BajaNomad

Northern Baja Moto Trip

mufflerbearings - 10-12-2015 at 11:44 PM

Hola Nomads,

I've been lurking here for some time and not contributing anything in return, so I thought I'd introduce myself by way of a trip report.

But first, I want to extend a big thank you to the active members of this site, since I've gathered so much helpful information here concerning places to see in Baja.

I had a few free days recently, so I packed up my old Honda and pointed it south. I crossed at Tecate, where I secured my tourist card from INM and some adobada tacos at one of my favorite places. I hit the Compadre Trail towards Ojos Negros. I was somewhat concerned to see that survey crews have been busily placing flags and stakes along much of the trail, and there are some new concrete crossings over certain washes. Is pavement in the future for the Compadre? I hope not.

Parked at the charred remains of the old palapa at the south end of Compadre:

I crossed Highway 3 at Ojos Negros and rode the trial south past Rancho Tres Hermanos and down through Ejido Uruapan to Highway 1. I encountered these characters along the dirt superhighway from Santo Tomas to Erendira:

Coyote Cal's was my destination for the first night. I always run into interesting folks at Cal's. This time there was a nice mix of off-road types and Mexican families.

In the morning, I headed down the coast and found one of the blow holes was pretty active:

There happened to be a local desert race taking place that day, and the course was running along my planned route. Where else but Baja do you get scenery like this for a motorcycle race?

Some random scenery from getting lost along the edge of Cabo Colonet:

There seems to be less of the shipwreck at El Barco every time I see it:

Friends often ask me, "Why ride in Mexico? What's wrong with just riding in California?" Well, try this in California and see how long it takes to have your bike confiscated:

I made it as far south as El Rosario, where I had dinner at Mama Espinoza's. This was the first time I'd visited Mama's, and while the food was nothing to write home about, I was impressed by the old XR500 prominently displayed in the dining room. This gives me some ideas for my own home décor:

I spent the night at Cielito Lindo, where for 350 pesos I got a huge, sparkling clean, recently renovated room with two beds and indoor bike parking (with the permission and at the suggestion of the manager).

This was the first time I've stayed at Cielito Lindo, and I will certainly be back. Although the management is working to rehab the rooms, they've managed to retain the 'Old Baja' feel of the place. This is most evident in the dining room/bar, where I felt like I had stepped into the 1950's. It's really a very cool place.

Day three started with a leisurely ride back north on Highway 1, where I got a shot of my sexy gordita in front of the sexy gordita store:

I initially started up the Observatory Road with the intention of riding from Rancho El Coyote up to Mike's Sky Ranch, but before I got too far up the road, I had a stroke of good sense and realized that I would be foolish to attempt that route solo. I stopped for a rest in this little settlement along the Observatory Road:

I wasn't excited about riding Highway 1 all the way back through Ensenada, so decided instead to take the Wine Road from the military checkpoint north of Colonet to Valle La Trinidad. About halfway along this route, and a very long walk to anything resembling civilization, I found this bit of bad luck which reminds me that I should do some front-end work on my own Tacoma:

In Valle T, I was fortunate enough to find my favorite taco shop open and slinging quesatacos and Coca-Cola. This place alone was worth every mile.

From Valle T, a quick blast along Highway 3 and back up the Compadre Trail put me in Tecate in time for dinner. It was a short and uneventful trip, but it was enough to recharge for another week in the trenches. :cool:

ehall - 10-13-2015 at 04:57 AM

Nice ride. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site. Great pictures.

TecateRay - 10-13-2015 at 07:40 AM

Paving on the Compadre trail? Not in current budgets. Friends living in Neji and at El Compadre tell me that there is some talk of paving to Neji in the next few years, nothing further is in planning. It looks the survey marking is mostly for regrading and dirt road improvements. At least I hope that is the case.
GOOD ROADS OFTEN BRING BAD PEOPLE

shari - 10-13-2015 at 07:44 AM

glad you jumped into the fray dude...I loved your photos...had an essence of DavidK and his toyota! hahahaha...enjoyed the ride along...thanks for participating!

there is an amazing beach ride you may want to try someday a bit further down...at a good low tide, you can ride from San Hipolito...(just 45 minutes south of Bahia Asuncion on the beach road) all the way to La Bocana...gotta be over 45 minutes on the beach...super cool! there are lots of offroad dirt still in central baja to explore!

RE....bad luck

AKgringo - 10-13-2015 at 08:54 AM

What happened with the Toyota was 'unfortunate'.

'Bad luck' would be making it five feet farther!

Nice job on the report, it shames and inspires me at the same time.

