BajaNomad

Mission Santa Maria/ Canyon

Pappy Jon - 11-6-2015 at 06:34 PM

What is the latest on this trail? Is the mission still accessible by road?

David K - 11-6-2015 at 06:53 PM

Yes... 2010 was the worst I think, as that was the last WET year... many bridges were washed out in Baja, remember? Well, it's been 5-6 years and the NORMAL wet will return again this winter, "they say"! I would go to Mission Santa Marķa before then!

Sit back and watch us have fun going to the mission, May 2010:

Oh, and watch Art (edm1) climb up the Widowmaker the next day is pretty exciting!:

David K - 11-6-2015 at 06:59 PM

Here is one year ago, for a more recent look:

Pappy Jon - 11-6-2015 at 08:36 PM

Thanks David. I was under the impression that the storms a year ago did a number on that road. The last time I was there was March 2013.

Ken Cooke - 11-6-2015 at 11:43 PM

Please be sure to write up a trip summary when you return. I want to know what the road conditions were!

4x4abc - 11-6-2015 at 11:51 PM

great picture!

Ken Cooke - 11-7-2015 at 12:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
great picture!

I took several really good photos on this particular run. I had many published in the Cal4Wheel newsletter. Good times.

Meany - 11-8-2015 at 09:19 AM

My friends; George&Pam Kelley and my self just got back from a trip out to Playa La Trinidad for a couple of days camping on the beach. The road to the Mission is good for trucks. The road to El Gato is ruff and after that it is boulder hopping ruff trip to the beach. We were in two RZR. and it took use from Bonfil to the playa 7 hrs. The Beach is very deserted and beautiful. Hope some day they make a new road out there. The shore fishing was Great. I have Pictures but can't bring them. I gave them to Russ maybe he can post a few? :bounce::?:

Meany - 11-8-2015 at 09:52 AM

OOps!! OOps!! Wrong Mission. I stand corrected. We went by Santa Marta. Sorry Poppy Jon. Still a Wild trip...

David K - 11-8-2015 at 10:55 AM

No mission at Santa Marta, but it was a stop on El Camino Real between San Ignacio and Santa Gertrudis!

[Edited on 11-8-2015 by David K]

DianaT - 11-8-2015 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Meany  
My friends; George&Pam Kelley and my self just got back from a trip out to Playa La Trinidad for a couple of days camping on the beach. The road to the Mission is good for trucks. The road to El Gato is ruff and after that it is boulder hopping ruff trip to the beach. We were in two RZR. and it took use from Bonfil to the playa 7 hrs. The Beach is very deserted and beautiful. Hope some day they make a new road out there. The shore fishing was Great. I have Pictures but can't bring them. I gave them to Russ maybe he can post a few? :bounce::?:

Would love to see the pictures --- I hope Russ posts some. Glad you made it out there this year.

nandopedal - 11-9-2015 at 11:12 AM

Hi Jon, we were there this last April it was very doable but I don't know about this summer rains, if you go just stop by at Rancho Santa Ynes and ask "Oscar" he keeps inform usually by whomever has gone recently.

Mike Kay - 11-9-2015 at 01:16 PM

Nice pics.

We set up base camp out front of Rancho Santa Ines in Feb. on our annual 8 day ride. Warm up was a ride back to the ruins. Route was in good shape.

'Oscar' whose wife and kids have been trying to get control of the ranch for decades (no clear heir after she died) quickly came by for 'camping fees' and we bought some firewood, and he agreed we could take cold showers in one of the rooms. I think some folks dont realize thats an option when camping there.

We raised out 'dont tread on me' flag and set up camp.

One of baja's more interesting gringo's stopped by for a chat. He lives just across the arroyo north of the ranch. What a character and great source of local lore. (name withheld intentionally). We got the low down on plane crashes, local politics, and more. Great guy if you get the chance to chat with him. The route out from the ranch passes within 100 yards or so of his house. Its worth checking in and getting the latest.

We rode the semi-secret single track dirt bike routes that encircle the area for a couple days, finally leaving once rain and wind pushed us south.

David K - 11-10-2015 at 08:36 AM

Are you saying Matilda died?
Josefina Zunigo (sp?) was the owner of Santa Ynez for ages and she died several years ago. Her ranch hand/ foreman was Fred Hampe, who took over after Josefina died. I had heard Fred sold it to Don Briggs of Vista, Ca but have not gotten much more data than that.

Oscar and Matilda have been managing the ranch for many years.

Here they both are, seated, on the right...