. Some damage is inevitable.