David K - 10-13-2015 at 08:56 AM

Thank you for sharing the great photos and trip report! Welcome to Nomad.

No doubt the poor Tacoma was run off the road by some big Ford or Dodge truck using too much space! LOL

Enjoy Baja before they pave all the roads... it's happening right now!

BooJumMan - 10-13-2015 at 09:24 AM

Great photos!

Lower ball joint failures in those 4Runners/Tacomas are a common problem after 150k. Which you'd probably just want to replace anyways by then.

BornFisher - 10-13-2015 at 10:05 AM

Thanks for the great trip report. I recognize some of those bar stools at Cielito Lindo!!!

motoged - 10-13-2015 at 10:17 AM

Not much better than a few days riding anywhere in Baja....thanks for sharing the trip.

BigBearRider - 10-13-2015 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for the post. Brings back good memories, and reminds me that I need to take the bike down again.

Maron - 10-13-2015 at 11:57 AM

Great report and super photos

thks

StuckSucks - 10-13-2015 at 12:06 PM

VERY cool photos - thanks for sharing!

blackwolfmt - 10-13-2015 at 12:26 PM

looks like a great time thanks for posting what was your total bike miles

TMW - 10-13-2015 at 02:16 PM

Excellent report, love the pictures, thanks. I have only stayed at Cielito Lindo one time many years ago and it was not very good. Glad to see they are upgrading it. I do love the restaurant and bar. One of the best margaritas I have ever had.

I just had both lower ball joints replaced on my 04 Tacoma. I don't want to end up like that guy. I usually fall into ditches from poor driving.

SFandH - 10-13-2015 at 02:28 PM

Good job mufflerbearings, thanks for taking the time to post. Haven't been to Cielto Lindo in a bunch of years. Good to hear it's still operating. It's quite the hideout.

motoged - 10-13-2015 at 03:58 PM

Not a problem....only the left wing is damaged....

mufflerbearings - 10-13-2015 at 06:17 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words, everyone!

TecateRay, I'm glad to hear that the Compadre will not be smothered by the brutal pavement anytime in the near future.

Shari, I love that beach ride between La Bocana and San Hipolito. It seems like it goes on for days!

Blackwolfmt, I'm not sure of the total mileage for the ride, since I don't have an odometer or GPS, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 500-600 mile range, starting and ending at home near Palm Springs.

As far as the injured Tacoma, I couldn't tell if that was the result of a lower ball joint failure or if the LBJ failed due to the side load once he slid off the road. The driver had a long walk regardless. :(

Pacifico - 10-13-2015 at 06:38 PM

Great trip report and welcome! I just did a lot of that same route in my buggy... Great route! Beautiful bike, I used to have a XR 400...love those Hondas!

Saw you lived in Cat City, I work in Cathedral City!

mufflerbearings - 10-13-2015 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Great trip report and welcome! I just did a lot of that same route in my buggy... Great route! Beautiful bike, I used to have a XR 400...love those Hondas!

Saw you lived in Cat City, I work in Cathedral City!

Thanks Pacifico! Good to see someone else still has a soft spot for the XR's; it seems like I'm the lone red bike in a sea of KTM's everywhere I go these days. :lol:

Yep, I live and work in Cat City. I'm always surprised when someone knows where tired old Cat City is! My office is near the corner of Perez and Cathedral Canyon.

What kind of buggy do you drive? I deeply regret selling my well-built 1965 Baja a few years ago. I hope to someday soon build or buy a Subaru-powered Baja.

bajatrailrider - 10-13-2015 at 09:43 PM

Great ride report,I ride same area. Great pictures too!

mufflerbearings - 10-13-2015 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Great ride report,I ride same area. Great pictures too!

I'm glad you liked the photos, Bajatrailrider. One of these days, I'm going to bring my KDX down and sign up to ride some of your legendary stash of singletrack!

bajatrailrider - 10-14-2015 at 07:39 AM

Need hire you for your great pictures,and writing.Come play ride anytime.No need for tour,I ride every week. Id your KDX 200/220

David K - 10-14-2015 at 08:52 AM

Need hire you for your great pictures,and writing.Come play ride anytime.No need for tour,I ride every week. Id your KDX 200/220

Awesome Nomad Amigo Reply!

mufflerbearings - 10-14-2015 at 03:11 PM

:o. Wow! I WILL take you up on that! Thank you! What an awesome trip report that would be. I have a KDX 220 for the fun stuff. :biggrin:

micah202 - 10-14-2015 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
What happened with the Toyota was 'unfortunate'.

'Bad luck' would be making it five feet farther!

Nice job on the report, it shames and inspires me at the same time.

...yah really. Bad luck and amazing luck sometimes come side by side!