BajaNomad

Best Baja Off Road Skid Plate?

Ateo - 11-3-2015 at 06:56 PM

So my Toyota TRD skid plate is terminally damaged from a 7 sisters trip I did in May. I'm headed down for the Baja 1000 soon and need something that'll handle more than a pebble and grains of sand.

Any recommendations for a Tundra skid plate that can survive and thrive the Baja landscape?

Gracias.
Jon

Hook - 11-3-2015 at 07:18 PM

"I'm headed down for the Baja 1000 soon and need something that'll handle more than a pebble and grains of sand."

Are you speaking of your skid plate.........OR YOUR TRUCK!! LOL!!!!!

If the latter, getta Ford.

Let the claims, begin!!!

Hook - 11-3-2015 at 07:21 PM

Seriously, though, did the corrosion get to it or was it a rock or ?

David K - 11-3-2015 at 07:29 PM

Also Jon, was it the stock-factory 'thin' plate, or the optional TRD skid plate?

Ateo - 11-3-2015 at 07:30 PM

Nice one Hook! It was a 5 month old skid plate and I took it down a jeep trail and bottomed out/scraped more than a few times. But it was dark and I needed to get where I was going......it wasn't a rock, it was just the high center of the trail.

When I took it in for an oil change, Toyota said the skid plate was so damaged that they couldn't get to my oil filter.

So I've been without a skid plate for a few months now..............

I did own a Ford once.............I liked it.

Ateo - 11-3-2015 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Also Jon, was it the stock-factory 'thin' plate, or the optional TRD skid plate?

It was the TRD skid plate that came with the TRD package. Is that one step up from the stock factory plate? It's very thin and took a beating.

TMW - 11-3-2015 at 07:38 PM

I have Skid Row skid plates under my Tacoma. 3/16 steel. I have em under the engine, tranny and transfer case. Pretty tuff stuff.

I should add, not cheap.

[Edited on 11-4-2015 by TMW]

David K - 11-3-2015 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It was the TRD skid plate that came with the TRD package. Is that one step up from the stock factory plate? It's very thin and took a beating.

Not what comes with the TRD package... There is an optional heavy duty TRD plate that covers the whole bottom.

Tioloco - 11-3-2015 at 08:39 PM

I believe the witness already answered the question, counselor.

"It was the TRD skid plate that came with the TRD package. Is that one step up from the stock factory plate? It's very thin and took a beating."

Say it ain't so!

David K - 11-4-2015 at 12:29 AM

There are TRD (Toyota Racing Development) specialty accessories, and a "heavy duty" plate sold from the TRD accessory catalog is what I am referring to. I have owned 3 TRD Tacomas, and have survived on the stock plate, but they were beat up on all three Tacos. The heavy plate, like what racers have or similar probably would be less dented after some of our Baja trips.

BooJumMan - 11-4-2015 at 06:39 AM

For my IFS Toyotas I would run the Bud Built units! They are very heavy duty and highly recommended.

https://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details...

Now stop mentioning the 7 sisters!! :D

[Edited on 11-4-2015 by BooJumMan]

Ateo - 11-4-2015 at 07:19 AM

I like.

Maybe a black powder coat and I'm set to go. Good price range as well. Thanks.

Thanks for the responses all. Keep them coming if you have any favorites.

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
For my IFS Toyotas I would run the Bud Built units! They are very heavy duty and highly recommended.

https://www.budbuilt.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details...

Now stop mentioning the 7 sisters!! :D

[Edited on 11-4-2015 by BooJumMan]

bajatrailrider - 11-4-2015 at 07:38 AM

I had all skid plates custom made.In Mexico 3/16 steel engine/frt diff 70$ trans 70$ Transfer Case Aluminum 70$ Will get rear diff also done.

Martyman - 11-4-2015 at 09:50 AM

I have quite a few skid marks. Maybe a skid plate would give me better protection?? I'm also confused about the whole hashtag ###ineedaskidplate phenomena. I get it mixed up with hashmarks which are similar to skid marks.

