BajaNomad

Whale Sharks

sledneck - 9-29-2015 at 11:16 AM

My wife and I will be down in Cabo Pulmo next week, can anyone chime in on where we might be able to go and see some whale sharks? Thanks!

bajafreaks - 9-29-2015 at 04:34 PM

I've never really heard of any whale sharks in the Pulmo area but believe me I'm no expert. I know their in La Paz and I believe the season is starting soon.

bajabuddha - 9-29-2015 at 07:31 PM

I don't know the waters in that vicinity at all, but I do know they prefer shallower warmer sheltered bays and coves. When you get there, as all Baja has worked for the last 50 years (amongst us wanderers) interface with the locals in your area. ASK. TALK. This time of year I'd check out Bahia de L.A. on the way down; also the Burro/Coyote area in Concepcion...... a few beers at a local watering hole..... all the 'local color' is dying for someone new to chat with and swap war stories (not that their neighbors have become boring and tedious, noooo....) get some tips. Whale sharks just ARE: they can't read so guide books are useless. If you seek it, it will come. They are amazing gentle giants. I wish you well on your quest; to pet one takes slowness, patience, and...... did I mention patience?

There's a whale shark website (too tired to look it up) that lets you 'adopt' your own whale shark. If you photograph one, try to get the side/stipe of spots directy below the dorsal fin, because that's the area they use to identify each individual animal; all the patterns in that 'drop-zone' are different, and you can register the animal on the site for future identification/movement. I have pictures of about 6 different juveniles; i'll send the pics to the site right after I fill out my entry forms into the Procrastinators Of America Club. It's second on my list, I promise.
I truly hope in your lifetime you're blessed with the rub of communing with one... Buena Suerte.

BigBearRider - 9-30-2015 at 10:06 AM

I have been told by a local with family in Bahia de Los Angeles that there is a whale shark hanging out there year round.

sledneck - 9-30-2015 at 04:39 PM

Thanks for the tips, can someone recommend the best guide out of La Paz

bajabuddha - 9-30-2015 at 05:05 PM

Before you get to La Paz, and passing through Conception Bay, stop in at the first little restaurant on your right-hand side just as you come around the turn to Burro Beach. Stop in and ask if there's any whale sharks in the bay; the guy that runs it has a pontoon boat, and will be a lot cheaper than hiring a pangero in La Paz..... very knowledgeable. Or, cross the highway, go into Bertha's restaurant, have a beer, and talk with the workers or any of the locals that live there or in Posada. If there are critters in the bay, that's where you'll find out. It would be well worth your money to spend it there. La Paz bay is a mighty big place, and pangas charge dearly; the more the miles the more the bucks. Mulege has reasonable hotels too. Or, if you're camping there's 30 palapas or more within a mile or so.

Also, that little place first mentioned has absolutely the best chopped and baked Pismo clams with ham, cheese and pico de gallo I've ever had. The guy with the pontoon gets 'em fresh daily, tinfoil wrapped and baked in mesquite coals. He's probably the most knowledgeable (and eco-friendly) guy in the Bay.

Let us know how your trip went; post pics (if you can unravel the maze of how, and of course, our scholar will assist you free of charge).

sledneck - 9-30-2015 at 08:54 PM

This trip we will be flying down, we have a place about 2 miles north of Cabo Pulmo. There is only enough time for us to drive as far north as La Paz. Thanks again for the advice, my wife has a passion for animals and its a life long dream of hers to spend some time with the Whale Shark. I will defiantly post a trip report!

gnukid - 10-1-2015 at 05:53 AM

In La Paz many pangs leave from the beach where calle 5th of February meets the water.

Nezahualpilli Tovar Lee is a highly qualified panga guide who has his masters in marine biology and has an excellent boat. Ask to confirm the presence of whale sharks on the date you will go. The whale sharks are generally quite close to the Magote shore so it is n't a long trip and you may be able to incorporate more destinations if desired.

neztl@facebook.com
nez.tovar.lee(Skype)

[Edited on 10-1-2015 by gnukid]

No need for Hostility

MrBillM - 10-1-2015 at 07:41 PM

Sledneck:

".......I will defiantly post a trip report.......!"

volcano - 10-2-2015 at 04:55 AM

I believe some came into Frailes Bay a couple of years ago, briefly.....which is just south of Pulmo

bajafreaks - 10-2-2015 at 04:38 PM

Yes please give us a report. We will be in La Paz the first week of Nov. and plan to go on the same excursion.