BajaNomad

Mexico Sim Card zapped APN settings

jaymtb - 10-18-2015 at 09:17 PM

Hi,
I tried a Mexico Sim chip/Telcel chip in a Samsung S4 Active before using it. When I put the Consumer Cellular sim back in, the data would no longer connect.
Nice trick, Slim. Sounds a bit predatory.
I found that the APN for Consumer Cellular was gone! If you use one of these sim cards, best to note down the APN settings for your network - before inserting Telcel sim card. That way you can put them back or create a new APN when going back to your US or other network. If this happens, your vendor's tech should be able to walk you through the right settings. A big P.I.TA.

Thanks,
Jay

bajaguy - 10-19-2015 at 07:32 AM

I eliminated that problem by purchasing an unlocked Android (Samsung Galaxy J1) phone from these guys:

http://sam.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/65109/SPLT-Samsung-Pho...

I have a talk, text and data plan from Movistar for 200 pesos a month.

When we go to the US, we turn off the Movistar phones and turn on the Verizon phones

bajacalifornication - 10-19-2015 at 08:14 AM

I have T-Mobile with Canada and Mexico unlimited service.
And 2weeks ago the spouse and I went to Cozumel. The service worked great texting and calls alike. Tercel is the service my phone uses automatically.

pauldavidmena - 10-19-2015 at 08:53 AM

I did the same thing with an unlocked HTC One some years back and didn't have the same problem switching back. Since then, I've found that T-Mobile works pretty well when I'm SOB, although I do also have a cheap unlocked phone that I can use with a Telcel SIM if I find that T-Mobile isn't roaming satisfactorily.

jaymtb - 10-24-2015 at 08:05 AM

The phone is unlocked. Best to copy your settings before using other sims. J

pauldavidmena - 10-24-2015 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jaymtb  
The phone is unlocked. Best to copy your settings before using other sims. J

A word to the wise indeed. The HTC One I mentioned earlier was unlocked, so I suppose I dodged a bullet then. My current phone, an LG G3, is locked with T-Mobile. When I visit in January, I'll just use it with roaming on Telcel's network, since I'll only be there for a week.