Tioloco - 11-4-2015 at 10:15 PM

Too many hash browns may lead to skid marks. Or is it too many hash tags may lead to... Oh I can't remember!

Ateo - 11-5-2015 at 06:21 PM

Funny.

Well, lead time on the Budbuilt is a tad long. I need this in less than 7 days so I'm gonna have to look elsewhere.

Thanks.

BooJumMan - 11-6-2015 at 07:05 AM

Didn't see someone said Skid Row, but those are good too. I'd go for Skid Row or Budbuilt and be done with it. They are built for mild to moderate rock crawling. They won't yield!

Ateo - 11-6-2015 at 08:55 AM

Thanks soulpatch, TMW, DK and BooJumMan. I'm gonna hop on Budbuilt.com again today and see if I can get one any sooner than 12 days.

[Edited on 11-7-2015 by Ateo]

Ken Cooke - 11-6-2015 at 11:49 PM

Could you just straighten out your TRD skidplate - perhaps have a local fabricator beef up the one you already have, and save a few bucks?

Ateo - 11-7-2015 at 06:09 PM

Ateo - 11-7-2015 at 06:11 PM

Ateo - 11-7-2015 at 06:13 PM

I'll comment more later. Dinner time.

mtgoat666 - 11-7-2015 at 07:15 PM

A skid plate that will support weight of car w/o bending or puncturing is too heavy. You cant afford the gas mileage hit of adding structural and 3/8 inch plate steel. Skid plates on the market are mostly bling sold to rubes, are meant mostly for looks, and are considered disposable if you slam them on rocks with full vehicle weight or more momentum.

mpg

BajaBreak - 11-7-2015 at 10:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
A skid plate that will support weight of car w/o bending or puncturing is too heavy. You cant afford the gas mileage hit of adding structural and 3/8 inch plate steel. Skid plates on the market are mostly bling sold to rubes, are meant mostly for looks, and are considered disposable if you slam them on rocks with full vehicle weight or more momentum.

Surely the .2 mpg decrease from a 30lb heavier skid plate will be putting you in the poor house. Those expensive vulnerable drivetrain components be damned...:lol:

bajatrailrider - 11-8-2015 at 06:33 AM

Gee my Nissan Diesel only gets 33mpgs with 3/16 steel skid plates.Also they will support whole truck.

Ken Cooke - 11-8-2015 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Gee my Nissan Diesel only gets 33mpgs with 3/16 steel skid plates.Also they will support whole truck.

BajaTrailRider's Baja-proof skidplates look like they are up to the task of defending his oil pan and vulnerable engine parts from rocks.

Ateo - 11-8-2015 at 08:54 AM

Thanks people. My skid plate looks ALOMST ok, but the mounting brackets or whatever you call them are bent to hell. Toyota couldn't remove it to do an oil change without bending it more. Part of me thinks I could just bend it back and slam it back on, but will have a problem again down the road. Anyways, I have a call in to Budbuilt regarding lead times. Heading down for the 1000 next week. Thanks for your concern goat, but I can afford the extra $.50 in gas for a heavier plate.

Ateo - 11-13-2015 at 05:23 PM

Just an update while I'm killing time here at the bar......budbuilt lead time was too long. I'm headed south for surf and the Baja 1000 this weekend. Ended up over paying ($400) for a TRD Pro skid plate instead.

Hope I won't need another one while owning this truck. The stock one is crap, or that jeep trail I took in the seven sisters was just a Baja anomaly. I was cautious and rubbed a few times.

I'll report back if I survive.

David K - 11-13-2015 at 05:34 PM

Put the tires on the high parts of the trail, even if it means driving over ugly rocks. Those high crowns on the ungraded roads can get you if you drive in the smooth tire ruts. The old main road between Rancho Sonora and Agua Dulce was really hard to not smash the skid plate on my 2001 Tacoma, I recall.

bajatrailrider - 11-13-2015 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

BajaTrailRider's Baja-proof skidplates look like they are up to the task of defending his oil pan and vulnerable engine parts from rocks.

I had to get the skid plates,after Ken took me boulder dashing.