BajaNomad

Happy Halloween and Day of Dead

BornFisher - 10-31-2015 at 06:28 PM

One of the most important days in Latin America. Those highway shrines and graves will have fresh flowers and offerings and visitors for the next two days. Beautiful thing to remember those who have passed. Here is my altar, we lost 4 more this year.

alt2.JPG - 119kB

woody with a view - 10-31-2015 at 07:12 PM

nice altar you got there.

i light a candle (i have a LARGE one) on my mom and granny's birthday every year to remember them.

BornFisher - 10-31-2015 at 08:25 PM

Thanks Woody!! Now get out there and go trick or treating---- free candy!!!
Then tomorrow we will call on our ancestors!!
Hey check out this-- a chance to hear mariachi music and make an offering to the Surfing Madona!! Tomorrow, Encinitas, Ca!! And check out the poster-- hope they have t-shirts!! And it`s FREE!!!!
http://encinitasarts.org/2015/10/17/dia-de-los-muertos-2015/

BajaBlanca - 11-2-2015 at 07:45 AM

Happy Halloween and day of the dead to all. There is no school officialy, but the middle school is having an altar contest and I get to be judge.

The high school altars are always elaborate and I am very interested to see them at the middle school. Pics later.

BornFisher - 11-2-2015 at 10:01 PM

Pretty sure Encinitas had the only Surfing Madona shrine for The Day of the Dead. Surfing Madona caused the biggest uproar in Encinitas since the cook at Robertos` burnt a tortilla and an image of Jesus appeared!!
Great Day of Dead party, music, dancing, low riders, food, face painting and FREE!!! Pic of shrine--

SurfingMadonaShrine.JPG - 191kB

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by BornFisher]

basautter - 11-3-2015 at 04:34 AM

Happy Halloween and day of the dead (ok, I am a bit late or early, depending on how you look at it)!

BajaBlanca - 11-3-2015 at 07:01 PM

So I learned that different Mexican states have different traditions, I learned that in Guerrero : the altar has 3 levels which represent heaven, limbo and earth. On Earth they put the items of food/sport etc. that the deceased loved.

I did not catch what the Catrinas represent but I did catch that the family will meet with the priest and after the things they have brought are blessed, they will put them around the altar (food drink).