BajaNomad

Tips for those new to 4x4 in the boondocks

PaulW - 10-22-2015 at 12:56 PM

Easy read and most all of us will trip onto something long forgotten. Especially good for newcomers or seldom back country users.
Sign in and download the pdf file.
http://www.metalcloak.com/category-s/317.htm

motoged - 10-22-2015 at 02:40 PM

Keep your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel....:coolup:

woody with a view - 10-22-2015 at 02:47 PM

bring beer, just in case!

bajabuddha - 10-22-2015 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Keep your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel....:coolup:

Double-ditto. I remembered that rule every time but the first. :biggrin:

motoged - 10-22-2015 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
bring beer, just in case!

Woody,
Just in case or just a case?

The Mexican cardboard boxes for bottled beer are durable units....at least they were a few years ago....not like NOB cartons....

Two cases make for "matched luggage" ! :light:

bajabuddha - 10-22-2015 at 05:00 PM

One thing about Baja 4x4-ing with bottled Pacifico..... you don't need an opener... :bounce: (get it? ... bounce?) :bounce:

PaulW - 10-22-2015 at 05:07 PM

Trivia
And did you all know the US sold Corona's have different volume than MX sold ones. And you cannot exchange US ones in MX. So when you bring Corona's south the bottles end up in the trash.
Boxes hold different number as well which is a dead giveaway.

woody with a view - 10-22-2015 at 05:18 PM

does Carta Blanca still exist? with the impression on the bottom of each bottle where you insert the unopened bottle, twist and VIOLA!

TMW - 10-22-2015 at 05:23 PM

Thanks Paul, good info.

Bob53 - 10-22-2015 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
does Carta Blanca still exist? with the impression on the bottom of each bottle where you insert the unopened bottle, twist and VIOLA!
I found a piece of beach glass in front of my house that was just the bottom of Carta Blanca bottle with that opener. Well worn down but still works.

Ken Cooke - 10-23-2015 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Trivia
And did you all know the US sold Corona's have different volume than MX sold ones. And you cannot exchange US ones in MX. So when you bring Corona's south the bottles end up in the trash.
Boxes hold different number as well which is a dead giveaway.

Place the US bottles inside your Trasharoo trash bag and recycle them back in the U.S. :light:

Trasharoo Off Road Trash Bag
http://www.trasharoo.com/TRASHAROO%20/Welcome.html

Cliffy - 10-23-2015 at 06:15 PM

On the point of the OP-
Use 4X4 to get you out of the trouble 2X put you in NOT use 4X4 to bury yourself and then try to get out :-) JMO
2 quick Baja Beer stories-
Brought a newbie down to BOLA early 70s. Got him 2 Cartas He didn't know how to open them Showed him on one of his which he then turned over to see the "socket" pouring the beer on the floor :-)
Had a friend get us stuck at the south end of BOLA on the beach. No jack, shovel or rope. I walked back to town (5 miles) in July NO WATER either, Met a guy coming south about a mile from town; He looked at me and handed me a Pacifico he just opened saying, "you need this more than I do". It was cold and went down in one gulp!