BajaNomad

VHF hand held radio wanted

Howard - 10-3-2015 at 10:40 PM

I am in the market for a hand held VHF radio. Nothing too expensive or fancy. This will be used on my boat as a back up for emergencies in the Sea of Cortez if the main one fails.

Any suggestions without spend a lot of money?

Thanks

woody with a view - 10-4-2015 at 01:57 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=72374&pag...

Russ - 10-4-2015 at 05:33 AM

Excuse me Howard but don't cheap out on your "This will be used on my boat as a back up for emergencies...." hand held. I had a couple that only lasted 3 or 4 years with very little use. I bought an ICOM 4 years ago and the battery is still holding a charge for months. I just got home after 2 months away and it was fully charged when I used it 2 days ago. It came with a wall and DC charge cord. I got mine from Amazon for a little more than West Marine charges for a less expensive one. My first concern was to get the most recent update in a battery. Good luck with your search.

SFandH - 10-4-2015 at 06:55 AM

Based upon a recommendation of another Nomad, I just bought two of these for use in my small boat on Bahia Concepcion. I always stay within sight of land and never leave the bay.

I haven't tried them yet. One reason I went with these is that they can use regular AA batteries. They come with a rechargeable battery pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Nautico-Waterproof-Marine-Radi...

DaliDali - 10-4-2015 at 07:03 AM

Drop by and I will show you my Icom M-24 handheld.
No, I won't sell it to you, but you can get an idea of what it's like before pulling the trigger.
Touchy feely is a good thing.

$126 clams from Amazon

Howard - 10-4-2015 at 07:13 AM

Russ

What model do you have? After 4 years they probably have replaced it with another model but I probably can figure that out.

How's your dog?

Russ - 10-4-2015 at 07:31 AM

Howard, Mason is good. Used the rymidil sparingly and glad I did. After 2 months up North he really had a hard afternoon after the 1st day's walk but the rymidil really helped. The next morning he couldn't wait to walk and in the afternoon was only a little stoved up. Each day he seems to do better but I'm keeping him on the meds until they run out.
I put velcro over the back of the hand held to stick it on the Ranger so the model info is covered. You can do a google search and find what you want though. It's nice to have the AC/DC charger and a AA battery option too.

BajaRat - 10-4-2015 at 08:49 AM

Good luck on the hunt Howard. We are very happy with our HX870 6W Floating Handheld VHF Radio by Standard Horizon.

Floating IPX8 (4.92 Feet For 30 Minutes)
Built-in 66 Channel WAAS GPS Receiver
Waypoint Entry (200 Waypoints)
Navigate To DSC Distress Call
- w/ Compass Page
6 Watt Transmit power
Large Full Dot Matrix Display (1.7" W x 1.7" H or 2.3" Diagonal)
DSC Test Call & Auto DSC Channel Change Selection
Enter, Save & Navigate ,br/>- To Waypoint w/ Compass Page
Man Overboard function
Noise-Cancelling Function
- For Transmit & Receive Audio
USB Data Port: NMEA Output DSC, DSE, GLL, RMC, GSA, GSV & GGA
Programmable Scan, Priority Scan, Dual & Tri Watch
Battery Life indication
NOAA Weather Channel w/ Weather Alert
Water Activated SOS Strobe Light
NOAA Weather Channels & Weather Alert
Preset key To Recall Up-to 10 Favorite Channels
1800 mAh Li-Ion Battery
It also integrates with our Garmin echoMAP 44dv Chart Plotter/Sonar that has charts and Sat maps of California, Mexico's west coast and Baja California should you decide to travel with your boat.
And it all fits neatly on a small tin boat.
All the best, Lionel :cool:

wessongroup - 10-4-2015 at 10:33 AM

Pretty handy tool to have around .. good stuff

VHF

skippermike - 10-4-2015 at 10:49 AM

If you want a VHF to save your cookies - ICOM
If you want a quite good VHF - higher end Standard Horizon
If you don't care if someone hears or responds - any $99 cheapie
I've never had any ICOM VHF or SSB let me down in30 years.

Hand Held

captkw - 10-4-2015 at 06:17 PM

# 1 Icom # 2 Kenwood #3 standard anything else is junk!!

Gulliver - 10-4-2015 at 09:37 PM

I make a strong recommendation for a major brand but one that uses or has the option of using replaceable batteries. I keep not only the hand held in a zip lock bag but at least one set of alkaline batteries along with it in another baggie.

Some rechargeables hold their charge very well but I wouldn't bet on it for an emergency radio.

Romano - 10-5-2015 at 12:23 AM

This is funny. Icom is apparently the only choice. That's ridiculous lots of experience, and when it comes to VHF radios, which are a pretty simple device, there are only three manufacturers who can produce them?

