BajaNomad

Update on wiring Xtra battery and Fridge/Freeze

Santiago - 10-17-2015 at 08:02 AM

UPDATE: I bought the Wytner 85 quart, installed a 105AH AGM in the bed of the truck and Wirthco Battery Doctor 150amp 'smart' separator and the whole operation ran perfectly on a 4-day drive down. The separator works off of voltage, not current. Here is a pix of how they mounted it on my firewall.
[URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/santiago407/media/isolator_zpsdzrx3jwr.jpg.html][/URL

I may have my numbers wrong here but basically on starting the vehicle, it will keep the extra battery offline until the voltage reaches 13.3 or so, thus charging the starting battery to full and then connect the other battery. When voltage drops to around 12.7 (motor off by then), it will separate the extra battery. The fridge/freezer is connected to the extra battery the whole time.

What I really liked about the operation is that every morning, I would rotate my 2 frozen gallon water jugs from the fresh food cooler to the freezer, constantly replenishing the cooler. I use an Xtreme Coleman for the cooler which we are very happy with as well.

Down side is the 85 quart is big, prolly bigger than I really needed. Fully loaded, it's really a two-man operation to get it in the truck.

Costs: $200 for the battery, $450+/- labor and parts for the separator and wiring (I had a RV repair shop do this), $650 for the Fridge/freeze. Obviously, if you do the wiring yourself, you can save $300 or so. The value of an extremely happy spouse is unknowable, but more than this, fur sure.:lol:

By the way, the shop put in a female ciggy to plug in the freezer as that was the cord I gave them but I will change it out to Anderson connectors, had the wires fall off the bottom of the ciggy while bouncing around.

When at the cabin, it fit in perfectly with my four 6-volt golf cart battery solar system, although I did unplug it around midnight for 6 or 7 hours. Not sure if I really needed to.

We used to go to Baja, sleep on a folding cot on the beech, drink warm beer, eat what we killed, fished all day. If I had that body again, I'd go right back.:(

bkbend - 10-17-2015 at 09:06 AM

Thanks for the setup info, looks nice. It's amazing the creature comforts we enjoy as we age. I can remember having discussions with fellow campers about which beers were drinkable when warm because it was too much effort to leave the beach every other day for ice. Ended up drinking more tequila than beer.