This from "skipper" mike and "capt" KW. Any of you expert captains actually hold CG certs, or are we just playing here?

VHF

skippermike - 10-5-2015 at 06:07 AM

20+ years - USCG 100 ton license
ICOMS just are better.
Why bet your ass on something you don't completely trust?

Gulliver - 10-5-2015 at 07:04 AM

To clarify, I own and use a couple of the off brand units on a daily basis. One of them, Cobra brand, seems to run fine, is small enough to fit in a vest pocket and runs on AAA batteries for quite a while.

That said, you get what you pay for. You specified that it would be a backup and would sit in storage until (when) the main unit quit. I am received of all sorts of talk that the newer technology batteries hold their charge for long periods of time. How long? Well how long are you going to have this HT in backup mode? Are you going to have a regular schedule of testing and charging if needed? Hmm.

Alkaline cells have an amazingly long shelf life. The shelf life isn't affected by temperature and an extra set is a very good idea.

My main safety HT is a Standard Horizon that takes 8 AA cells and has had the living crap beaten out of it. The paint is starting to bubble here and there after ten years of salt spray and neglect. And I can row out to where my sailboat is anchored for six months at a time and turn it on right now with full confidence that it will come alive

As to cost, I found it on Craig's List for $80.

==============================

As a side issue, my partner and I do an occasional long passage. Just the two of us so we are essentially single handing since one of us is usually sacked out. A hand held VHF is an essential part of our safety program.

The main radio is turned on to Ch 16 with the volume turned up. No one is jabbering on the radio out in the ocean. Except me or Barbara if one of us should happen to be retarded enough to fall overboard since the on duty person has a HT wrapped on a zip lock bag as part of their mandatory gear, a self inflating life vest with integral harness, strobe light and the HT.

You cannot see a person in the water for more than a boat length or two in a seaway. The person in the water can see the boat for quite a ways. If you are enough of a dolt to fall overboard, you get that radio out and raise hell. You wouldn't believe how loud it is in the boat after days of silence. And you can tell the boat handler which way to turn to home in on you. Now this assumes that you are on good terms with your partner. Ahem.

The harness tether is clipped on just inside the boat where the off duty person can see it by opening one eye. If the on duty person must unclip to deal with something they ALWAYS wake the sleeper and tell them and tell them again when they are clipped in again.

The number one cause of stupid boat disasters is fatigue. If the off duty person is laying there with eyes shut and brain open, they aren't getting any rest.

Sorry about the digression but it is a life or death matter for us and the subject is all too often neglected.

Mike (not a captain but intending to die by being shot by a jealous husband at 98. Not lost at sea)

woody with a view - 10-5-2015 at 07:17 AM

here's to hoping you your intentions are realized!:biggrin:

"Ticket"

captkw - 10-5-2015 at 04:34 PM

I had a 50 TON and know CFR 46 and 33...I also found that U make more money fixing boats than sitting on them..I Consult and do a lot of radio work..new installs,SSB,DSC,trouble shooting systems with antenna "Tuners",,ground straps and shielding,back stays and became a HAM at a very early age...IMO Icoms make a Damn good radio..And that U can argue all you want..But,,That dosnt change the FACTS. and SORRY, You cannot compare a "cobra" (midland) in the same argument..not even close to a ICOM,,BTW a kenwood was the radio maker during WWII for japan and also makes a good unit!!

Gulliver - 10-5-2015 at 04:50 PM

Didn't say the Cobra was a great radio. Read my post. It is an adequate radio for ordinary use but I wouldn't depend on it in a crisis. For that I have name brand boat and handhelds.

As most of the posters here have said, buy an ICOM, or Standard Horizon or one of those better units as a back up for problem situations. If you just want to call from the beach to get picked up, then the cheap stuff is just fine.

Thanks for all your feedback and help

Howard - 10-6-2015 at 12:44 PM

I went with a HX300 Standard Horizon with a tray pack for alkaline batteries. Ebay for $137, delivered and no tax.

I really like the idea of alkaline batteries as an option and the M36 ICOM and tray was around $65 more.

Thanks again,
Howard

Yo Howard

captkw - 10-6-2015 at 07:44 PM

LOL,, Love your avatar !! good choice on a radio..you will love it.. BTW,, some where I have the paper work on how to "open" it..I used to talk with their tech and he faxed me the info...where its at the moment ?,, I don't have a clue !!:?: I have a Icom M32 and its a workhorse..the stock batt last forever on a charge,, So much that I have never used the alky tray pack.....K&T

pangamadness - 10-7-2015 at 09:25 PM

Get one that uses rechargeable and regular batteries. Then keep it in a water proof bag with a lot of extra batteries and some safety flares. If your alternator goes out your radio will not work if the batteries get to low. The motor will run for a while after the radio quits transmitting.